Linebrink on DL, Wassermann Called Up

Heads22

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
He was talking about Jenks.

Ahhh ok I misheard him then... s*** I am losing my hearing lol Then again I try not to listen to Hawk too closely because he drives me nuts most times.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Aside from the MRI, is there any indication this is career or even season ending????

No.

Anyway, if Josh Fields is the key to getting some quality pitching in here, the Sox should not let Crede's injury nix the deal. Josh's production at the plate is not that much better than Uribe's to offset his poor defense compared to Juan's.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Aside from the MRI, is there any indication this is career or even season ending????

Nope. He's been able to throw, but some stiffness has been there and I think its been preventing him. My guess is it won't be anything which needs surgery (or at least not in-season) and we'll see him take two to three weeks off and be back okay. Obviously its just a guess since no MRI results are in.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
Nope. He's been able to throw, but some stiffness has been there and I think its been preventing him. My guess is it won't be anything which needs surgery (or at least not in-season) and we'll see him take two to three weeks off and be back okay. Obviously its just a guess since no MRI results are in.

Isn't this similar to the problem he had at the beginning of spring training?

That was solved with rest and a little bit of Herm's magic.

Edited by scenario

This is at least two threads today where I've seen people itching to trade Fields. Considering that he's our current third basement and our most sensible option going forward after this season, that seems crazy to me.

Why have we waited this long to put Linebrink on the DL? It would seem that at this point, if we put him on the DL retroactively, he'll be eligible to come off pretty much immediately. If we just call up one of our stronger pitchers from the minors, we'll be much better off than we were today.

Ozzie needs to adapt to the current state of the bullpen. Dotel should've pitched most of the seventh and eight innings tonight, even if it meant he wouldn't be available for a couple games. This was a situation where we absolutely needed one of our best relievers on the mound. If the same situation arises tomorrow, then that's when you sacrifice and go with someone shaky like Masset.

The bullpen may need to be reorganized, particularly if we don't make a trade. Jenks and Dotel should pitch the late innings and pretty much everything else should be up for grabs as of right now. Considering how bad guys like Masset and Logan are struggling, it's entirely possible that Haeger, Wasserman, or Egbert could be our third or fourth best reliever right now.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
No.

Anyway, if Josh Fields is the key to getting some quality pitching in here, the Sox should not let Crede's injury nix the deal. Josh's production at the plate is not that much better than Uribe's to offset his poor defense compared to Juan's.

As a defender of Juan's, I'm worried that if he's got a set spot in the lineup he'll go hacking away for the fences again. As we sit right now, he gets a spot start here and there, goes 2-3, knocks some doubles, and we're all smiles. It just seems like he needs a fire under his ass to produce. Fields has had one game with the big club this year, and has already been productive. (Dare I entertain the thought of signing Uribe cheaply to continue his current role in the future?)

People's memories are poor. Fields was one of the few bright spots of that s***covered '07 season. Keep him here to spot the lamb for the rest of the year, then trade Crede off to a gyros place in greek town during the offseason. Fields fails? The reward of a slugging third baseman is greater than the risk.

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
The bullpen may need to be reorganized, particularly if we don't make a trade. Jenks and Dotel should pitch the late innings and pretty much everything else should be up for grabs as of right now. Considering how bad guys like Masset and Logan are struggling, it's entirely possible that Haeger, Wasserman, or Egbert could be our third or fourth best reliever right now.

My guess is that Jon Link is the next to get a shot if need be. He could stick. The 40-man roster is at 39 with Loaiza gone so he could be added easily.

About trading Fields, if the deal lands us a very good pitcher to add to our rotation then I'd be all for it. Jose has his issues and is on the DL, Gavin and Danks should both wear down a bit as the end of the season dwindles down, and Javy has been mediocre for a while now. If we don't make a move then there's a good chance that Buehrle is our only dependable starter come playoff time if we get there.

If Fields goes as part of a deal for a pitcher, then you simply call up Getz or Richar to add depth. If you want to add a bit more versatility you can bring up Bourgeois. He's not on the roster so if you need a spot just cut Dewon Day.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

My guess is that Jon Link is the next to get a shot if need be. He could stick. The 40-man roster is at 39 with Loaiza gone so he could be added easily.

About trading Fields, if the deal lands us a very good pitcher to add to our rotation then I'd be all for it. Jose has his issues and is on the DL, Gavin and Danks should both wear down a bit as the end of the season dwindles down, and Javy has been mediocre for a while now. If we don't make a move then there's a good chance that Buehrle is our only dependable starter come playoff time if we get there.

If Fields goes as part of a deal for a pitcher, then you simply call up Getz or Richar to add depth. If you want to add a bit more versatility you can bring up Bourgeois. He's not on the roster so if you need a spot just cut Dewon Day.

[/quote in charlotte who is currently the closer for the Knights.. He is no longer a prospect. Born in '75 he has ups and downs in the majors. I had to look far and wide on what he had in the tank.. first of all what i did find is that he is presently pitching great at charlotte.. he has 7 holds has an .74 whip lefties ar batting .139 and righties are batting .164 against him.. He doesn't throw in the upper 90s but his fast ball has a lot of movement his breaking as it was said' is crisp.. the article also added that he makes hitters hit his pitches. It won't cost much to see and right now he's the best we have to fill a temporary role.. He hasn't gave up an earned run in his last 10 appearances, has 9 saves, and 7 holds. This 33 year old might be our best choice to replace linebrink or Thornton.. Give him a try and let Russel and one man Wasserman continue to hone their skills at charlotte..............

[/quote in charlotte who is currently the closer for the Knights.. He is no longer a prospect. Born in '75 he has ups and downs in the majors. I had to look far and wide on what he had in the tank.. first of all what i did find is that he is presently pitching great at charlotte.. he has 7 holds has an .74 whip lefties ar batting .139 and righties are batting .164 against him.. He doesn't throw in the upper 90s but his fast ball has a lot of movement his breaking as it was said' is crisp.. the article also added that he makes hitters hit his pitches. It won't cost much to see and right now he's the best we have to fill a temporary role.. He hasn't gave up an earned run in his last 10 appearances, has 9 saves, and 7 holds. This 33 year old might be our best choice to replace linebrink or Thornton.. Give him a try and let Russel and one man Wasserman continue to hone their skills at charlotte..............