7/25 Games

danman31

Knights go nuts, win 15-4

Bourgeois 3-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI, R, K

Richar 1-4, 2 R, K, E

Getz 3-5, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R

Broadway 6 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 5 K, 4 BB, 4 H (2 HR)

Barons fall 7-4

Cassel 5 IP, 5 R (4 ER), 2 K, 2 BB, 10 H

Hogs lost 8-0

Socolovich and pen 2-hit Lakewood

Morel 2-4, RBI

Socolovich 6 IP, 3 K, 2 BB, H

Great Falls loses 7-2

Bristol won 10-4

Silverio 2-5, HR, 3 RBI

Lin 6 IP, 1 ER, 8 K, BB, 5 H

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
I'd be surprised and disappointed to see Getz starting at 2B

very much agree

I'd expect and be content with him coming off the bench next year, getting time at perhaps 5 or 6 different spots on the field.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
I really want O-Dog for 2-3 years. Sox should/will have the money for it.

The Sox should have ample money to do something like that. I'd easily offer O-Dog 3yrs 24M and that would make him one of the higher paid 2Bmen in baseball. You could plug him into the 2 spot without any problems and know you'd get gold glove defense to go along with Ramirez at SS. Man I would be happy with that.

On top of that, I'd honestly have no issues with the Sox moving Konerko and finding a way to get Figgins (if they legitimately could) and either play him in CF (I think he'd be perfectly fine out there with Swisher moving to 1B) or have him at 3B (with Fields being sent wherever else and in this instance you wouldn't have to move Paulie). I say that because I truly believe the Sox have enough power already that if they got a guy like Figgins they'd be totally set (not to mention a 9-1-2 of Ramirez/Figgins/ODog would be very nice. Financially the Sox would be able to afford such a lineup with ease as well (and still have money to throw at Danks/Floyd a year or two from now on some extensions plus pay Jenks).

I don't like how that bench looks, but it's obviously just a rough estimation, so nothing is concrete. I also wonder whether the Sox would be hurting themselves slightly defensively by putting Ramirez out in CF rather than at SS or 2B...he's obviously decent out there if he started the first two games of the season, but it'd just be weird to see him switching around so much.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Look at Getz's splits, they're horrible.

I'm assuming that was supposed to be in green, but if not... what's the horrible part?

Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

vs Left .322 115 18 37 6 1 2 13 10 21 4 3 .370 .443 .814

vs Right .300 223 34 67 16 0 7 30 23 25 5 1 .364 .466 .830

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=460051

The home/away differences are significant this year, but quite possibly a one-year anomaly since his overall averages are consistent year-to-year and park factors aren't consistent between leagues. I'm looking up info on his previous year splits and will post them if I can find them.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm assuming that was supposed to be in green, but if not... what's the horrible part?

Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

vs Left .322 115 18 37 6 1 2 13 10 21 4 3 .370 .443 .814

vs Right .300 223 34 67 16 0 7 30 23 25 5 1 .364 .466 .830

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=460051

home vs. road....

still IMO getz is the best position prospect we have (not counting fields or beckham)

not sure about defense, which is a huge part of hudsons game, but eventually i think getz gives you similar on base and power numbers as hudson, granted thats certainly not a given and is almost certainly not going to happen right away

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Getz's minor league ISO is

A good example of where the averages probably mean squat.

Look at what actually happened:

(1) In 2005, after graduating from Michigan... practically went straight to low A-ball (hit 1 homerun in 214 at-bats)

(2) In 2006, was promoted to AA Birmingham, skipping Winston-Salem (hit 2 homeruns in 508 at-bats)

(3) In 2007, got hurt and missed half the season (hit 3 homeruns in 278 at-bats)

(4) In 2008, has 9 of the 14 homeruns you mentioned in a little over a half season. (9 homeruns in 329 at-bats)

Pushed ahead of schedule 2 years... hurt the next year... healthy this year. So, what is the appropriate basis for projection?

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
I wouldn't really say Getz has been pushed abnormally fast. He turns 25 years old next month. He was not injured during college and still compiled an ISO

Just because someone is a specific age doesn't mean he'll rapidly adapt to being pushed up a level of competition. At Kanny, he was 21 years old - the 3rd youngest position player on the team. Ditto his first year at Birmingham... only 22 years old. And the league average age of the Southern League was 24. So, he was 'pushed ahead'.

I'm not expecting him to become Chase Utley. But the trend 1, 2, 3, 9 (in a half season) suggests more than park factors going on (skill development, etc.)

I went on to minorleaguesplits.com and negated park factors and he still projects at 7 homeruns this year so far.

And he doesn't have a 'slap' type swing. He drives the ball. So, I think what we'll see going forward should be 'something' more like what we're seeing this year.

Looking back at his college stats, he didn't hit alot of homeruns, but his SLG was in the mid-400's and his OPS was in the high-800s. (That's clearly better than singles-hitter production.) So I don't think it shouldn't be surprising that he has a .449 SLG and .814 OPS this year rather than being in the 3's and 7's.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
I wouldn't really say Getz has been pushed abnormally fast. He turns 25 years old next month. He was not injured during college and still compiled an ISO

Getz also has the best track record of strike zone discipline of anyone in our minor league organization...before this year i would have agreed with you that he is just a singles hitter...but getz also has 21 doubles this year...on pace for mid 30s... what is puzzling to me is that he was never really a doubles hitter before this year either...but i also think the talent jump from AA to AAA is more significant than the jump in park factor from bham to charlotte, but maybe not

either way, if getz continues to show that this moderate power he has shown is for real, than its time to take him seriously... power is generally the last tool to develop and maybe hes just finally developing

i realize sweeney was considerably younger, but frankly their numbers were fairly similar and everyone around here creamed their pants over sweeney...which isnt to say i think getz will be better than ryan, i just like what i see right now from getz, and if it continues i think hes a big league player

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Looking back at his college stats, he didn't hit alot of homeruns, but his SLG was in the mid-400's and his OPS was in the high-800s. (That's clearly better than singles-hitter production.)

You aren't accounting for his batting average. Subtract his batting average from his slugging percentage to find his isolated power during those years and the largest you get is .121. The lowest you get (his last year, junior) is .046. A prototypical power hitter will be above .200 and a singles-hitter will be around .100 or lower

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
You aren't accounting for his batting average. Subtract his batting average from his slugging percentage to find his isolated power during those years and the largest you get is .121. The lowest you get (his last year, junior) is .046. A prototypical power hitter will be above .200 and a singles-hitter will be around .100 or lower

Yes. The ISO numbers reflect the fact that he hasn't hit alot of homeruns in the past.

So I'm assuming you're suggesting that his power this year is simply a park-related fluke? (Yes?)

I'm suggesting that he hits the ball harder than a prototypical singles hitter... in other words... he's more of a Mike Fontenot type hitter than a Ryan Theriot type hitter... and that the improved power numbers are a natural result of his mechanics and his development.

Players with the proper swing mechanics often grow into more power. That's what I think is happening.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
A good example of where the averages probably mean squat.

Look at what actually happened:

(1) In 2005, after graduating from Michigan... practically went straight to low A-ball (hit 1 homerun in 214 at-bats)

(2) In 2006, was promoted to AA Birmingham, skipping Winston-Salem (hit 2 homeruns in 508 at-bats)

(3) In 2007, got hurt and missed half the season (hit 3 homeruns in 278 at-bats)

(4) In 2008, has 9 of the 14 homeruns you mentioned in a little over a half season. (9 homeruns in 329 at-bats)

Pushed ahead of schedule 2 years... hurt the next year... healthy this year. So, what is the appropriate basis for projection?

You're once again ignoring his home/away splits. All of his home runs this year have been in Charlotte and he is slugging a pathetic .337 away from the bandbox in Charlotte. Everything about him screams utility player and nothing more.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
You're once again ignoring his home/away splits. All of his home runs this year have been in Charlotte and he is slugging a pathetic .337 away from the bandbox in Charlotte. Everything about him screams utility player and nothing more.

If you want to assume that he's nothing but a utility guy, that's your right.

Me... I think he's better than that.

We'll see.

(And I don't think a half-year of home/away splits tell us anything.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
(And I don't think a half-year of home/away splits tell us anything.)

I think that can be looked at both ways. He could very easily be a better power hitter than a guy that puts up a .334 slugging...he's also not going to do what he does at Charlotte though either.