7/26 - SOX @ DET 6:05 PM CDT, CSN

knightni

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Except in the instance of very talented, toolsy players as they typically have the pure athletism to get away with certain flaws, imo.

That's what I'm saying in a nutshell.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
Hopefully Danks didn't lose focus while Verlander was out there throwing all those pitches.

Danks is not one to lose focus. If he's off, he will suck for the whole game and get pulled early. He's on tonight.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Good discussion. Now hopefully Walker can make the right adjustment to Fields or Anderson (both would be fantastic).

This will sound like heresy, but Quentin needs some work too. Not NEARLY as much obviously, but you can see in his average vs. lefties.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
Good discussion. Now hopefully Walker can make the right adjustment to Fields or Anderson (both would be fantastic).

I still say the rebuilt swing from Anderson looks mighty fine, although I'm not a hitting coach. He just hasn't had the playing time to really get it working.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
This will sound like heresy, but Quentin needs some work too. Not NEARLY as much obviously, but you can see in his average vs. lefties.

When Walker tried to mess around with his positioning in early June, everyone got furious because Q's numbers dropped a bit. Of course, Q was also dealing with a bad hand or something at that point, but it was still clearly walker's fault.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I still say the rebuilt swing from Anderson looks mighty fine, although I'm not a hitting coach. He just hasn't had the playing time to really get it working.

Its a massive improvement, but its a swing that will be relying heavily on pure athletism to fix the existing flaws in it. However, I think the main problem with BA is a poor approach which is partially due to a severe lack of consistent playing time. I really believe Anderson should be down getting a full season in the minors so he can really see if the adjustments worked. If they do, the Sox could have found themselves with a legit CFer on there hands for next season. But now I don't know if they'll ever have that cause I don't think he's ever going to be given a shot to start (unless an injury occurs).

It would be stupid for the Sox to hand him the CF job since he really hasn't shown anything in a couple years to prove he's worthy of being a starter (again, he hasn't necessarily had the chance either).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)

Anderson vs. lefties: .189, .491 SLG

Quentin vs. lefties: .200, .484 SLG

Quentin draws walks better therefore his OPS vs. lefties is 100 points higher. The point I'm getting at here is that Anderson also hits RHP pretty well and had splits similar to Quentin's before he hit his cold streak - since then, he's only been batting against LHP and hasn't been able to rectify it. I'm not trying to draw any conclusion that Anderson will be the offensive player Quentin is for the record, I'm pointing out that they have similar holes in their plate approach.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Ugh. Are both of those unearned runs? Alexei didn't really have to go for the highlight reel throw there.

1 is unearned.