7/27 - SOX @ DET, 12:05 CT, WGN

knightni

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
It's not as bad as when we had Everett out there, but it's the same type of danger - that at some point it's going to hurt you in a real bad way, and you'll know you could have stopped it very easily.

Kenny Williams has done a fine job as GM, but we really haven't had a center fielder for 3 years. He must know that.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Swisher - 4th best OBP on the team, no?

Also the value of that trade is getting that much OBP for the money you pay him each year. Making that move instead of Torii allows you to spend a lot more in the next year to improve other positions.

When your main offensive weapon is a walk and you have 6 career SB, its really not so impressive.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
I've had enough of the Javy era. This guy will always be a talented underachiever. The only thing he's done in three years here is f*** up our draft position last year.

I hate the guy. But the thing is, I don't really think Javy is all that talented. Sure, he nibbles, which is ridiculous. And his location on pitches is often bad. But the fact is that he hangs an awful lot of breaking pitches, which means that they're basically not breaking. And that's a matter of consistent execution, which IS a reflection of talent.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
I hate the guy. But the thing is, I don't really think Javy is all that talented. Sure, he nibbles, which is ridiculous. And his location on pitches is often bad. But the fact is that he hangs an awful lot of breaking pitches, which means that they're basically not breaking. And that's a matter of consistent execution, which IS a reflection of talent.

He's had a couple outstanding seasons. I think it shows he has talent. The thing is he does best the worse his team is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
When your main offensive weapon is a walk and you have 6 career SB, its really not so impressive.

Swisher hasn't hit as well as he has the best two seasons. But walking is still more of a weapon than Konerko has shown at the plate. Both of those guys have been big disappointments. But as lousy as Konerko has been I'm also not in the bench him or trade him camp because I wouldn't be surprised at all if he broke out and got real hot. Same goes for Swisher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
He's had a couple outstanding seasons. I think it shows he has talent. The thing is he does best the worse his team is.

Not fan of his, never have been. And I completely agree that he's not to be trusted in any situation requiring fortitude. But having watched him for 3 years now, I also think he's just not as talented as many believe. His stuff is just too inconsistent to consider him otherwise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)

except that when your team gets 50% of its runs through the HR, you kinda want people on base.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
except that when your team gets 50% of its runs through the HR, you kinda want people on base.

Totally agreed. He fits well in what the lineup does best. We're not going to steal bases or be amazing at small ball this year or next.

All or nothing with HR is frustrating, because there are so many days like this.

But it's what we are, what we're going to be for at least another year or two i'd bet. So his contract figure fits well within that for a few years and allows us to make other moves.