LOSS: Chicago 4-6 Detroit

justBLAZE

At this point in the season it's safe to call an upcoming series the biggest of the year, and even if we sweep and make it a 5.5 game lead, that's not enough to feel safe until there's a late september champagne party in the Sox locker room. That day comes and I'll smoke a nice cuban imported Montecristo cigar somewhere innaporpriate.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
At this point in the season it's safe to call an upcoming series the biggest of the year, and even if we sweep and make it a 5.5 game lead, that's not enough to feel safe until there's a late september champagne party in the Sox locker room. That day comes and I'll smoke a nice cuban imported Montecristo cigar somewhere innaporpriate.

Not sure if you think the Sox have a 3 game series with Minnesota or you think the Sox are only 1.5 games ahead. But it's a 2.5 game lead with a 4 game series, if they swept the Sox we'd be down 1.5 games, but if the Sox sweep it'd be a 6.5 game lead. I don't think either is going to happen so it'll probably be in the middle. I'd be content with a 2-2 to be honest. I just have a bad feeling the Twins will win the series 3-1.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

How do you find an inappropriate place to smoke a cigar in the Yukon Territory?

Poor ABs by the guys in the 9th inning helping Rodney out. But oh well we took 2 of 3 in Detroit (who has been playing solid ball lately) We are 6.5 games ahead of them and remain 2.5 games ahead of Minny, we gained a game on Detroit which is a success. This Minny series will be the biggest of the year. 1st place is on the line. Minny has been scuffling a bit, we need to take advantage of that. It would be great to go into that series with a new SP and/or relief pitcher. Its too bad KW is pretty much said he's not going to make any deals.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
we took 2 of 3 from Detroit and that's solid

+1

It isn't easy to sweep a team, especially one that has a lineup like Detroit's. I wouldn't expect a sweep against the Twins, either. But if the Sox continue to win 2 out of every 3 from here on out, they'll most likely win the division.

For everyone who constantly rails on Konerko and Vazquez, how about Swisher and Vazquez. I know a lot of people here take no stock in pitcher's win/loss records, but you have to find it peculiar that Vazquez was 11-12 when the Sox won 90 games, 15-8 when they lost 90 games and 7-9 on a team that's been in first place most of the year. I wouldn't characterize it as a guy who has to grow a pair necessarily, maybe he's too revved up. Whatever it is, its not good, and needs to be fixed quickly.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
I just have a bad feeling the Twins will win the series 3-1.

I think it's safe to say 90% of those on this board feel exactly the same, MN at home has always had not only our number over the years.... but many many other teams whose long ball strategy LOSES to duck snorts, crappy choppers on the trampoline-turf, and speed.

Aside from the bomb to center, HRs are a b**** to come by in that place, and when the Sox are posed with having to slap hits in gaps (the only way to win in that place IMO), they're just not equipped. This is a seriers where an opposite field hitting Wise, Ramirez, Cabrera, and even Konk if we'd be so lucky, would be great.

I seem to recall game after game cursing the TV as some ridiculous mis-hits fall in the gap in the 8th and 9th for twink winners. They never seem to straight up dominate there, rather eek wins out

For everyone who constantly rails on Konerko and Vazquez, how about Swisher and Vazquez

Swisher's on base percentage I guess has made many fall in manlove with him. I can't fall in manlove with a guy hitting in the .230s. He has had a few hits as I recall helping us win some of these more sloppy games of late which I commend him for. And I think we won the game in which he hit two bombs. Those bombs were nice. I don't understand the love for Swisher, however, but it is certainly out there.

Edited by greg775

Winning game one would be nice. It always is nice to win the first game in the other team's park. Did you guys sense a lack of caring in Hawk and DJ today? It was like we won the first two and that was all that mattered. Indeed winning the series is all that ultimately matters, but I thought with the pitching matchup in our favor and our bats alive of late, it was prime sweep time. One at a time, White Sox. Win that opener on Monday!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Winning game one would be nice. It always is nice to win the first game in the other team's park. Did you guys sense a lack of caring in Hawk and DJ today? It was like we won the first two and that was all that mattered. Indeed winning the series is all that ultimately matters, but I thought with the pitching matchup in our favor and our bats alive of late, it was prime sweep time. One at a time, White Sox. Win that opener on Monday!

Not sure if it was there with Hawk and DJ...but sometimes it seems to be the MO for this team when they win the first two games of a series the past few years. This team should have CRUSHED Miner...and the 9th inning was terrible ABs. Like many said...I'm happy taking 2 of 3 though. I'll be happy with a split in Minny...but taking 3 of 4 would be great. Hoping this team comes out with a chip on their shoulder tomorrow and pounds this team into the ground. If Gomez is out too...tough s***skis....

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
Anyone know the status on Carlos "Sox Killer" Gomez? I never want to win due to injury, but I'll take him being out for 15 days.

Why is it that people don't want to win because of injury? Would people prefer to lose when the other team is healthy? Just honestly curious

I don't give a s*** whether opposing players are injured or not. I don't wish it upon them, but if they are injured, I'm not going to say I'm saddened by any stretch of the imagination, and if said injury helps my team win more games, then it's even better. At the end of the day, I'll take the win whether the opponent is healthy or not.