Manny Ramirez

iamshack

Sources told Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto that Manny Ramirez is on the verge of being traded to the Marlins for three players.

Perrotto says one of them is top outfield prospect Mike Stanton. Baseball Prospectus isn't the best source for breaking news, but Perrotto is a veteran reporter for the Beaver County Times and is pretty trustworthy. Still, it's worth noting that Ramirez is still in the game for the Red Sox. Jul. 30 - 7:37 pm et

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07...al_that_in.html

Manny in three-way deal that includes Marlins, Pirates?

A new wrinkle has been added to the Manny Ramirez to Marlins' scenario. A source told MLB.com that a three-way trade may be in the works.

Under this scenario, Ramirez would go to the Marlins, while Jeremy Hermida would go to the Pirates, and Jason Bay would go to the Red Sox.

The Marlins are not afraid to roll the dice and gamble. Team president David Samson, when asked on the team's flagship station, 790 The Ticket, was asked about the Manny Ramirez rumors.

"The Marlins always seem to be in the middle of everything," Samson said. "I don't know how we do that every deadline. We're spending all day trying to figure out a way where we can get better, to stay good, to try to figure out a way how we could win this thing. Everything is possible."

-- Joe Frisaro

by Will Carroll

The Commissioner’s Office has been informed of a deal involving the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins. The Commissioner has to sign off on any deal involving cash considerations of more than a million dollars, and there was clearly going to be cash involved in any deal involving these teams. There’s also some formality about Manny Ramirez waiving his 10-and-5 rights, and no-trade clause, and I’ll admit not understanding the technicalities.

So here’s what Pee Wee Herman would call the “big but”: the teams, I am told, have not agreed on the specific prospects to be included in the deal. It’s expected that in addition to the principals, the Red Sox would get John Grabow and give up two prospects, while the Marlins would get one prospect and give up two. There’s still a lot of haggling but my scribbling notes make it look like the structure of the deal is:

Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (Red Sox), and cash (likely covering Ramirez’s remaining salary)

Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two Marlins, one Red Sox)

Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

There is still potential for this to fall apart over the prospects, but things appear closer now than ever before.

Link.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Thats a retarded deal for the Marlins.

Are you counting 2 draft picks on their side also? I'll bet they have an arrangement that ManRam will not have his option picked up and will decline Arb if that goes through.

Marlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash, prospect from Red Sox

Red Sox get: Jason Bay, John Grabow

Pirates get: Ryan Tucker, Jeremy Hermida, one prospect from Red Sox

that clears it up a bit more, for me atleast. Thats the latest news i see about it. Pirates do alright if they get Lowrie from the Red Sox, but it doesnt look like it and I dont what the Marlins could get from the Sox minors

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
Marlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash, prospect from Red Sox, 2009 1st round draft pick, 2009 sandwich pick

fixed

post_snapback.gifMarlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash, prospect from Red Sox, 2009 1st round draft pick, 2009 sandwich pick

Thanks, where you hear that one from, and how does the whole trading of picks work, I thought picks couldnt be traded. If they can, it just never happens.

Edited by JFields27

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Thanks, where you hear that one from, and how does the whole trading of picks work, I thought picks couldnt be traded. If they can, it just never happens.

Picks can't be traded but the Marlins will get 2 draft picks as compensation when Manny signs elsewhere in free agency.

1.) Manny rates out in the top 20% of OF, 1B and DH for the '07/'08 seasons by the Elias Sports Bureau, making him a Type A player

2.) The Marlins decline the 2009 $20M option they hold on Manny

3.) The Marlins offer Manny arbitration

4.) Manny declines arbitration

5.) Some team signs Manny in free agency

6.) If said team finished with a top 15 record in 2008 and did not sign any other Type A free agents before signing Manny the Marlins get that team's 2009 1st round pick as well as a sandwich pick (somewhere between 31 and 45 overall)

6.a) If said team had finished with a bottom 15 record and has yet to sign a Type A free agent the Marlins get said team's 2nd round draft pick

6.B.) If Manny is signed by a team that has already signed a Type A free agent then the Marlins will receive either a 2nd or 3rd round pick depending upon said team's 2008 record.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)

He means it as when Florida doesn't pony up the cash to Manny in the offseason to re-sign him, they'll get those picks. Just like how Milwaukee will in the end have 5 first round/sandwhich picks next year after losing Sabathia, and how the Sox will get 2 for losing OC.

EDIT- Beat me to it.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
He means it as when Florida doesn't pony up the cash to Manny in the offseason to re-sign him, they'll get those picks. Just like how Milwaukee will in the end have 5 first round/sandwhich picks next year after losing Sabathia, and how the Sox will get 2 for losing OC.

EDIT- Beat me to it.

yeah, you couldnt correct me again bummer ... :cheers

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
Picks can't be traded but the Marlins will get 2 draft picks as compensation when Manny signs elsewhere in free agency.

1.) Manny rates out in the top 20% of OF, 1B and DH for the '07/'08 seasons by the Elias Sports Bureau, making him a Type A player

2.) The Marlins decline the 2009 $20M option they hold on Manny

3.) The Marlins offer Manny arbitration

4.) Manny declines arbitration

5.) Some team signs Manny in free agency

6.) If said team finished with a top 15 record in 2008 and did not sign any other Type A free agents before signing Manny the Marlins get that team's 2009 1st round pick as well as a sandwich pick (somewhere between 31 and 45 overall)

6.a) If said team had finished with a bottom 15 record and has yet to sign a Type A free agent the Marlins get said team's 2nd round draft pick

6.B.) If Manny is signed by a team that has already signed a Type A free agent then the Marlins will receive either a 2nd or 3rd round pick depending upon said team's 2008 record.

yeah thanks for going through all that if actually wrote it all out haha , I guess i just didnt pick up what you meant at first

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
yeah thanks for going through all that if actually wrote it all out haha , I guess i just didnt pick up what you meant at first

Yeah that was just off the top of my head, it should be accurate though.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...730ramirez.html

The Palm Beach Post has a tentative deal in place that looks like this:

The Marlins would get Ramirez for Hermida, right-hander Ryan Tucker and two other prospects, with those four players being flipped to Pittsburgh for outfielder Jason Bay and left-hander John Grabow.

The Red Sox would send the Marlins enough cash to cover the remainder of Ramirez's contract, as well as a prospect to be announced.

Pittsburgh would get Hermida and three prospects - two from Florida and one from Boston. One of the Marlins' prospects is believed to be Tucker

Then from Rotoworld via SI.com's John Heyman:

In an article updated at 11:50 pm EDT, SI.com's Jon Heyman says that a deal between the Marlins and Red Sox for Manny Ramirez is close and that the teams have relayed their dealings to the commissioner's office.

That goes along with what Will Carroll wrote earlier. The Red Sox will need Bud Selig's approval since they're expected to pick up the $7 million that Ramirez is still owed as part of a deal. Heyman says it's no lock that the Pirates will be part of the trade, though Pittsburgh is clearly in Boston's ideal scenario. The Red Sox want Jason Bay, but they could try to mix in a different third team. Heyman adds that the Dodgers were willing to part with Matt Kemp for Ramirez, but that those talks are on the sidelines now.

If this deal doesn't get done Will Carroll won't be the only one with egg on his face.

Alright, changing views here a little bit.

What are people thoughts of what Bay will do in Boston? He'll be in a big market now, unlike Pitt, I think it will be interesting to see him play in Boston and see if he goes right to the 4th spot to the lineup.

I think it's a great trade for Pitt, as Hermida's going from a terrible place for lefties to hit to a great place for lefties to hit. Jason Bay is nowhere near the hitter that Manny is, and the Red Sox would have been better off getting Matt Kemp for Manny straight up.

BDD_MR_favre_7.30.08_nesn.jpg

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
I think Bay can be overrated or underrated, depending on who you talk to. I do think he's feasting a bit on NL pitching, so a move to the AL might hurt his numbers a bit, though he could very well destroy the monster.

I'd expect his numbers to balance out and stay similar. Not seeing NL pitching hurts him, but Boston compared to Pittsburgh for a righty power hitter is just an incredible upgrade.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I love Manny sometimes. Pretty much all the time.

Just about everything he's done has been good for a laugh and harmless unless you're the Red Sox ticket guy. TO causes problems. Brett Favre is causing problems (sad for me to admit). Board Game caused problems, although in his defense he's been a boy scout since he went to Texas. What has ManRam done other than be clutch and badass at the same time? ESPN makes him out like he's cancer personified. His co-workers don't seem to mind him, certainly his pitchers don't. I want him to stay in Boston because it's like a good tv show when he's there, and it's the only reason I pay attention to the Red Sox anymore. And I guess I enjoy watching Wake pitch, but he's a whole hell of a lot less fun. Some say he s***s on the game. They need to take a closer look at baseball's past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Are you counting 2 draft picks on their side also? I'll bet they have an arrangement that ManRam will not have his option picked up and will decline Arb if that goes through.

I've read in a few papers that Man Ram is going to make a stipulation before accepting a trade that the team will not exercise his options, thus allowing him to become a free agent. Of course I haven't seen that mentioned with this proposed deal.