Manny Ramirez

iamshack

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
The RedSox and Manny doing their annual "I hate you" dance...

Yawn

They'll be kissing and making up soon...

Yup, in a week or so Manny will be in the media saying how much he loves it in Boston and the next time he runs out of the monster the fans will give him a standing O.

See 07,06,05,04

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Theo Epstein has said he will deal Manny Ramirez if Manny would waive his 10 and 5 rights. Manny has since said he will waive his no trade rights should the Red Sox work out a trade.

With Ortiz just coming back and still a bit of a risk because of the injured wrist, might the Red Sox be interested in a package built around Konerko? Possibly something involving Poreda and Getz? I know Manny has quite a bit more value than Paulie right now, but considering Manny's $20 million options in 09' and 10' may need to be picked up in order to make a trade work, as well as Boston's desire to really rid themselves of him this time, I think his value comes down a bit.

Swish could then move to 1b, Quentin could move to center, with Manny taking over in left.

Would that OF defense be decent enough for this to be a positive impact? Would Manny's antics scare Kenny and Ozzie away? Would the Red Sox trade him within the American League?

Would this lineup scare the s*** out of other teams?

1) OC

2) AJ

3) Manny

4) Q

5) Thome

6) Dye

7) Swisher

8) Alexei

9) Crede/Uribe/whomever

Thoughts?

Sorry, bored on a Sunday after a loss...

No offense, but the White Sox have a better chance of signing me than trading for Ramirez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
I'm going to be completely honest and say that you lost me when you said Quentin would move to CF. I just couldn't foresee Quentin being an even average defensive CFer.

He's having enough trouble adjusting to LF, I even imagine the sort of problems he'd have in center.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
He's having enough trouble adjusting to LF, I even imagine the sort of problems he'd have in center.

I'm not going to say that I'm certain of this, but from what I've seen of Carlos is that he speeds up quickly...good short-distance speed, which is perfect for LF and RF...gets decent to good reads on balls, but is pretty slow, all things considered, when in a full sprint. When you have to cover as much ground as a CF does, not being fast is generally a problem unless you get hall of fame reads on balls, ala Jim Edmonds.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
I'm not going to say that I'm certain of this, but from what I've seen of Carlos is that he speeds up quickly...good short-distance speed, which is perfect for LF and RF...gets decent to good reads on balls, but is pretty slow, all things considered, when in a full sprint. When you have to cover as much ground as a CF does, not being fast is generally a problem unless you get hall of fame reads on balls, ala Jim Edmonds.

Well, who ever claimed this organization knows who plays the best centerfield defense. If that was the priority, Brian should start there everyday.

Anyways, it was just a thought on a dull Sunday afternoon. It wasn't meant to be so much serious as it was fun.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)
Well, who ever claimed this organization knows who plays the best centerfield defense. If that was the priority, Brian should start there everyday.

Anyways, it was just a thought on a dull Sunday afternoon. It wasn't meant to be so much serious as it was fun.

I atleast understand what you were trying to do, and I don't mind idle conversation. I'd say I hate when people rip on others, but I'm sure someone would dig something up I've said in the past too when really I was either just drunk/criticizing, which is all I was doing here too.

I also don't think the Sox go for best defense, but they do want someone who is atleast adequate out there; Nick Swisher has proven to me and others that he knows what he's doing out there and can play a good CF while also being competent with the stick, whereas I'm not sure if Anderson could do quite what Swisher has at the plate. I don't think his ultimate production would be that far off from what Swisher does though at the same time, and I hope he gets in the lineup soon because he hasn't started a game in forever...16 at bats in July doesn't do anything for him.

I could see a deal, but it would revolve around JD whom the Red Sox tried to trade for a year ago. Some sort of deal that was PK and JD for Manny and Crisp or an SP would be feasible. Q goes to right, Manny to left, Crisp or the platoon in CF, Swish to 1B.

For the Red Sox, Youk can play OF better than Manny and has played there the last couple years. Its not likely at all, but it could be made to work, Boston would get some players under contract for a few years below market value.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
Why not move Thome to first and Manny to DH?

You think Konerko's struggled with injuries this season...they didn't even put Thome at 1b for any games against the NL this year or use him at 1b while Konerko was out, because they said that Thome just wasn't in shape to handle it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Man I don't get it. If the Sox moved Paulie and didn't have Thome this would be my #1 target. The guy is an absolute offensive STUD.

Part of it is, I feel he's not as good as he's billed. He's good when he feels like it, and that's not all the time.

But that leads me to the bigger issue. For me (and I realize others feel differently), when a player is just SO much of an asshole, and is SO all about himself, that his behavior takes a significant negative hit on the team... then I wouldn't want any part of them. And before anyone goes to the other extreme here, I am not saying that the team needs to be full of saints. It won't be, and shouldn't be. But there is an important difference between being an asshole who still stands for the team (a la AJP), and an asshole who could clearly give less of a s*** about the team (Manny).

Just my view, I don't expect others to agree with it. I just think that he is so far gone into narcissism, that his offensive production is offset by the negative effect on the rest of the team, and the fan base.

Let's see, the Red Sox, a team defending their title, wants to rid themselves of this idiot and White Sox fans want him. Why? The White Sox have a LF having a better year than him. Their RF is a better team guy and having a better year. Their DH is a lot more stable than Manny. Sure he's a great hitter, but he also might decide he doesn't feel like playing for a couple of weeks. Manny being Manny is old and tired. If he thinks he'll get $100 million on the open market, boy is he going to be surprised.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Man I don't get it. If the Sox moved Paulie and didn't have Thome this would be my #1 target. The guy is an absolute offensive STUD.

Moved paulie? To who? This will never, ever ever ever ever happen. Thome is not going to play 1st, PK ain't going anywhere, Manny is a tool and would be Albert Belle ver 2.0.