A.J Burnett

DBAHO

Apologies if posted somewhere else, but there was a deadline article, saying he thought we would get Burnett for Jack Egbert and Brandon Allen.

Thoughts if that actually happened? Would you want A.J to opt out after this season?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
Apologies if posted somewhere else, but there was a deadline article, saying he thought we would get Burnett for Jack Egbert and Brandon Allen.

Thoughts if that actually happened? Would you want A.J to opt out after this season?

I'd make that deal twice, which means it probably won't happen.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Why would he opt out...he is .500 pitcher, as usual, and is making like $13million...someone will pay him more?

What is sad is that his .500 record, is better than Contreras and Vazquez. So I guess we should get him.

He's a 31 year old power pitcher who still has his good stuff and has had some success in the AL over the past 2 seasons (his numbers are awful against teams that aren't the Yankees and Red Sox this season), he's due $24M over the next 2 seasons ('09 and '10) but could opt out now and get about $52M-$56M. If he doesn't opt out he'll have to play out the rest of his contract in Toronto and who knows what he'll situation will be like at the end of the '10 season, he could be burnt out and done by then.

So he'd opt out in order to get another ~$30M in guaranteed money.

I'd do that deal in a freakin' heartbeat. s***, I'd almost do it just for the prospects. If AJ denies arbitration he's going to sign with a contending team most likely. That's a late first rounder and a supplemental pick. That PLUS Burnett for the rest of the season instead of Contreras? f*** yeah, sign me up!

I think it's BS though. That would be a KW steal.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
I'd do that deal in a freakin' heartbeat. s***, I'd almost do it just for the prospects. If AJ denies arbitration he's going to sign with a contending team most likely. That's a late first rounder and a supplemental pick. That PLUS Burnett for the rest of the season instead of Contreras? f*** yeah, sign me up!

I think it's BS though. That would be a KW steal.

You're assuming Burnett ranks as a Type A free agent. He rated out at 71.528 B for '06-'07 which was 4 points short of Type A status. Aside from innings AJ's 2008 season is much worse than his 2006 season thus far. It's not where near a foregone conclusion that ranks as a Type A free agent. Can you even offer Arb to a player who opts out of his deal?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
You're assuming Burnett ranks as a Type A free agent. He rated out at 71.528 B for '06-'07 which was 4 points short of Type A status. Aside from innings AJ's 2008 season is much worse than his 2006 season thus far. It's not where near a foregone conclusion that ranks as a Type A free agent. Can you even offer Arb to a player who opts out of his deal?

Firstly, where did you find that ratings system? Is it accurate? I'd love to see it.

Secondly, even as a Type B, if you figure you're getting a supplemental first on top of Burnett, that's still a total steal. Especially if you spend a little bit of money on those picks. I'm sure you can find and sign a guy with a higher ceiling than Egbert with that pick, so you can basically look at it as Allen for Burnett, and when you imagine how much that addition would mean in terms of adding insurance to the rotation and the bullpen through a trickle-down effect, that is more than worth it IMO.

I'd love this deal, but I'd be very, very, very surprised if there's any truth to it at all as it sounds way too good to be true. I'd expect the Jays to at the very least ask for something like Shelby + Poreda given what everyone else is asking for their players.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
He's a 31 year old power pitcher who still has his good stuff and has had some success in the AL over the past 2 seasons (his numbers are awful against teams that aren't the Yankees and Red Sox this season), he's due $24M over the next 2 seasons ('09 and '10) but could opt out now and get about $52M-$56M. If he doesn't opt out he'll have to play out the rest of his contract in Toronto and who knows what he'll situation will be like at the end of the '10 season, he could be burnt out and done by then.

So he'd opt out in order to get another ~$30M in guaranteed money.

Another $50 million? Jesus. That sounds crazy to me for this guy.

Considering the large sums of money in his deal, and that he's got an opt-out, his value is essentially as a rent-a-player. Therefore, Allen and Egbert is not so far out of whack. A little light, but not out of the ballpark. You'd probably have to add one more piece.

And I'd still take it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Firstly, where did you find that ratings system? Is it accurate? I'd love to see it.

Secondly, even as a Type B, if you figure you're getting a supplemental first on top of Burnett, that's still a total steal. Especially if you spend a little bit of money on those picks. I'm sure you can find and sign a guy with a higher ceiling than Egbert with that pick, so you can basically look at it as Allen for Burnett, and when you imagine how much that addition would mean in terms of adding insurance to the rotation and the bullpen through a trickle-down effect, that is more than worth it IMO.

I'd love this deal, but I'd be very, very, very surprised if there's any truth to it at all as it sounds way too good to be true. I'd expect the Jays to at the very least ask for something like Shelby + Poreda given what everyone else is asking for their players.

I don't disagree that it would be a decent deal for the Sox even if Burnett is only a Type B free agent, I'm just trying to clarify as to his status this offseason. I also don't buy this one bit, it sounds like speculation to me and poorly thought out speculation at that.

Just google "Elias Sports Bureau AL free agent rankings", the '06-'07 free agent rankings that major league baseball uses should be one of the first results.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
can you even offer arbitration to players that opt out of contracts?

I was thinking the exact same thing. The clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent should prohibit his old club from offering him arbitration since ALL ties to his former club are cut with his opting out. I didn't see anything in the CBA that said this was the case but if you can think of a good player who opted out of his deal and signed with another team in the past few years you can check if that team received comp picks for his departure.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I was thinking the exact same thing. The option in his contract that allows him to become a free agent should prohibit his old club from offering him arbitration since ALL ties to his former club are cut with his opting out. I didn't see anything in the CBA that said this was the case but if you can think of a good player who opted out of his deal in the past few years you can check if that team received comp picks for his departure.

Didn't the LAD receive picks when Drew opted out and signed w/ the Bososx?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)

Thats a hell of a deal for us. And we could throw some money at him and make him our back of the rotation guy for the next couple of years. I like it.