Companies who truly make the world better

Texsox

I was just on South Padre Island and comparing notes with friends and suppliers and one company kept being brought up, the H-E-B Grocery Stores. They came down with their emergency response team of several trailer loads of ice, meals, bottled water, and a large tanker or two of potable water. They really made a tangible difference for a lot of the people living in Dolly's path. They could have made a lot of money selling ice and water, instead they handed it out with words of encouragement. They also had the National Guard helping to distribute their supplies. Of course we also saw the Red Cross and Salvation Army. There really are only two choices in grocery stores in this neck of the woods, and honestly I was already a fan and rarely used the other one. Now, there are even more reasons to shop at H-E-B. I do not wish to disparage the other company who runs ads all across the nation telling how nice life is when they move into your neighborhood. However, I did not see any obvious signs that it was anything more than normal at their store.

People are helping each other and amazing how well people can drive when common courtesy replaces traffic signals. Makes me proud to be a human, an American, and a Texan. Not so amazing is how fast the language barriers drop when people need help. A smile and a hand shake go a very long way.