US Sen Ted Stevens indicted on 7 counts

bmags

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/07/...indicted_on.php

Wow! Finally. This has nothing to do with party, but Alaskan politics have been pretty corrupt especially recently with the Don Young pork barrel bridge to nowhere's and coconut road fiasco. And Ted Stevens has been just as bad. And finally, people are getting indicted for their misconduct instead of a slap on the wrist.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a little background:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ion_broader.php

Stevens Investigation Broader Than Veco Home Makeover

By lkmcgann - July 31, 2007, 12:15PM

It's official: the FBI is looking into more than Sen. Ted Stevens' Veco-overseen remodeling project. Roll Call reports that the FBI and the Department of Interior are also looking into a series of earmarks for one of Stevens' pet projects.

The project, the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seaward, Alaska, has received some $50 million in federal money since 1998. One of Stevens' former aides, Trevor McCabe, was paid $558,000 of that money for an adjacent piece of land. Federal investigators want to know more about the arrangement.

It wasn't the only time that federal money found its way to McCabe's pocket. McCabe is also tied to the federal investigation of Stevens' son, former state Senate President Ben Stevens. The FBI raided the younger Stevens' offices last year, gathering documents related to his time on an Alaska board that handed out millions in federal grants to the seafood industry. While Stevens was on the board, he partnered with McCabe in a consulting company that took fees from the companies that received the federal money. The older Stevens saw to it that the board was stocked with federal funds.

If the three-pronged federal investigation into Stevens run by the IRS, FBI and Interior Department doesn't impress you, Roll Call mentions that the raid of a US senator's home is a historical moment in Congressional corruption: "Stevens appears to be the only member of the Senate to have his home searched by the FBI."

I believe last year raids on numerous Alaskan politicians led to a few convictions and appeals now. It looks like Stevens covered his tracks a little better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Does the Senate typically have any patterns or procedures regarding people stepping down from committees or resigning while they're facing criminal charges?

Wasn't Domenici under indictment, and still stayed on all his committees? Or maybe he wasn't actually charged.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
I guarantee you the Dems would much rather Young and Stevens on the tickets than off them, Tex.

I'm not saying that it was the Dems. Sometimes an internal cleansing is in order. Either way, if guilty, I hope they fall fast and hard. This stuff sucks way worse than having too wide a stance or getting a blow job from an intern.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm not saying that it was the Dems. Sometimes an internal cleansing is in order. Either way, if guilty, I hope they fall fast and hard. This stuff sucks way worse than having too wide a stance or getting a blow job from an intern.

And it has been going on way tooooo long!

Okay, Balta, found you an answer, from MSNBC's story:

Per Republican Senate caucus rules, if a member is indicted, he or she can no longer serve as chairman or ranking member of a committee.

Stevens is a ranking member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Okay, Balta, found you an answer, from MSNBC's story:

Per Republican Senate caucus rules, if a member is indicted, he or she can no longer serve as chairman or ranking member of a committee.

Stevens is a ranking member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.

No more clogged tubes!!

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
y'all know Alaska will elect someone just like him?!

I really think they are starting to clean up, this probe wiped out a lot, but he's running in a primary despite this being Ted friggen Stevens, THE alaskan political figure since before Alaska was a state. And he was supposed to eek it out. The party will probably replace him, I believe.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
y'all know Alaska will elect someone just like him?!

Well, they had elected a governor who has taken on the corruption there, so who knows. Since it looks like she won't get the veep nod, maybe she will take Stevens' seat.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
Well, they had elected a governor who has taken on the corruption there, so who knows. Since it looks like she won't get the veep nod, maybe she will take Stevens' seat.

hmm...I believe she's in a scandal now too.

From Roll Call:

Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), who has been indicted on seven counts of making false statements on his financial disclosure forms, has stepped down from his post atop two committees, according to a senior GOP aide.

Republicans may vote as early as Wednesday afternoon to select replacements.

Consistent with GOP bylaws that require Members who are under felony indictment to relinquish their ranking posts on committees, Stevens, the longest-serving Republican Senator, has officially stepped down as ranking member of both the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee and the ranking member of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.