5.4 Earthquake hits LA

Texsox

http://www.cnn.com/ front page of CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A magnitude-5.8 earthquake has struck just east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar, the USGS said.

The center was about 7.6 miles deep. In general, earthquakes centered closer to the Earth's surface produce stronger shaking and can cause more damage than those further underground.

A 5.8 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

I'd be banned at other sites for posting this ;)

Man, when they hit in the middle of a network, these computers are really, really fast at getting the hard data together. 10 years ago this stuff wouldn't have been available until days to weeks after an event. The joys of the internets.

Turns out it's something we'd call a dip-slip event, not quite a strike slip signal and not quite a thrust signal, but somewhere in-between. Kind of makes sense based on the area it's happening, hit on a fault that likely didn't break the surface, but also hits in an area where there's sort of a directional change in the mountain range, so there's some shear force on the rocks as well.

In something like 5-10% of quakes, there will be an aftershock larger than the initial large event, so folks at least should be moderately cautious over the next day or two.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
good god, the news is having a heyday with this one.

Seriously, don't we all already know how the Richter scale works and that there will be aftershocks and that they will diminish in strength and numbers in a day or so?

I'm out in San Dimas right now for work, which is pretty close to the epi-center in Chino Hills. I was actually making a right hand turn at the time and felt my car just totally swerve. 4 others were in the car and just assumed it was my first time driving, turns out it was the quake.

Definitely a weird feeling and I've always wondered what it would be like while driving and I can safely say had I actually been going relatively quick on the right hand turn my car would have definitely swerved out of control.

I had no idea it was an earth quake as I honestly thought I had lost the tire on my car (it was the only thing I could use to explain) and when we sit down at the restaurant for lunch first thing the waitress asks us is if we felt the earthquake.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Man, when they hit in the middle of a network, these computers are really, really fast at getting the hard data together. 10 years ago this stuff wouldn't have been available until days to weeks after an event. The joys of the internets.

Turns out it's something we'd call a dip-slip event, not quite a strike slip signal and not quite a thrust signal, but somewhere in-between. Kind of makes sense based on the area it's happening, hit on a fault that likely didn't break the surface, but also hits in an area where there's sort of a directional change in the mountain range, so there's some shear force on the rocks as well.

In something like 5-10% of quakes, there will be an aftershock larger than the initial large event, so folks at least should be moderately cautious over the next day or two.

Does anyone here speak geologist?

BTW we call a dip-slip event when SS bans a troll in 5 minutes or less.

There's so many jokes one could make about this one...

Seriously, don't get in the doorway during an earthquake. Get under a table or desk. The doorway thing is an old myth because when people built houses 50 years ago with those big, powerful doorways, the house would get demolished but that doorway would wind up standing. Most doorways don't do anything similar these days.