Brian Anderson

ObamaKnowsBest

I think Anderson definitely deserves to get a shot at playing centerfield on a regular basis at this point in the season. From day one he has been the best defensive choice for us in center. And are Swisher's offensive numbers that much better than what Anderson can do. I personally don't think so. He muscled that homerun out tonight on a decent pitch.

With both Swisher and Konerko struggling at the plate, neither has shown that they deserve to be in the starting lineup. As much as it hurts me to say that. Paulie and Swish are probably to of my favorite guys on the team, but just aren't producing.

I don't see why Ozzie doesn't cycle Swish and Konerko in and out at first base while putting Swish out at center every once in awhile. I think Anderson has the talent to play and certainly has served his time on the bench watching Swish play anything but spectacular. Any chance this happens?

Edited by Swishin' Aint Easy

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
Swish at least is really great defensively at 1B. PK has nothing in the tank it looks like.

I don't see Swisher as a major upgrade at 1B from PK.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson get more time in CF. Anderson is a major upgrade over anybody on the roster in CF.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with a three man platoon between the two spots with Anderson getting starts in CF when Swish is at 1B and Paulie ocassionally playing 1B with Swish on the bench. Realistically they have gotten nothing out of CF/1B on the season. In fact, I bet if you look at the season production at those two positions they are amongst the Sox are amongst the worst, if not the very worst in all of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Brian Anderson should never play baseball again

What's your reasoning?? Because I'm pretty sure there are plenty of players that are playing worse baseball than he is.

Shows how much confidence Ozzie has in Brian when Swish pinch hits for him...Did I mention Swisher hasn't had this whole road-trip?

QUOTE (Swishin' Aint Easy @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
What's your reasoning?? Because I'm pretty sure there are plenty of players that are playing worse baseball than he is.

Shows how much confidence Ozzie has in Brian when Swish pinch hits for him...Did I mention Swisher hasn't had this whole road-trip?

I have no reasoning. I just know in my heart of hearts that Brian Anderson is the worst human being in the long, sad history of the human race.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
I don't see Swisher as a major upgrade at 1B from PK.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson get more time in CF. Anderson is a major upgrade over anybody on the roster in CF.

I do. At least Swisher can make a throw to second base. Plus the thing I like about Swish being on the infield is his enthusiasm. He's pretty solid over there...plus the fact his energy is sorely needed on the infield instead of out in the outfield. Paul Konerko brings the enthusiasm of a cold sore to this team right now.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
I do. At least Swisher can make a throw to second base. Plus the thing I like about Swish being on the infield is his enthusiasm. He's pretty solid over there...plus the fact his energy is sorely needed on the infield instead of out in the outfield. Paul Konerko brings the enthusiasm of a cold sore to this team right now.

From what I've seen, Paulie is much better at scooping balls out of the dirt than Swish. And I don't understand how infield enthusiasm differs from outfield enthusiasm.

Edited by WCSox

Plus the thing I like about Swish being on the infield is his enthusiasm. He's pretty solid over there...plus the fact his energy is sorely needed on the infield instead of out in the outfield

OM gosh. Another comment about Swish's intangibles. His energy in the infield? I think this thread is reasonable. Anderson does show some pop once in a while and he hardly ever gets to play. Paulie can't hit home runs anymore and Swish is not exactly lighting it on fire.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
From what I've seen, Paulie is much better at scooping balls out of the dirt than Swish. And I don't understand how infield enthusiasm differs from outfield enthusiasm.

Swish is pretty decent at scooping...plus I think has better range...AND can make the throw to second. As for infield/outfield enthusiasm...have you ever played on the infield or pitched. I have...and once on a team that pretty much had the same deadpan demeanor as Paulie...and it was terrible. Not knocking Paulie for it or anything...but it makes a difference IMO...especially with a young guy next to you like Lexi.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
Swish is pretty decent at scooping...plus I think has better range...AND can make the throw to second. As for infield/outfield enthusiasm...have you ever played on the infield or pitched. I have...and once on a team that pretty much had the same deadpan demeanor as Paulie...and it was terrible. Not knocking Paulie for it or anything...but it makes a difference IMO...especially with a young guy next to you like Lexi.

I dunno, I don't understand this argument. I've played all 3 OF positions, 3B, and 2B. I can honestly say that I never cared what the other players were doing, as long as they were paying attention to the situation and knew what to do (I was the captain in HS). If Bozo the Clown was standing there waiting for my DP throw, it wouldn't have made a difference if it was Ben Stein the game before as long as he catches it or makes his plays. My level of play is going to be the same, I know how to field ground balls, handle a fly ball in a crowd, get in position for a relay, etc.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Swish is pretty decent at scooping

Didn't he botch a semi-errant throw from Alexei about a week ago? It wasn't an easy play, but I remember thinking Paulie probably would've come up with it.

...plus I think has better range...AND can make the throw to second.

These are valid arguments, especially with Paulie's arm going to crap over the past couple of years. Heck, I'd argue that Swish not needing to reach across his body to apply a tag during a pickoff attempt is also a plus.

That said, being able to scoop balls out of the dirt and being a large and forgiving target are probably the most important defensive attributes for a 1B. Frank excelled at both, which is why his fat ass and girl-strength arm didn't get in the way of him being an every-day 1B for the first half of his career. Having a 1B with good range and a good arm (e.g., Mark Grace) is always a plus, but there's a reason why guys like Frank, Mark McGwire, and David Ortiz played 1B for years.

The best thing about Swisher playing 1B is Anderson playing CF.

As for infield/outfield enthusiasm...have you ever played on the infield or pitched. I have...and once on a team that pretty much had the same deadpan demeanor as Paulie...and it was terrible. Not knocking Paulie for it or anything...but it makes a difference IMO...especially with a young guy next to you like Lexi.

I've played CF and 3B from Little League through Beer League and have no idea what you're talking about.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)

Cal Ripken had a pretty deadpan demeanor. So did Harold Baines. Ramirez isn't affected by Konerko at all, in fact, if anything, Alexei needs to cut down on the flash a little bit IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Cal Ripken had a pretty deadpan demeanor. So did Harold Baines. Ramirez isn't affected by Konerko at all, in fact, if anything, Alexei needs to cut down on the flash a little bit IMO.

Agree... he's making some unnecessary/dumb rookie mistakes out there. I hope he'll learn when it's inappropriate.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
never has one who contributed so little received so much attention as BA.

never fails to amuse me.

Never has one who contributed so little not been removed from the lineup.

This can be said about Swish and Paulie

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
Didn't he botch a semi-errant throw from Alexei about a week ago? It wasn't an easy play, but I remember thinking Paulie probably would've come up with it.

These are valid arguments, especially with Paulie's arm going to crap over the past couple of years. Heck, I'd argue that Swish not needing to reach across his body to apply a tag during a pickoff attempt is also a plus.

That said, being able to scoop balls out of the dirt and being a large and forgiving target are probably the most important defensive attributes for a 1B. Frank excelled at both, which is why his fat ass and girl-strength arm didn't get in the way of him being an every-day 1B for the first half of his career. Having a 1B with good range and a good arm (e.g., Mark Grace) is always a plus, but there's a reason why guys like Frank, Mark McGwire, and David Ortiz played 1B for years.

The best thing about Swisher playing 1B is Anderson playing CF.

I've played CF and 3B from Little League through Beer League and have no idea what you're talking about.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've always played the left side and pitched as well as CF. To me...it always made a big difference on the infield...especially as a pitcher.