7/29 games

bighurt4life

Charlotte v Louisville

Getz 2-4 2 doubles Richar 1-5 HR

Birmingham v West Tenn

Negron 3-5 2 doubles Allen 0-2 3BB Nanita 2-3 2 doubles Poreda wins 7IP 2ER 2BB 3K 2HR Texiera 1IP 2K 1S

W-S v Lynchburg

Shelby 2-2 2 doubles Paiml 2-3 with 1st HR on the season Ely gets the win, pitching staff combines to throw a 3-hitter

Kannapolis v Delmarva

Escobar 1-3 1BB ops up to almost .600 after terrible start in kanny Gallager 1-4 3B Maxwell 5IP 5ER 4BB 10K

Great Falls v Helena

Gerst 2-5 2B Kuhn 3-5 3B he's hitting .378, not bad for a 14th round pick known for his glove

Bristol with the day off

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Sox won't deal Poreda unless they are getting something pretty special. They think very highly of Aaron.

I was really impressed by Richard last night. He was twinkie'd to death but over-all I think his mound presence, control and quickness of work were impressive.

Am I stupid for thinking he has more value than Poreda? Richard was a dual sport athlete until recently and while he is no Jeff Samardjia (sp?) I really liked what I saw in him.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
Am I stupid for thinking he has more value than Poreda? Richard was a dual sport athlete until recently and while he is no Jeff Samardjia (sp?) I really liked what I saw in him.

Richard turns 25 in about a month. Poreda turns 22 in October.

Performance in the big leagues and the way he looked aren't going to factor in to how teams look at "Value" when they're looking at high level minor leaguers. Poreda was a first rounder with an electric fastball who is 3 years younger than Richard and will be 1 level behind him at the start of next year. Poreda has significantly more "Trade value" than Richard. But we all can come up with a couple dozen examples off the top of our heads of pitchers with the highest trade value busting while pitchers with less value wind up tearing up the league...so it's entirely possible Richard might turn out to be a much more successful and valuable pitcher to us.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
I was really impressed by Richard last night. He was twinkie'd to death but over-all I think his mound presence, control and quickness of work were impressive.

Both are probably future pen arms, I didnt think Richard's secondary stuff was enough to get mlb hitters out consistently. Poreda however throws that same sinker from a better arm angle and about 5-7 mph harder.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Both are probably future pen arms, I didnt think Richard's secondary stuff was enough to get mlb hitters out consistently. Poreda however throws that same sinker from a better arm angle and about 5-7 mph harder.

Richard's slider is just horrible. I couldn't believe Toby kept calling for it in the 5th last night, especially with Spann up in a big spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Richard's slider is just horrible. I couldn't believe Toby kept calling for it in the 5th last night, especially with Spann up in a big spot.

Yeah, that pitch was awful. I thought his change was basically the only other pitch that was decent.