What the hell happened to our pitching/defense?

whitesoxfan101

Something appears to have happened on our off day July 7th. I say this because we're a mediocre 8-9 since then, as our pitching staff that was 1st or 2nd in the AL behind Oakland for a long time just fell off the planet. Now to be fair, 11 of the 17 games have been on the road, but at the same time, we lost a home series to KANSAS CITY, and more disturbing is our pitching and defense. In those 17 games, the Sox made 20 errors, with no stretch of more than 2 errorless games (and there was only one of those). That doesn't even include plays like Paul Konerko's bad pickoff throw tonight, Paul Konerko's drop on a should be double play in Kansas City, another botched PK pickoff throw in Texas, and so on.

As for the pitching, in this span, the Sox have given up 7, 6, 4, 7, 7, 12, 5, 9, 8, 6, 2, 8, 5, 6, 6, 7, and 6 runs. That is just plain awful, and puts an incredible amount of pressure on our offense. Giving up 5+ runs in 15 of 17 games could realistically lead to a much worse stretch than 8-9, especially with as much as we've been on the road, so we should thank the offense. But in the meantime, the pitching (both starting and relief) and defense better get their heads out of their asses, or we're in deep s***. Injuries haven't helped us, but our sloppy play lately has been atrocious.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
Something appears to have happened on our off day July 7th. I say this because we're a mediocre 8-9 since then, as our pitching staff that was 1st or 2nd in the AL behind Oakland for a long time just fell off the planet. Now to be fair, 11 of the 17 games have been on the road, but at the same time, we lost a home series to KANSAS CITY, and more disturbing is our pitching and defense. In those 17 games, the Sox made 20 errors, with no stretch of more than 2 errorless games (and there was only one of those). That doesn't even include plays like Paul Konerko's bad pickoff throw tonight, Paul Konerko's drop on a should be double play in Kansas City, another botched PK pickoff throw in Texas, and so on.

As for the pitching, in this span, the Sox have given up 7, 6, 4, 7, 7, 12, 5, 9, 8, 6, 2, 8, 5, 6, 6, 7, and 6 runs. That is just plain awful, and puts an incredible amount of pressure on our offense. Giving up 5+ runs in 15 of 17 games could realistically lead to a much worse stretch than 8-9, especially with as much as we've been on the road, so we should thank the offense. But in the meantime, the pitching (both starting and relief) and defense better get their heads out of their asses, or we're in deep s***. Injuries haven't helped us, but our sloppy play lately has been atrocious.

You pretty much summed up the crap that has been the White Sox of late. We're VERY fortunate to have even gone 8-9 since the 7th. If we don't pitch it and catch it, the Twins will win their fifth division title since 2001.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
well it is probably just a coincidence but konerko came back on the 8th. just sayin'

I know what others are going to say that Konerko doesn't affect what our pitchers are doing, but I cannot agree more with the above observance. We are not a very good team with Konerko. I love what he has done for the team, expecially in 2005, but he is absolutely killing us.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
well it is probably just a coincidence but konerko came back on the 8th. just sayin'

I don't believe in coincidences, however you can't blame Paulie for the fact the pitching staff has fallen off or for all of the errors. However, it is undebateable that his play in the field and at the plate have been awful, and it also seems that he has a negative affect on the team for one reason or another, beyond even his own poor play.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
GMAFB! Konerko has absolutely nothing to do with how awful our pitching has been of late.

No, but at the same time, he's probably been the worst player on the team since he came back, and his prescence on the field has seemed to have a negative affect on us all year for some reason. I wonder what our record is with and without PK on the field.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
No, but at the same time, he's probably been the worst player on the team since he came back, and his prescence on the field has seemed to have a negative affect on us all year for some reason. I wonder what our record is with and without PK on the field.

If my numbers are right, when he starts we are 46-34 a .575 winning percentage. When he doesn't we are 16-11 a .592.

tis team is just not that good bro

the pitching was was way over there head and our offense is still yeeeesh.. were overachieving and as the pitching comes back, well thats how it goes

if i wast for quentin back in the day wed be in 3rd fa sho

This team has potential but not good enough to win the ALCS. What I am saying ALCS for, we have to get in the playoffs first. My big concern is starting pitching, Buehrle is not the pitcher he was in 2005 and Jose is the end of the line I'm afraid.

Crede's back problem has probably been part of all the errors he has made this season.

Edited by Baines3

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:55 AM)
This team has potential but not good enough to win the ALCS. What I am saying ALCS for, we have to get in the playoffs first. My big concern is starting pitching, Buehrle is not the pitcher he was in 2005 and Jose is the end of the line I'm afraid.

Crede's back problem has probably been part of all the errors he has made this season.

MBs era is like 2.00 since june hes the least of our problemos

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
If my numbers are right, when he starts we are 46-34 a .575 winning percentage. When he doesn't we are 16-11 a .592.

Your numbers are wrong. The Sox now have a record of 59-46. 59+46 = 105 games played. 46 + 34 + 16 + 11 = 107 games played. You have the Sox with 62 wins when they have 59 and with 45 losses when they have 46.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Sox are 43-34 (.558) when PK starts. So 16-12 (.571) otherwise. He has almost no effect. In reality that says something though since his replacement in the lineup is usually either Wise or BA.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
I don't believe in coincidences, however you can't blame Paulie for the fact the pitching staff has fallen off or for all of the errors. However, it is undebateable that his play in the field and at the plate have been awful, and it also seems that he has a negative affect on the team for one reason or another, beyond even his own poor play.

Actually, I've never seen worse defense played at 1B since his return. The Big Hurt could throw better than Paulie. 1B don't get too many chances to screw the team over, but he's been solely responsible for extra at bats and multiple runs since his return.

He can't hit

He can't field

He can't sit... I guess.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
Maybe you guys that see him play every game haven't noticed, but has Paulie gotten slimmer and slimmer since 2005? Am I nuts?

I don't think so. He does look thinner when he shows his socks,his pants get baggy and it makes his legs look skinnier. I don't see any weight loss in the torso or the face. His face gets real thin at times.

Pitchers giving up 5 or 6 or more runs a game is what is affecting this team right now plus some real shoddy defense at times. Last night I blame the pitchers period. Defense on the part of our relief corp too. Carrasco failed to properly defend on a bunt and then allowed the twins runner to advance to 2nd base when he had the runner dead to rights. The Twins play sound fundemental baseball and the Sox struggle from time to time. As soon as our pitching staff rights itself I think we will be back to playing solid winning ball.

Injuries have really killed this team in one way or the other if you think about it. It all started with Crede's back surgery. He's obviously not the same, smooth defensive player he once was and now the back has placed him on the DL. His hitting hasn't been too hot either. Then you get PK with the whole hand issue this season. It could still be bothering him, who know, but it has definitely thrown him off completely. Then you have Contreras with his injury, then Linebrink, then Thornton starts feeling it...well, there goes 2 important guys from your pen. If we could get this team back to full strength again, we'd be ready to rock and roll.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
the Twins will win their fifth division title since 2001.

and what do they have to show for it?

at least we have a ring.

just proves they're good enough to win, what has been a weak division since it's inception for the most part, sans a few years....