• No Playoffs for You!
    • Wildcard
    • Division Win
    • Win Round 1
    • Win AL Pennant
    • World Series Loss
    • World Series Victory
    • Waaaay too early for this

it's hard to say, for sure. on one hand, i could see the twins squeaking out with the division by only a couple games, but I could also see the twins coming back down to earth

one thing i can't stop thinking about is what would this team be like with a healthy, productive Konerko in the lineup

I guess right now I'll say I'm in

I was in before they tossed out the first pitch and disagreed with all the "toss in the hat, Cleveland and Detroit are too tough to beat, sell anyone with value" sentiment. Nowe that the team has proven they can compete for the long haul, and August 1 seems like the long haul, I'm more in then before. :gosox1:

I really think it depends what the Sox do at the deadline. Right now, I don't think they can make the playoffs with 2-3 good starters, and 3 dependable/healthy bullpen arms, and having 3 sub .230 hitters. KW needs to make a big move because even if they squeek into the playoffs, there is no way we can compete with the Angels or Red Sox whose pitching depth is amazing and have much deeper, better and balanced lineups. Even in a 5-game series, I don't think we can steal a series from one of them. My hope is we make the playoffs and somehow the Rays win the East, cause we can beat them.

In. Can't predict the outcome of the playoffs, but I'll call the division win.

Regardless, we shouldn't let two days of carpet-ball in that excuse of a stadium have us shaking in our boots. Especially when one of those games involved a kid making his 2nd start ever in the MLB.

The Twins are good a fundamentally sound team that takes full advantage of their homefield. Yes, we're in for a fight, but when has winning the division ever come easy?

Hopefully this thread helps us regain perspective instead of spiraling into the ZOMG WE R SCROOD realm.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:52 AM)
LMAO. I love these f***ing polls that show up every year about this time.

Well are you in or out? :ph34r: I dont even know what the hell it means but answer the question. :ph34r: :)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
If you're "out" they ban you from this site until spring training.

I obviously don't contribute on here but that sounds about right.

The deluded homer optimism on these fan sites is amazing. Just look at what the Sox are! Steve Stone said just the other day on the Score morning show that the Sox are an 86-87 win team. There's no shame in that. The question has always been, is the division so bad it can be won by an 86-win team, or is it better than that?

And now it is completely clear the Twins are better than that, and better than us. They play a less challenging schedule than we do from here on out.

If someone else saw a playoff team out there the past couple days, I'd like to know what game you were watching. The Sox need to drop the old, ineffective deadweight off this team and start stocking good young players for the future. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

I'm not a negative fan. I follow the Sox for the fun of it, not just for the hope they will make the playoffs. They won't this year.

QUOTE (jeffthedude @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

The deluded homer optimism on these fan sites is amazing. Just look at what the Sox are! Steve Stone said just the other day on the Score morning show that the Sox are an 86-87 win team. There's no shame in that. The question has always been, is the division so bad it can be won by an 86-win team, or is it better than that?

And now it is completely clear the Twins are better than that, and better than us. They play a less challenging schedule than we do from here on out.

If someone else saw a playoff team out there the past couple days, I'd like to know what game you were watching. The Sox need to drop the old, ineffective deadweight off this team and start stocking good young players for the future. The cupboard looks pretty bare right now.

I'm not a negative fan. I follow the Sox for the fun of it, not just for the hope they will make the playoffs. They won't this year.

What? You obviously haven't been here much. We value people's opinions, even if we think sometimes things are silly to be posted (and I'm not saying your opinion is silly, at least you have some meat to your post). But we certainly don't "ban" people here for what you're suggesting. Just wanted to clarify this.

QUOTE (jeffthedude @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)

Riiiiiiiiiiight. If the Twins are so clearly better than us then how come we're still leading the division?

Also, no one gets banned for being negative and if you don't think the Sox are going to win the division then that's fine but to jump ship on a first place team when we're nearing August is quite ridiculous.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (jeffthedude @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

You remind me of a troll I used to know...