Ivan Rodriguez Now a Yankee

Kalapse

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
Don't the Yanks need their RP's? Funny to see Kyle back in Detroit. Sox have had success against him IIRC.

His ERA isn't bad, but he's sporting a 1.35 WHIP this season, so you have to wonder if he's been being bailed out by a couple other people in that pen.

Both teams receive a player they need.

The Tigers get some help in that bullpen and the Yankees get a catcher, who although can't hit for power like he used to, but he can hit for average and that's all you can really ask for when you have an arm like Pudge's.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Fred Haney? He was the first to hold the nickname.

(Balance looks at Wikipedia....)

I just learned something!

Haney, apparently, was a little before my time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
His ERA isn't bad, but he's sporting a 1.35 WHIP this season, so you have to wonder if he's been being bailed out by a couple other people in that pen.

He's also inherited 5 runners this year and allowed 3 of them to score. Looks like he's been used mostly in low leverage, blowout situations and that's where he's allowing all his baserunners. He's been quite good in the high leverage situations he has pitched in even if they only make up 30% of his appearances.

A hateable player going to the ultimate hateable team. Works out nicely.

But I am kind of surprised the Tigers did this. I know they need pen help, but, I don't see Inge being an upgrade offensively. More of a downgrade, IMO. Trading I-Roid is almost a white flag move, except they got an old, mediocre reliver in return.

Weird.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
A hateable player going to the ultimate hateable team. Works out nicely.

But I am kind of surprised the Tigers did this. I know they need pen help, but, I don't see Inge being an upgrade offensively. More of a downgrade, IMO. Trading I-Roid is almost a white flag move, except they got an old, mediocre reliver in return.

Weird.

Not when you take salaries in to account.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
This actually makes the Tigers better.

Disagree entirely.

"Pudge" is hitting .295 .338 and is still a defensive strength behind the plate. The Tigers pitching staff didnt have to worry much about sb's and he was a very calming veteran presence for that staff. They have now subtracted that and added Farnsworth who is basicaly a mid 4 ERA pen guy with no real value.

If I were a Tiggers fan...I'd be pissed. There's no way I lose one of the best catchers baseball has ever seen ('Roid Aided), for Kyle "There's no crying in baseball" Farnsworth. Obviously, this is a need for need trade, but Inge isn't as good as Pudge at C and Farnsworth is one bad outing away from squeezing more tears out and punching another cooler.

I would certainly trust Pudge in the post season over Farnsworth, which is the whole point of a trade like this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Great trade by the Yankees. I bet Tigers were worried that Pudge would accept arbitration (assuming he's eligible).

He's supposedly been horrible in their clubhouse, and I know they love Inge behind the plate. That's the only logic I can see behind this move, and even with that it's pretty bad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Damn, didn't see this coming. I'm assuming Brandon Inge will take over the catching duties in Detroit? Farnsworth will be a nice upgrade for the Tigers pen and obviously the Tigers have a great offense with or without Pudge.

Have the Tigers given up that easily?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
An average reliever instead of two draft picks? I guess I was wrong to think teams now do realize how valuable those type a picks are. They must really think Farnsworth can help fix their bullpen (I doubt that) or that Pudge is some sort of clubhouse cancer to do this.

Would the Tigers have offered Pudge arbitration with the $12.4 million he's making this year? They already had to think for a while about picking up his option year this year. Would Rodriguez have turned down arbitration? I can't imagine him making close to that amount of money next year wherever he signs.