Groomsmen Gifts

Marky Mark

I'm getting married on August 31st and need to buy groomsmen gifts. I've thought about this for months but have yet to come up with anything solid. Looking online, I feel like every website has the same typical gifts: flasks, knives, zippos, pilsners, etc.

My groomsmen aren't particularly big drinkers or smokers so I don't really want to get them a flask or lighter. My default backup gift at this point is probably getting engraved knives. However I want to get them something they'll legitimately enjoy and want to keep, I'm not sure how much they'd appreciate knives.

The one thing that I know all of my groomsmen enjoy is baseball. So right now this is the closest thing that I've found that they may enjoy, Personalized Bats.

What do you guys think of this? So if you got a personally engraved bat as a groomsman would you feel like it was cool at first but then realize you have no use for it? That's what I'm a little afraid of. Or would you think it was great? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on each gift that will be carelessly tossed in a closet forever.

I'm looking to spend about 40-50 dollars a gift. Do you guys think the bat's a cool idea? Or should I try something else? Any suggestions on other unique gift ideas would be great. Thanks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
I would think the bat was cool, but then useless.

Give them something they use in every day life, like a money clip, or something with golf if they are golfers.

Nah, the bat would not be useless to me. I'd hang in my office with all my sports memorbillia.

Personalized bats are kinda cool. If they actually play baseball or softball, then get the useable bats that are personalized. That way, they can use it, or hang it, or whatever.

We had sort of a travel theme for our wedding, so I gave all the groomsmen cufflinks that had a compass built into them. I told them they had no excuse for saying they couldn't find the place.

First of all, and to get accustomed to married life, what does your bride say? Do that. :lolhitting

I personalized each gift to the groomsmen instead of a one gift fits someone, kind of.

I received a personalized (with mine, not their names) money clip / knife I used for years and years. I also received a beer stein with their name and wedding date that was kind of nice. The engraving was very subtle.

The bats would be kind of cool, but you are right, they could end up in the back of the closet. But then any gift could, and finding something that all the groomsmen like is really impossible.

So, I'd try and pick a different gift for each guy. Ask their wives and girlfriends for advice.

I'm lame. I got all my guys amazon gift cards in addition to the ties they will be wearing at the wedding. The guys I have standing up are from all walks of life so it would be impossible to find something that they'd all enjoy.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)
First of all, and to get accustomed to married life, what does your bride say? Do that. :lolhitting

I personalized each gift to the groomsmen instead of a one gift fits someone, kind of.

I received a personalized (with mine, not their names) money clip / knife I used for years and years. I also received a beer stein with their name and wedding date that was kind of nice. The engraving was very subtle.

The bats would be kind of cool, but you are right, they could end up in the back of the closet. But then any gift could, and finding something that all the groomsmen like is really impossible.

So, I'd try and pick a different gift for each guy. Ask their wives and girlfriends for advice.

I pretty much did this. I picked out things I thought each of the guys would like.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
I'm lame. I got all my guys amazon gift cards in addition to the ties they will be wearing at the wedding. The guys I have standing up are from all walks of life so it would be impossible to find something that they'd all enjoy.

That's actually a good idea because they will use them. I've been in several weddings and most of the G'men gifts are junk that you feel guilty throwing away.

The things that have come in most useful: a nice beer stein, a flask, and thats all I can think of.

I got the bat once. It now sits on a shelf in my garage collecting dust.

I got golf balls with my name and "Groomsman" and the date. Those were cool.

For my bachelor party 8 of us went to Vegas (4 groomsmen, 2 ushers and 1 Cantor). We all took a picture in front of the Venetian. I framed this and blew it up to 5X7. Very inexpensive, but it went over really well, especially since none of them had seen that picture up until that point.

I say spring for tickets and beers and take them all to a Sox game! I've gotten knife/large engraved beer mug/monogrammed stone coasters/etc. etc. The mug is the only one I have left but it is rarely used.

To me, having a fun night together would be just as fun. That may be a problem if they are not all from the same area. Hell, if a Sox game is too expensive, take them to a Kane County game if they are all baseball fans.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)
Get them whores

$40-$50 whores would probably be more of a disservice than anything else.

Edit: Not to mention it could be better phrased as $40-$50 communicable diseases.

/green

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
I say spring for tickets and beers and take them all to a Sox game! I've gotten knife/large engraved beer mug/monogrammed stone coasters/etc. etc. The mug is the only one I have left but it is rarely used.

To me, having a fun night together would be just as fun. That may be a problem if they are not all from the same area. Hell, if a Sox game is too expensive, take them to a Kane County game if they are all baseball fans.

These days we call that a bachelor party. :P

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
I was just thinking - how about memory sticks, with whatever capacity $50 will buy? Personalize them by putting a video of yourself thanking them for being in the wedding and how much you value them. That would be an easy gift and sure to be useful. Maybe someone could even engrave them.

SFF

http://www.everythingusb.com/lexar_jumpdri...ee_engrave.html

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)

Not lame at all. Jim bought the guys a round of golf at the CC we got married at and then $100 gift cards to Golfsmith - because they are avid golfers. I got the gals the pedi's and mani's for the day and $100 gift cards to their regular salons for future services. They all loved it because it was something that wouldn't sit in a box or drawer never to be seen/used again.