Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:21 AM)
I guess he still has a .355 OBP.

Any thoughts on if he or Swish is the better CF right now? I'll be honest, I haven't seen enough of Jr in years to say who is better.

Swish, easily. Griff is not very mobile in the OF.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
I guess he still has a .355 OBP.

Any thoughts on if he or Swish is the better CF right now? I'll be honest, I haven't seen enough of Jr in years to say who is better.

Griffey is a decent corner OF, still gets good reads and has a cannon arm, but he's slow as all hell now. There's a reason he's not playing CF anymore though. He used to be an all-time great out there, but that was 5 years ago.

From a Reds fan:

Pardon me while I do my victory dance. Wanted the Reds to move Griffey because there was a very real threat that he would accept arbitration. Sorry White Sox fans Griffey is on his last legs and is really a DH only player at this point.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:17 AM)
The Score seems to think he'd be in center so Swish can go to first because Swish hits better when he isn't concerned about playing defense.

Which the numbers don't support one bit. It's basically just people making excuses for Swisher.

Gotta be honest, I'm pretty f***ing confused right now. You'd think the last thing we'd need is a washed up corner OF.

Reds fans are hoping they got Broadway. More quotes:

You do not want Griffey in CF. He was the worst CF in the majors by far the last time he played it. He isn't even a good RF now, and honestly I think Dunn is better in LF then Griffey would be as well.

Put Griffey in CF and you negate any offensive production that he'd provide plus I believe he'd be injured inside two weeks.

I would play Griffey at DH...failing that he would play LF...but since its Griffey he won't play any OF position other then RF, took the Reds a few years just to get him out of CF.

Hate to say it but Griffey really isn't that great a bat any more either. Though he has been hitting better here lately.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:25 AM)
Which the numbers don't support one bit. It's basically just people making excuses for Swisher.

Gotta be honest, I'm pretty f***ing confused right now. You'd think the last thing we'd need is a washed up corner OF.

Considering both our corner OFs are having MVP-type years... and Anderson and Wise provide the supplemental tools you'd want from the 4th and 5th OFs. I don't understand this trade at all, I'm really, really curious as to what the Sox offered. I could understand if Griffey could still play CF, or if this was 2002.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:29 AM)
Considering both our corner OFs are having MVP-type years... and Anderson and Wise provide the supplemental tools you'd want from the 4th and 5th OFs. I don't understand this trade at all, I'm really, really curious as to what the Sox offered. I could understand if Griffey could still play CF, or if this was 2002.

Maybe another player from the Reds is involved? And they just reported the Griffey piece because he has to approve it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:23 AM)
The only way I dont mind this trade is if we did not trade Fields, Poreda or Shelby

Edit: actually i hope they didnt trade Brandon Allen either

Unfortunately, I think Poreda and Shelby will be involved if the Reds are smart. The Reds will definitely want arms, so I could see either Richard, Cassel, Poreda or Broadway going. The Reds would be fools not to ask for Shelby, especially if they trade Dunn. Anderson could be involved too. The Reds won't want a first baseman, don't worry about Brandon Allen. To make matters worse, Shelby did not play in yesterday's Warthogs game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:27 AM)
Reds fans are hoping they got Broadway. More quotes:

when konerko is in the lineup, we are only running 8 capable hitters to the box, so this gives us a 9th guy who can actually swing the bat and get on base

keep in mind who he's likely to be replacing in the lineup

if griffey is told to wave his NTC so he can go back to playing CF, i wouldn't be surprised if he holds pat and stays in CIN

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:33 AM)
Unfortunately, I think Poreda and Shelby will be involved if the Reds are smart. The Reds will definitely want arms, so I could see either Richard, Cassel, Poreda or Broadway going. The Reds would be fools not to ask for Shelby, especially if they trade Dunn. Anderson could be involved too. The Reds won't want a first baseman, don't worry about Brandon Allen. To make matters worse, Shelby did not play in yesterday's Warthogs game.

Poreda alone is too much to give up for Griffey. Jr is basically a bench bat for us, unless we are losing a corner OF'er. Our DH, RF and LF are all better than Jr.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:34 AM)
when konerko is in the lineup, we are only running 8 capable hitters to the box, so this gives us a 9th guy who can actually swing the bat and get on base

keep in mind who he's likely to be replacing in the lineup

if griffey is told to wave his NTC so he can go back to playing CF, i wouldn't be surprised if he holds pat and stays in CIN

There's also the remote possibility that Thome goes back to 1B and Griffey is the DH.

I don't like that, but I guess it's better than sticking Dye at 1B in the heart of a pennant race....or better than Daubach, Everett or Mackowiak in CF.

See the past 2 yrs of Ken Griffey talk on this board has come to bite us in the ass.

WTF I am so confused.

Another slow slugger....

We should of brought a lead off speed guy with high on base percentage.

UGHHH.. Hopefully they are flippig him somewhere else...

PLEASE GRIFFEY ...Be a man and do not accept!!! this deal!!

While the Angels get richer we get slower and worse in the outfield..

Another reds fan perspective

I'm not sure why the White Sox want Griffey. They have Quentin and Dye in the outfield, and they have Thome DHing. Maybe it's an insurance policy or something? I really can't imagine that the Reds will get anything more than a PTBNL.