Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:34 AM)
This is dumb. Ken Griffey Jr. is way over the hill. Please tell me we gave up next to nothing.

KW always overpays, I bet waiters and waitresses love him. It'll be at least three players going to Cincy, otherwise I'd be shocked.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (alexgtp @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
See the past 2 yrs of Ken Griffey talk on this board has come to bite us in the ass.

WTF I am so confused.

Another slow slugger....

We should of brought a lead off speed guy with high on base percentage.

UGHHH.. Hopefully they are flippig him somewhere else...

PLEASE GRIFFEY ...Be a man and do not accept!!! this deal!!

While the Angels get richer we get slower and worse in the outfield..

I hope to god it's a flip job, he does not help our team

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:37 AM)
Any relief pitchers that could be a part of this deal?

Who would we possibly want to give up besides Masset or Logan, better yet, who would another team actually want? MacDougal, lol?

I guess Russell is an outside shot, but I don't KW will give up on someone who throws in the mid to upper 90's quite so easily.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:37 AM)
Crede's about to start a rehab assignment with Charlotte, so Fields might be involved as well.

That would be like paying 100 dollars for a single cheeseburger at McD's. Reds fans think that we just gave the Reds money for him, or a low level minor leaguer. NOBODY in baseball would trade Fields for Griffey, and if KW did it, he would be flamed uncontrollably.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
That would be like paying 100 dollars for a single cheeseburger at McD's. Reds fans think that we just gave the Reds money for him, or a low level minor leaguer. NOBODY in baseball would trade Fields for Griffey, and if KW did it, he would be flamed uncontrollably.

Expect the worse, hope for the best. I hope you're right.

What a shocker. I guess some GM's have more money than sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if he declines. He still has an inflated opinion of his waning talents and won't be happy being a part time backup and batting down in the order. We'll soon find out how important winning REALLY is to him, or is it more important just being comfortable? I'll bet the Reds had to kick in some cash, at least the $4 M buyout, minimum. Only question is if the box of balls are new or used.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
KW always overpays, I bet waiters and waitresses love him. It'll be at least three players going to Cincy, otherwise I'd be shocked.

Overpaid on Jenks. Check.

Overpaid on Danks and Masset. Check.

Overpaid on Floyd. Check.

Really overpaid on Alexei Ramirez. Check.

Overpaid on Quentin big-time.

Freddy Garcia...yeah, Reed and Morse became perennial All-Stars.

Seriously, besides Chris B. Young (Mike Cameron Jr. in disguise) and Swisher, what talent have we actually given up?

If you really believe Ryan Sweeney will hit 15-20 homers some day, that DeLosSantos will recover like Liriano from surgery, and that Gio's frame will stand up, well maybe that's a loss.

Would anyone trade to re-acquire Chris Young for Quentin straight-up right now.

If you want to go back into the past, you can cite the Todd Ritchie trade as probably the worst...Fogg and Wells had decent careers, and Lowe was serviceable (I think it was Sean Lowe, if memory serves correctly?)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:39 AM)
Who would we possibly want to give up besides Masset or Logan, better yet, who would another team actually want? MacDougal, lol?

I guess Russell is an outside shot, but I don't KW will give up on someone who throws in the mid to upper 90's quite so easily.

Actually I was thinking relievers that WE would get. Another thought that I had would be that a deal would make sense as a large move, such as us getting a SP or RP from Cincy and taking Griffey's salary to not give up as much trade value.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:46 AM)
Haven't read anything on here yet. But I hate this move. They are gonn agive up some solid prospects for a guy who isn't better than what we have already. Great name, but this is 2008. Griffey is terrible now.

We all seem to think we are giving up solid prospects, Red's fans best case scenario is Brodway or us taking salary..... There has to be a middle ground there.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
If he's going to acquire a plodding lefy corner OF/DH from the Reds why couldn't it be Dunn? At least he's still talented and would bring this team a couple draft picks at the end of the season.

Because 1) we're not giving up Poreda or Fields, 2) we still need to have a bullet in the gun to go after another reliever if Linebrink can't come back or too try to pry a lefty loose on the waiver wire (along the lines of a lefty LaTroy Hawkins, like Arthur Rhodes now) to replace Logan potentially.

We would have to give up a lot more talent for Dunn than Griffey. Remember, the Red Sox might be in the bidding for Dunn if they dump Ramirez and don't get Holliday or Bay somehow.

Simply, we can't do anything to our roster that won't have a detrimental effect...you could argue letting Uribe or Anderson go, but how wanted are either of those guys by anyone?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Haven't read anything on here yet. But I hate this move. They are gonn agive up some solid prospects for a guy who isn't better than what we have already. Great name, but this is 2008. Griffey is terrible now.

He isn't terrible, he just isn't good.