Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
I'm a fan of the White Sox. I want them to acquire good players. Griffey is no better than what was already here IMO. Its 2008 not 1996. I really am not a big Konerko fan, I just have been astounded by all the crap he gets from people who claim to be White Sox fans.

You can be a White Sox fan and call out a player that has underperformed...especially given his contract and stature as team captain. I don't think you are any more of White Sox fan because you defend Paul Konerko...if anything you are less of a fan for not fixing what is broken and Konerko is broken right now.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
What is Konerko doing, again? Alomar also posted a .253 .330 .340 line with us in 2003, which is right in your boy Uribe's territory. By your logic, any struggling player posting a nice month will immediately be awful the next month. Might want to be careful with blanket statements like that.

When did I say that? So if Alomar which I used as an example of a veteran who was supposed to be revitalized put up Uribe numbers, you are making my point for me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm a fan of the White Sox. I want them to acquire good players. Griffey is no better than what was already here IMO. Its 2008 not 1996. I really am not a big Konerko fan, I just have been astounded by all the crap he gets from people who claim to be White Sox fans.

If he's taking Konerko's spot in the lineup, he's a significant improvement offensively. Defense at CF drops some, but defense at 1B goes up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Griffey Jr. will be playing CF for the White Sox, book it.

sure and andersen will fill in the late innings every night. That is fine, the question is not where griffey plays but who plays first? Konerko gets DL'd, or somebody gets traded in the enxt couple of hours. I would rather have swish than Konerko. I am sorry to say I have given up on konerko.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)

Can someone double check if is 12,000 posts were about whitesox or specifically Konerko?

I figured it out!

Dye to play first base. Griffey to RF. Swish stays in center and platoons with Anderson Konerko gets benched ..Here is the kicker..Cabrera gets traded to For Bryan Roberts..for a lead off new 2nd baseman and Alexie to SS... Anyone with me??

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Williams found a way to decrease this teams playoff chances then.

I don't think so. Defense may go down some in CF (Swish isn't good either), but defense now goes up a ton at 1B. I'd rather have 1 defensive hole and not 2. Plus we have Anderson who will most definitely be playing a prominent role in the last 2-3 innings of games.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
You can be a White Sox fan and call out a player that has underperformed...especially given his contract and stature as team captain. I don't think you are any more of White Sox fan because you defend Paul Konerko...if anything you are less of a fan for not fixing what is broken and Konerko is broken right now.

Please don't question my fandom. Its an argument you will lose. I'm saying Griffey isn't very good anymore. If he's playing CF think Carl Everett in 2003 and Rob Mackowiak in 2006, maybe slightly better.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
I don't think you are any more of White Sox fan because you defend Paul Konerko...if anything you are less of a fan for not fixing what is broken and Konerko is broken right now.

I won't question another poster's fandom, but saying that "this isn't 1996" is a silly argument given how awful Paulie has been. I agree that Paulie's taken way too much crap here, given what he's done for the organization in the past and given that he's currently playing hurt. But if Kenny can acquire an aging-but-still-productive Griffey to replace Paulie in the lineup, it's a step forward offensively. And as long as they don't ask Griffey to play CF, they won't be sacrificing on defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
Don't we already?

Exactly. We already have a corner OF playing CF. Griffey's range has left him, but he knows how to play the position. Swisher is still learning it. I don't think it's as big of a downgrade as some are acting like it is.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
I won't question another poster's fandom, but saying that "this isn't 1996" is a silly argument given how awful Paulie has been. I agree that Paulie's taken way too much crap here, given what he's done for the organization in the past and given that he's currently playing hurt. But if Kenny can acquire an aging-but-still-productive Griffey to replace Paulie in the lineup, it's a step forward offensively. And as long as they don't ask Griffey to play CF, they won't be sacrificing on defense.

Unfortunately its not 2005 for Paul Konerko.