Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

This is exciting. We gave up practically nothing. Richar is out with the emergence of Alexei.

If anything it adds new life and energy to the team with a Hall of Famer coming in.

I do have my concerns with Griff in CF but hopefully he can prove me wrong. He is still very athletic for his age.

This may have been brought up, but do we still have him under contract for next year? If so, I see Thome gawn.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Griffey is hitting .245 with 15 homers. Last year Konerko hit .259 with 31 homers and everyone was saying how much he sucked. Its going to be ugly seeing Griffey's pot belly giggling as he's chasing balls in the gaps. I give him 2 weeks before he's on the DL.

As one of the comments in the Tribune stated: 1995 called and said great trade.

The only way this is any good is if KW has a corresponding move.

Stay classy my friend.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Hard to get hot, when you're riding pine. Hopefully has a few good BP sessions. I am just worried that the mentally fragile Konerko will hang his head even more and this will make him completely useless...he's close right now but for what he has done for this organization, we owe him a mulligan for this season. Just not at the cost of the penant so sit for a majority of this year (be a solid bench producer) and get things right next year.

Mentally fragile Konerko has had some of the biggest ABs in White Sox history.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I want to punch Lawrence Holmes in the face.

Yesterday, when the Sox were sitting 0.5 up in the division, he was all doom and gloom, and proclaiming the twins were going to win this thing

Right now, "If the sox win tonight, this series didn't happen, and actually the Sox gained."

What a douchebag, SERIOUSLY.

He's right on the second account. Removing 4 games from the schedule without the Twins gaining any ground is a win for the Sox.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I want to punch Lawrence Holmes in the face.

Yesterday, when the Sox were sitting 0.5 up in the division, he was all doom and gloom, and proclaiming the twins were going to win this thing

Right now, "If the sox win tonight, this series didn't happen, and actually the Sox gained."

What a douchebag, SERIOUSLY.

WORST.CHICAGO.RADIO.PERSONALITY

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
OK, OK, I've got it all figured out.

Cabrera will get traded next, for a pitcher. Konerko will be moved to Shortstop, where his offensive numbers won't look as bad. Dye to 1B. Griffey in RF.

:headbang :lolhitting

Why don't we put Konerko back behind the plate. He couldn't be any worse than AJ at throwing out runners. Or better yet, move Konerko back to 3rd and trade Fields for a SP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Griffey is hitting .245 with 15 homers. Last year Konerko hit .259 with 31 homers and everyone was saying how much he sucked. Its going to be ugly seeing Griffey's pot belly giggling as he's chasing balls in the gaps. I give him 2 weeks before he's on the DL.

I better NOT catch Griffey's belly laughing if he's chasing a gapper!!!

That would be quite a Belly Laugh, though!!!!

:lolhitting :lolhitting

FWIW, I don't like the move. I would have liked it when Griffey was a Mariner, but he's too far gone at this point.

I hope he plays well and helps the Sox win the division, but my expectations are low.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
This is exciting. We gave up practically nothing. Richar is out with the emergence of Alexei.

If anything it adds new life and energy to the team with a Hall of Famer coming in.

I do have my concerns with Griff in CF but hopefully he can prove me wrong. He is still very athletic for his age.

This may have been brought up, but do we still have him under contract for next year? If so, I see Thome gawn.

The Sox hold a rather large team option for next year on Griffey. Jim Thome is easily a better bet than Griffey to produce and stay healthy next year, he'll also be much cheaper. The Griffey deal really shouldn't effect Jim in any way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)

Wow...

I dont know what else to say. We gave up some s*** heads for a guy who has been great the last month. and its KEN GRIFFEY JR.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)

He has a team option I believe for next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Griffey is hitting .245 with 15 homers. Last year Konerko hit .259 with 31 homers and everyone was saying how much he sucked...

Given that Griffey's numbers are a hell of a lot better than what Paulie is currently hitting, I disagree with your statement. If Griffey moves to RF, Dye moves to 1B, and Paulie moves to the DL, this could work out very well.

I don't mind giving up Massett at all, and staring at that thing on Richar's face for an enitre baseball season was not something I was looking forward to. I can't say I like this deal, until I know where they're going to put Griffey. One thing is clear. Griffey is going to sell tickets, and I do believe attendance has been down this year. The White Sox needed a way to bring in some fans, and winning a World Series only worked for a couple of years. Still, considering what we gave up...not a bad gamble.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
The things CQ will learn from the Kid!!!

or or ... the things the Kid will learn from CQ!!!

haha but yeah im pretty excited with this move, I have always wanted him on the sox, maybe a bit later then wanted but w/e hes here

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
Mentally fragile Konerko has had some of the biggest ABs in White Sox history.

I am granting him his big at-bats and thus why we should treat him well and be a part of the club (the bench a la Frank Thomas in '05) so he can right himself next year. It has long been known that Konerko is extremely self-critical and has a tough time getting out of slumps because he gets down on himself (see most Aprils). Ozzie and KW have commented on his self-criticism/frustration. So when he is mired in the slump of all slumps, you cannot expect him to just snap out of it....and yes when it comes to slumps, he is mentally fragile.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Wow...

I dont know what else to say. We gave up some s*** heads for a guy who has been great the last month. and its KEN GRIFFEY JR.

Maybe KW should see if Rollie Fingers and Tom Seaver feel like pitching. They were pretty good once. What's funny is about the same percentage of Reds fans feel the exact same way about Griffey as the majority of the board feels about Konerko.