Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
or or ... the things the Kid will learn from CQ!!!

haha but yeah im pretty excited with this move, I have always wanted him on the sox, maybe a bit later then wanted but w/e hes here

touche.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Maybe KW should see if Rollie Fingers and Tom Seaver feel like pitching. They were pretty good once. What's funny is about the same percentage of Reds fans feel the exact same way about Griffey as the majority of the board feels about Konerko.

and so the sox fans are incorrect about konerko but then the reds fans are correct about Griffey?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Maybe KW should see if Rollie Fingers and Tom Seaver feel like pitching. They were pretty good once. What's funny is about the same percentage of Reds fans feel the exact same way about Griffey as the majority of the board feels about Konerko.

Good thing Griffey has been playing significantly better than Konerko this year, then. Like .100+ OPS and almost .100 SLG better. He's hitting LHP marginally better and RHP way, way better.

I also think its hilarious that you're criticizing people for getting excited over Griffey and yet make excuses for Konerko based on several years ago.

Edited by StrangeSox

Barring some unseen trade of PK to the West coast [LAD?] I could see some kind of rotation in RF, 1b and DH that gets everyone AB's and rest. Griffey struggles vs LHP and has been very strong vs RHP. PK has been bad vs both-but better vs RHP with a .680 OPS.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
I think I've got this figured out...

Swisher's headed back to Oakland in a deal involving Duchscherer, whom KW has been after for a couple of weeks.

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the A's are not likely to make a trade today. Olney's source puts it at 1%. So, looks like Justin Duchscherer and Huston Street can rest easy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

Griffey had an OPS above .900 for the month of July. He's on a sustained hitting streak. There's a good chance going to a contender might revitalize him further. He's a first ballot hall-of-famer. Konerko isn't doing ANYTHING, and hasn't for the whole season. Our pitching isn't lights-out as it was at the start of the year, so we could use more offense. Richar and Masset aren't very good, and probably won't contribute anything worthwhile in Cincinnati, either. We don't pay anything, and Griffey probably brings back two type-B picks at the end of the year.

I don't see much worth complaining about with this move, just wondering where Griffey will play.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
Konerko is 6 years younger and doesn't have the injury history. He's also in a little better condition.

so yes then? The reds fans are right but sox fans are wrong on this?

Griffey also doesn't have an arthritic hip and crippled confidence.

if swisher is traded back to oakland, that would effectively make it, Gio & DLS for either street or duchscherer and we'd be stuck with Paulie at 1B for the rest of the year and an aging guy who was born in the late 60's, playing CF for us

wow.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Since the chances of Griffey to the Sox would have been seen as less than 1% yesterday, I wouldn't go assuming anything.

true, but no one said Griffey wasnt going somewhere, or that the Reds werent making any deals

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Griffey had an OPS above .900 for the month of July. He's on a sustained hitting streak. There's a good chance going to a contender might revitalize him further. He's a first ballot hall-of-famer. Konerko isn't doing ANYTHING, and hasn't for the whole season. Our pitching isn't lights-out as it was at the start of the year, so we could use more offense. Richar and Masset aren't very good, and probably won't contribute anything worthwhile in Cincinnati, either. We don't pay anything, and Griffey probably brings back two type-B picks at the end of the year.

I don't see much worth complaining about with this move, just wondering where Griffey will play.

Revitalized like Robby Alomar? Swisher had a nice OPS in June, it didn't mean squat in July.

Griffey vs RHP: .261/.373/.452 11 HR, 43 BB, 38 K

He's not going to play much vs LHP so his overall numbers mean little. He can still hit, and has over a .900 OPS in the last month. I don't believe Griff will be much worse than Swish in CF, and Swish is a hell of a lot better than Konerko at 1B. Good trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
And he would want to go to SF why? Konerko is going nowhere, just hope he gets hot.

To start.

The Sox aren't going to play him when he's hitting like this. Hence why they made the trade for Griffey Jr.

Swish hasn't been good this season, but he gets on base and when he does get hot (as he was in June), he can put up some sick OPS numbers.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)

I doubt the Sox get any sort of compensation for Griffey at season's end. They won't risk offering arbitration to a 39 year old who made $12M this year and would only bring in a sandwich pick anyway.