Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hear Williams quotes concerning this trade? ESPN had a quick segment from him where he said CF is the easiest of the positions to field. There's something wrong with someone who belives that. And no, I don't believe he was "purposely doing this to deceive the media" or any other excuse some of you may come up with.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Anyone hear Williams quotes concerning this trade? ESPN had a quick segment from him where he said CF is the easiest of the positions to field. There's something wrong with someone who belives that. And no, I don't believe he was "purposely doing this to deceive the media" or any other excuse some of you may come up with.

He's not going to force a player to play a below average position just because he said so to the media. Pods was slated for CF the day they traded for him as well, and where did he play?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
I bet Swisher gives up #30.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Bite your tongue!

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I'll take that bet... I don't think he does.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
I went over this earlier in the shower this morning when I first heard. haha. Anyway.

3 Baines

30 Swish

33 Vazquez

24 Crede

42 Jackie

What does that leave? Swisher's got too much marketing tied up in Dirty 30 to give that up. Vaz could go back to his old 22 if Fields gave it up. Other than that, you start anew (Crede shouldn't switch numbers).

Here are my suggestions.

32 (BA would switch)

44 (Hall would switch)

43 (Wasserman would switch)

31 (Wise would switch)

Good thing you guys don't bet.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

Depends on your perspective. It's easier because you get a more true read on the ball. Balls hit to center tend to be hit straigher with less spin. Balls hit to right or left tend to have more spin and will hook or slice more. With how hard the MLB players hit the ball, that spin causes a great deal of movement.

On the other hand the CF needs to cover more ground and needs to get a better jump.

So as a great philosopher once said "it is true, from a certain point of view."

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Depends on your persepective. It's easier because you get a more true read on the ball. Balls hit to center tend to be hit straighet with less spin. Balls hit to right or left tend to have more spin and will hook or slice more.

On the other hand the CF needs to cover more ground and needs to get a better jump.

So as a great philosopher once said "it is true, from a certain point of view."

Ask Carlos Gomez about how easy it is to field a ball in CF at the Cell. Torri Hunter even made some terrible plays there.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Ask Carlos Gomez about how easy it is to field a ball in CF at the Cell. Torri Hunter even made some terrible plays there.

i never said any of them is easy. I just said that LF and RF tend to be more difficult. I've tried fielding balls during batting practice and while I'm a decent athlete I didn't have a chance reading the balls off the bat correctly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
You know what's so awesome about this?

In 50 years, when some kid is learning all about baseball and looking at digital cards on the Supernet or whatever the f*** its going to be called then... he'll know Ken Griffey Jr played for the Chicago White Sox.

A WS ring will trump all that

...just saying

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm just wondering who is going to get replaced in this deal. All these veterans; some will see diminished PT and will probably brood. Sorry I don't worship Swish. Thanks for bashing my Swish trade comment and not answering my question.

Your personal opinion of Swisher and your perception of everyone else's personal opinion of Swisher is completely and totally unrelated to his trade value. In a roundabout way, yes that does answer your question. Trading Swish for Griffey straight up would be insane.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
He's not going to force a player to play a below average position just because he said so to the media. Pods was slated for CF the day they traded for him as well, and where did he play?

Find some articles suggesting that, because I doubt that was the plan. Rowand just came off a .900 OPS season in 2004 as our CF, and considering how Lee (our LF) was dealt for Podsednik, I'd say he was slated for LF from day one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
i never said any of them is easy. I just said that LF and RF tend to be more difficult. I've tried fielding balls during batting practice and while I'm a decent athlete I didn't have a chance reading the balls off the bat correctly.

This is just from your experience, which I'm sorry to say is wrong. CF is the most difficult OF position to field and there shouldn't be any debate. Lets just throw Dye or Quentin in CF and see what happens. Remember Mackowiak, or Podsednik? They were LFers who failed miserably in CF.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
Your personal opinion of Swisher and your perception of everyone else's personal opinion of Swisher is completely and totally unrelated to his trade value. In a roundabout way, yes that does answer your question. Trading Swish for Griffey straight up would be insane.

Take it was a grain of salt. That's the same guy who wanted Swish CUT earlier this season.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
This is just from your experience, which I'm sorry to say is wrong. CF is the most difficult OF position to field and there shouldn't be any debate. Lets just throw Dye or Quentin in CF and see what happens. Remember Mackowiak, or Podsednik? They were LFers who failed miserably in CF.

A player that covers ground really well will get better reads and thus cover even more ground in center than he would in the corner spots because the break of a ball is sometimes almost unpredictable at that high of a level.

A player that covers ground really well will get better reads and thus cover even more ground in center than he would in the corner spots because the break of a ball is sometimes almost unpredictable and much more severe at the corner spots at that high of a level of baseball.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
Find some articles suggesting that, because I doubt that was the plan. Rowand just came off a .900 OPS season in 2004 as our CF, and considering how Lee (our LF) was dealt for Podsednik, I'd say he was slated for LF from day one.

Yeah, like I'm going to do that research. Several outlets said PODS in CF, A-row in LF. I'm just saying.

And for that Gomez fielding at the Cell comment before, that was probably the most wicked bending ball to center i've ever seen. NOBODY couldve read that one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
A player that covers ground really well will get better reads and thus cover even more ground in center than he would in the corner spots because the break of a ball is sometimes almost unpredictable and much more severe at the corner spots at that high of a level of baseball.

And....that would suggest your best defensive outfielders are in CF because of those exact reasons -- they possess speed and an ability to read the ball well off the bat.

Again, lets think about this -- Jermaine Dye is our RFer. Would you put him in CF? If not, then explain why and then ask yourself why he is in RF.

This shouldn't even be up for debate. I thought we were smarter than this, Soxtalk.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Yeah, like I'm going to do that research. Several outlets said PODS in CF, A-row in LF. I'm just saying.

And for that Gomez fielding at the Cell comment before, that was probably the most wicked bending ball to center i've ever seen. NOBODY couldve read that one.

I don't think they did, and its pretty much your sole of example of why Griffey may not be in CF -- despite Williams confirming it. Rowand was considered around here to be a Gold Glover in CF, why in the hell would he be moved to LF for Podsednik?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Well, I guess the most obvious move is Griffey to CF, Swish to 1B and Platoon Thome/Konerko at DH or have Paulie backup at 1B.

Right?

Paulie will play first when Griffey needs a night off. I wouldn't platoon him with Thome.