Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Speaking of teams who aren't as good as people thought...Mizzou

I dont even know what he is talkin about with Illinois

For the other Illini fans on the board, did any of you expect anything better than another 9-3, 8-4 season this year with our schedule? Thats what I had us figured for, I don't know who he is talkin about that thought Illinois was winning 10-11 games and fighting for a National Title spot

Illinois should be primed to have their best year next season, that's what I have been holding out on

QUOTE (Shadows @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)

For the other Illini fans on the board, did any of you expect anything better than another 9-3, 8-4 season this year with our schedule? Thats what I had us figured for, I don't know who he is talkin about that thought Illinois was winning 10-11 games and fighting for a National Title spot

Illinois should be primed to have their best year next season, that's what I have been holding out on

I don't think anyone was talking about Illinois fighting for a national title spot except for maybe one or two absurdly optimistic people that every fan base has. The team was ranked in the 20s to start the year and that is the type of team I thought Illinois would be and probably still is. I thought they would go about 8-4 and make a decent bowl before the season.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)

I expected us to lose 4 games...Mizzou, PSU, Wisky, and OSU, with the possibility of squeaking one of those out.

Minnesota at home is a terrible loss. Like I said earlier, we're now looking at perhaps a 4-4 big ten record. That Wisky games looks more and more winnable by the week, which could have gotten us to a 6-2 big ten record with a win today.

This loss completely changes the direction of the season, IMO. All the momentum from last week's big win is gone, and we're looking at a much s***tier bowl game.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
I expected us to lose 4 games...Mizzou, PSU, Wisky, and OSU, with the possibility of squeaking one of those out.

This is pretty much exactly what I thought going into the year

however, after seeing everything so far I wouldn't put Wisky and OSU in the loss column just yet as Wisconsin has pretty much been meh and OSU doesn't look as mighty as they have in past years so who knows..

We cant be losing these type of games though

That was a lot of fun to be at even if it is the worst I've seen Mizzou's offense play in at least 2 years. When OU manhandled them in the Big 12 title game it was because OU's defense owned them. Ok State's secondary was extremely impressive, but Mizzou made a lot of mistakes and shouldn't have lost that game. The defense gave up 28 points and forced 3 turnovers. Mizzou isn't supposed to lose games like that with their offense. Oh well, hopefully they can salvage the season against Texas next week.

Put me in the camp that thought Illinois would go 8-4 or 9-3. This loss was bad because if you know anything about both teams you know that Illinois was just sorta pissing around with Minny. Why Locksley called so many stupid plays is beyond me. Why not run the shotgun option when you're on the one? It's unstoppable. Instead you try a qb sneak and a pa rollout? Stupid. And Minny is better, no doubt, but they scored 14 pts off two fumbles inside Illinois' 10 yard line. I think Illinois is a good team, and if they win out from here, they should still be able to go to a good bowl. Though not a new years day bowl, which was what I was hoping for.

I thought Illinois would go 8-4. I thought they might actually have a better team, but due to that schedule, I figured 8-4 and MAYBE 9-3. After yesterday though, that is clearly wrong. Ron Zook was right back in Florida form yesterday, having a team outplay a team they are much better then, but still lose due to stupid s***. Games like that are why he was HATED in Gainesville. It really was sickening to watch yesterday, even though I am an NIU student (thank God they won yesterday) I always have and will root for the Illini. Usually I don't get emotionally invested to the point where they make me mad, but it was impossible not to reach that point yesterday.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
I've only watched part of one Alabama game, but I'm a little surprised that Texas went all the way to #1. Probably the kiss of death this season for the Longhorns.

Texas beat what was the clear #1 team in the nation on a neutral field. Alabama's win at Georgia was just as if not more impressive IMO, but the voters saw Texas pick up a great victory Saturday and Alabama have the day off. That is probably why they jumped to #1, of course it doesn't really mean much. As long as you are in the top 2, life is good, and really at this point the rankings don't mean much because everybody seems to lose at least once anyways. Penn State is probably in the best shape to go undefeated, as outside of the Ohio State game in Columbus, they don't have another game on the schedule they could lose unless they just don't show up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm trying to get tickets to see Penn State on the 11/15 against Indiana.

Is there anywhere else besides the usual sources (Stubhub, E-Bay and Craiglist) to try and get cheap tickets possibly?

EDIT: Scrap that idea, I thought Penn State was in Philly, not halfway b/w Philly and Pittsburgh. May have to try and get tickets to a UConn game instead somehow.

I had a few friends tell me that Lou Holtz made some sort of Hitler reference this evening. So, if you see him at all tomorrow (and if he indeed made such a reference, I doubt you will), I would imagine there will be some sort of significant apology made.

Edited by whitesoxfan101