Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

One of Florida and Alabama will be eliminated, either next weekend or in the SEC Championship game.

Which still leaves the big mess which is the B12 to sort out...the friction (along with the OU loses to OSU, TT loses to MO, TX goes to the title game without playing in B12 Championship) will happen with OU and Texas in all likelihood. If both those teams win out for the rest of the season and one's denied a place in the Championship Game, it will be the stuff of (temporary) legend for a long time in Austin or Stillwater. Oklahoma will also argue that while the Cotton Bowl is sort of neutral, it's still a game played in Texas.

Then again, it's also possible that Alabama loses this weekend, then beats Florida for the SEC Championship...that's also quite possible.

So then you might have USC going without winning the PAC 10.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, this crisis can be simply averted.

As long as Bama loses, your National Championship is Utah vs. Ball State.

Where's my money?

On a side note, I wonder what kind of ratings that game would get if it was for all the marbles? Cause it'd be intriguing, that's for damn sure.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
Um, this crisis can be simply averted.

As long as Bama loses, your National Championship is Utah vs. Ball State.

Where's my money?

On a side note, I wonder what kind of ratings that game would get if it was for all the marbles? Cause it'd be intriguing, that's for damn sure.

Three team tourny between Utah, Boise and Ball State?

Psh, ACC sucks lol.

Atlantic

Boston College goes to the ACC Championship Game if they beat Maryland.

or

Florida State goes to the ACC Championship Game if Maryland beats Boston College. (Go Terps!)

Coastal

Virgina Tech goes to the ACC Championship Game if they beat Virginia.

or

Georgia Tech goes to the ACC Championship Game if Virginia beats Virginia Tech.

Either way, crappy Orange Bowl ensues.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Ok, TTU in the championship, this is how...

FSU beats Florida

USC loses to Notre Dame

Texas loses to A&M

Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma State

Then Texas Tech beats Mizzou in the Big 12 title game

Florida beats Bama in the SEC title game

Hey, it can happen.

Alright, get Utah into the title game now. :P

My hopes for the BCS:

National Championship:

Florida vs. Oklahoma

This should be a great game. These are easily the top 2 teams in the nation, IMO. Both have very good D's with fantastic offenses.

Fiesta Bowl:

Texas vs. USC

The rematch of the 2006 National Championship-Rose Bowl game. Should be another great game between the two programs. It'll be a whole lot better than seeing USC beat up on the Big Ten once again.

Sugar Bowl:

Alabama vs. Utah

I think the Sugar Bowl would easily choose Utah over Cincinnati. Utah, while it will likely lose by a couple TD's, should be competitive and make it at least a half-way decent game to watch. Who knows, they might even get the upset over Alabama.

Rose Bowl:

Penn St. vs. Oregon St.

The only reason why I think/want Oregon St. to win is so I don't have to see USC dominate the Big Ten again. Penn St. is a very solid team, but USC would more than likely steam roll them, and I really want to see a USC-Texas rematch. So, Penn St. will likely dominate this game vs. Oregon St., but maybe some thoughts of revenge will make this game interesting.

Orange Bowl:

Georgia Tech/Virginia Tech/Boston College/Florida St. vs. Cincinnati

Well this sucks. Cincinnati isn't all that good, and neither are any of the ACC teams. The fact that none of the teams are that good should at least make it at least a close game. I would much prefer watch a game between Ball St. and Boise St., but that's possible.

Edited by BearSox

Alabama vs. Utah is a bad idea. Alabama would probably run for 250 to 300 yards on Utah, have the ball for 40 minutes, and win easily. Complete physical mismatch.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Oklahoma will also argue that while the Cotton Bowl is sort of neutral, it's still a game played in Texas.

That would be quite the misguided argument. They sell the tickets 50/50, and even the campuses are almost an identical distance away (Norman is 190 miles from Dallas, Austin is 197 miles). It's as neutral a site for a game as you'll find.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
That would be quite the misguided argument. They sell the tickets 50/50, and even the campuses are almost an identical distance away (Norman is 190 miles from Dallas, Austin is 197 miles). It's as neutral a site for a game as you'll find.

While I disagree that its as neutral as it gets, it isn't much of a Texas advantage and OU should have won that game anyways..

but after they demolish Ok St its not gonna matter much because they will go in front of Texas after this next week anyways..

Oklahoma's resume is much more impressive than Texas' when its all said an done despite losing to Texas. If they want to have the two best teams play for the National Title at the end of the year, if all continues to go as planned, it should be Florida vs. Oklahoma which would be an outstanding game to watch.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Alabama vs. Utah is a bad idea. Alabama would probably run for 250 to 300 yards on Utah, have the ball for 40 minutes, and win easily. Complete physical mismatch.

Im thinking that the only fair matchup for Utah and Boise is against each other.

Florida is the best team in college football right now. Hands down.

As much as I hate saying it b/c I hate Florida more than any other team in any sport, it's true. They are peaking at the right time. Sure, they could lose to Alabama in the SEC Championship game, just as any team can lose any given saturday. But, Florida is ridiculous right now.