Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Golden Tate is a badass... How did we ever let him get out of the state?

Tate and Floyd are legit I will say that much. I'm just not sold on Clausen even despite his great numbers last night. He was just doing what he's done everytime I've ever seen him last night, chucking it up for grabs a la Rex Grossman. But last night, it was working out for him, like it did a few times for Rex. Didn't see anything earth breaking or different last night from the Irish, of course I was VERY wrong about that game so I could be very wrong about the future of that team.

I'm not so sure Mizzou actually played like crap. I think that's just how good/bad of a team they are. When you say a team plays like crap for about half of their games, I'd say that's just the way they play. Northwestern outplayed them. I wanted Northwestern to win, but I was nearly heartbroken that Jeff Wolfert could potentially have been the goat for Mizzou. That guy had been automatic throughout his career.

Also, it's kinda funny how people sometimes make the argument that a playoff system would make bowl games irrelevant. This thread has shown that the interest in 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games is minimal anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 02:30 AM)
I'm not so sure Mizzou actually played like crap. I think that's just how good/bad of a team they are. When you say a team plays like crap for about half of their games, I'd say that's just the way they play. Northwestern outplayed them. I wanted Northwestern to win, but I was nearly heartbroken that Jeff Wolfert could potentially have been the goat for Mizzou. That guy had been automatic throughout his career.

Also, it's kinda funny how people sometimes make the argument that a playoff system would make bowl games irrelevant. This thread has shown that the interest in 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games is minimal anyway.

That.

No way Mizzou played like crap, they played like they always played and looked like a deer in the headlights when a defense lined up across from them. NW was winning the battle in the trenches all day and it showed.

I'm still trying to make a verdict on Maclin. I understand he's fast as hell but yesterday I never saw him go up and make a play. Sure, when he kept getting handoffs, it was an automatic 10 yards, but the Bears and probably 25 other teams wouldn't use him like that. I'm just not sure if I'd have the Bears draft him or Kenny Britt, if they do go WR in the 1st round.

In the game no one cares about, Alabama will play without All-America OT Andre Smith. It sounds as if someone (possible family member?) had some contact with an agent and Smith seemed to be uncooperative with the administration when trying to investigate. The general feeling is he was trying to protect someone.

Smith is expected to be a top 5 pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

I don't know if Maclin will be anything more than a Bernard Berrian-fly receiver, but I don't think you should judge one game where fat face chase couldn't hit a barn door as an example of Maclin "not making a play". Besides the fact that him and coffman were clearly our entire offense, Maclin had a beautiful catch that he couldn't get his foot down in the end zone because taco man threw too far outside, and in his career I've said "wow" to him more than any other MIzzou player in my 4 years. And it's not just because his speed. His career was only 2 years though, keep in mind.

I don't know how Maclin will be in the NFL, frankly picking who will be a good receiver in the NFL is hard. This past decade I've seen sure thing after sure thing not only suck, but be out of the league in a few years. I would think that Dez Bryant would be that prototype first rounder that just doesn't pan out for whatever reason. He's tall, good speed, great hands - all the attributes I've seen busts have. Sarcasm. Maclin will at least be useful in special teams, so that's a plus for him. He'd be fun on the dolphins, I think.