Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (AssHatSoxFan @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Cy, won the Capitol One Mascot Challenge

We're a bunch of computer nerds.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Then how do you explain one of the most unathletic teams in Iowa beating Florida, LSU and now South Carolina? Iowa didn't have better athletes on the field in any of those games, did they? Sure, we've had a Shonn Greene here, a Dallas Clark or Bob Sanders there (the last two were two star recruits or not even on the "map" in terms of rating services)...but can you really say that it's impossible for Big 10 teams to defeat USC or teams from the SEC? Yes, Iowa was wiped out by USC in 2002 in the Orange Bowl, but USC and LSU beat Oklahoma when those Sooners teams were SUPPOSED to be the best team in the country, and OU had plenty of athletes as well.

Georgia was predicted to be the preseason #1...they could beat any team in the country on any given day, especially at home. They could also lose to just about any SEC team this year, as proven.

If you want to talk about conferences that have fallen off, look to the ACC and the Big East. Are they relevant to anyone anymore?

Did anyone really expect Northwestern to beat Missouri? They played a good game...against a Missouri team that was fighting it out for the National Championship at the end of 2008 and heading into 2009.

Minnesota didn't even deserve to be in a bowl game, look at their final game against Iowa (also for Wisconsin)...heck, you could say pretty much the same thing for South Carolina, and they certainly played like a team heading in the wrong direction today, while Iowa had all the momentum in the world on its side finally after some very close early season losses at Pitt, against Northwestern (they had that game put away until a fumble at the end of the first half let NU back into it)...and they were in the games until the final minutes at MSU and Illinois. That said, Iowa would have been the worst undefeated team in recent memory had they snuck into a BCS game somehow. Whenever Iowa fans get discouraged, Ferentz always figures out a way to resuscitate the program. He has done it twice now. It's easier to rebuild from scratch than to have a sustained level of success (three consecutive #8 finishes in the country from 02-04), lose it almost completely and then get back to a very high level again. You almost never seen a program under the same coach recover these days in those situations.

With all that said, with the weakness of Michigan and the surge by Texas Tech and OSU this season, the Big 12 South and the SEC are the two dominant elements of college football, along with USC.

All I know about Iowa/Big Ten is that Iowa State almost won at Iowa (had nearly more than 100 more total yards than the Hawks) and ISU is one of the worst BCS teams there is.

The Big Ten should be thanking Iowa for beating Penn State and saving the conference the embarrassment of getting destroyed in the title game had Penn St. run the table.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you'd have to admit that the Iowa team playing at the end of the season and the one with Stanzi prancing around like a newborn on baby legs were two very different teams....Iowa's offensive and defensive lines have become dominant units, the hallmarks of the 2002-2004 years. As I said, Iowa ALMOST lost against Iowa State...but they could make a legitimate argument they weren't that far from an unbeaten season either.

Obviously, Iowa would get crushed more often than not by the Top 5-7 teams in college football, but they could battle just about anyone on a neutral site with Greene, a more confident Stanzi and the combination of OL/DL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Whatever. When you see Big-10 teams get their asses waxed (these games aren't even remotely competitive) every year what other conclusion should one come to? I realize how good these teams are. But a competitive game is simply too much to ask for? This has become embarrassing. The Big-10 has been considered a weak conference for years by just about anybody who's not a fan of a Big-10 team. And that perception will not change as long as these pathetic showings in these bowl games continue. And I'm an Illini fan. Just keepin' it real.

And yet you are only talking about one team getting waxed. There is plenty of talent in the Big Ten and the athletes are just as good as any other conference, the quality of talent on the field in the conference has nothing to do with OSU getting beaten by 3 great teams. The Bucks have one of the best RB, LB and DB in the country and yet USC made them look terrible. USC can do that to alot of teams, in every conference. I'd like to see a B12 team step on the field with that defense across from them.

Might as well just save the posts anyway since OSU will prob get smoked again by a team that should be in the national title game while OSU is only the second best team in an average Big Ten. Which will once again bring back the "speed" and "athletic" discussion about the conference.

Edited by RockRaines

i think that OSU is still the better team than Penn State, for what it's worth...but neither are dominant teams

as for me, i'm happy to see Florida instead of USC as a Sooners fan...USC/Carroll already beat us once in a game we were supposed to win, but this offense against OU should be able to put up 50-60 on Florida, the only question is how many points the defense will give up, although they showed some signs of waking up late in the season

well when your second best team is getting beat by another conferences second best team ... it speaks somethin. That said I don't like Colt McCoy and he may well suck. The Texas d-line will decide that game, if they decide to play.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
i think that OSU is still the better team than Penn State, for what it's worth...but neither are dominant teams

as for me, i'm happy to see Florida instead of USC as a Sooners fan...USC/Carroll already beat us once in a game we were supposed to win, but this offense against OU should be able to put up 50-60 on Florida, the only question is how many points the defense will give up, although they showed some signs of waking up late in the season

Stoops' defense have done nothing in bowl games of late to give me confidence it can stop one as good as floridas.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
You can say the same for the Big 10.

Oh wait, youre a Big 10 fan so you have to spin it to make it look better.

The ACC sucks, the Big East sucks and the Big 10 sucks.

LOL, the Big 10 is better than the ACC. Before tonight, the ACC hadn't won a BCS game since FSU won the 1999 title game. Since the BCS was created, the ACC has never sent more than one team to a BCS game. The BIG 10 has done it seven times.

As for USC, it's always amazing how talented that team is. It's equally amazing how much they play down to their competition and lose to teams like Stanford and UCLA.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
LOL, the Big 10 is better than the ACC. Before tonight, the ACC hadn't won a BCS game since FSU won the 1999 title game. Since the BCS was created, the ACC has never sent more than one team to a BCS game. The BIG 10 has done it seven times.

As for USC, it's always amazing how talented that team is. It's equally amazing how much they play down to their competition and lose to teams like Stanford and UCLA.

USC would be much better off in the Big 12 South. They'd have to get up for almost every game, and it would really push/press/challenge them. Their biggest enemy is always cockiness and complacency. Or a really good team at UCLA to bring out their best. The Pac 10 has enough athleticism, though, that any team (well, besides Washington and WSU) can win any given game on their home field.

As far as Stoops goes, you have the National Championship losses to USC and LSU, then recently to Boise State (that was something of a fluke) and also to West Virginia last year. There's just a different feeling about this year's team, but we'll have to wait and see. I really wonder what happened to New Year's Day? It used to be so much fun growing up. Now you have all these peripheral games after the 1st, and three of the major games (as well as the Cotton Bowl, which is kind of the fifth/forgotten bowl) aren't played until later. I guess it's better for the fans to see all the games, but the excitement of everything being decided in one long day is gone. Still, the NCAA's making boatloads of money, even with the ridiculously unnecessary/antiquated bowl system (see Dan Wetzel's excellent reason column on this subject at yahoosports.com, the wasteful spending of the bowl committees appears even more egregious in these time of financial austerity).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
well when your second best team is getting beat by another conferences second best team ... it speaks somethin. That said I don't like Colt McCoy and he may well suck. The Texas d-line will decide that game, if they decide to play.

The only reason Texas is the "second best team" is because of a terrible rule that will be changed moving forward.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)

where did I ever rank the conferences? It seems common for Big 10 fans to start ripping on other conferences when people say the Big 10 is bad. Guess it makes them feel better about how bad the Big 10 really is.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
where did I ever rank the conferences? It seems common for Big 10 fans to start ripping on other conferences when people say the Big 10 is bad. Guess it makes them feel better about how bad the Big 10 really is.

Your insight is magnificant.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
We're a bunch of computer nerds.

All I know about Iowa/Big Ten is that Iowa State almost won at Iowa (had nearly more than 100 more total yards than the Hawks) and ISU is one of the worst BCS teams there is.

The Big Ten should be thanking Iowa for beating Penn State and saving the conference the embarrassment of getting destroyed in the title game had Penn St. run the table.

Iowa did nothing but get better as the season went on and beat top teams like Penn State and smeared some other opponents once Stanzi got aclimated. Bottom line is they beat Iowa State too.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
So I guess you believe Ole Miss is also better than Florida.

I am guessing at some point that made sense to you before you posted it. Im trying to figure out how I would draw a comparison between a Texas team pushed out of the title game because of a rule and a 5-3 in conference Ole Miss team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
I am guessing at some point that made sense to you before you posted it. Im trying to figure out how I would draw a comparison between a Texas team pushed out of the title game because of a rule and a 5-3 in conference Ole Miss team.

Head to head in one game doesn't always tell you who the better team is. OU has the better resume. The correct team is in the title game.

Ole Miss is one of the Top 10 teams in the nation, hands down. Maybe Top 5. I don't know after Oklahoma, USC, and maybe Florida who Ole Miss couldn't beat. They lost to Bama by 4, but if Ole Miss played them the way they're playing now, I think I'd take Ole Miss. Good thing I bet on Ole Miss today. I guaranteed victory to all my friends, so I can't wait to give a big "f*** you" to all of them who gave me s*** about taking Ole Miss. Woo! I am so happy right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
It was a Cotton Bowl with a Tech team that didn't give a s***. I'd back off the top 10 calls a bit.

I wouldn't. Not when they beat Florida, lost to Alabama by 4, crushed LSU and every other team they played towards the end of the season. Their only losses came early in the year before Jevan Snead got settled in. The defense has been great all year, but they weren't going to win games like the Vandy game where they had 5 turnovers and still had a chance to win at the end. Now that the offense is hitting on all cylinders and they aren't turning it over much, the defense is even better b/c they get to stay off the field longer.

Oh, and you really don't think Texas Tech "didn't give a s***?" Well, you're wrong. I think it showed how much they did care when it started getting chippy at the end of the game and a few of the TT offensive lineman got personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct. The TT players looked completely frustrated.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
I wouldn't. Not when they beat Florida, lost to Alabama by 4, crushed LSU and every other team they played towards the end of the season. Their only losses came early in the year before Jevan Snead got settled in. The defense has been great all year, but they weren't going to win games like the Vandy game where they had 5 turnovers and still had a chance to win at the end. Now that the offense is hitting on all cylinders and they aren't turning it over much, the defense is even better b/c they get to stay off the field longer.

Oh, and you really don't think Texas Tech "didn't give a s***?" Well, you're wrong. I think it showed how much they did care when it started getting chippy at the end of the game and a few of the TT offensive lineman got personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct. The TT players looked completely frustrated.

I can tell you honestly that Tech didn't give a s*** about the bowl. Very similar to Cal a few years ago getting the shaft after being ranked #4 in the BCS, and getting dominated by Texas Tech in their 04 bowl. As for the Texas Tech players losing their cool, it was two hotheads who have done that crap before and Hamby had an assault charge in the offseason. He's a dips***.

Ole Miss has a damn good team, but after the way I have seen their fans act, I have to say that I would root for the Mississippi river against their fans.

Edited by Palehosefan