Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...rmidable/080905

It's fine with me. I like not having the Labor Day game. The last couple of years have been weak, but last year was decent: Alabama (neutral), @ Colorado, @ Florida, UAB.

2010 should be fun: @ Oklahoma, Florida, BYU.

The ACC sucks though. I'm not trying to say our schedule is good or anything. It's far from it. Wake Forest is better than doubtful though.

Edited by chimpy2121

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU just completely melting down right now. USC is just a much better team and even if OSU had Wells USC wins this game easily IMO. By the way Todd Boeckman just absolutely sucks. I know the O-Line hasn't performed well today, but that guy has no pocket presence, takes forever to get rid of the ball and once he gets hit he goes into a shell.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
There is no way USC should lose a regular season game this year.

especially with how bad the rest of the pac 10 looked today....couldnt believe that UCLA BYU game.....oregon really should have lost, and then cal is tripped up by a bad maryland team (who lost to middle tenn. state and barely beat flacco-less delaware)

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
especially with how bad the rest of the pac 10 looked today....couldnt believe that UCLA BYU game.....oregon really should have lost, and then cal is tripped up by a bad maryland team (who lost to middle tenn. state and barely beat flacco-less delaware)

Seriously, how bad is Tennessee if they lost to that UCLA team?

Wisconsin survives at Fresno State, but the Big 10 still was horrible today. This might be the worst the Big 10 has been yet this season when you combine Michigan and the fact Ohio State was a joke tonight. They can't even use the "if we only had Beanie" excuse, because they couldn't block or tackle tonight. Penn State and Wisconsin are the only teams of relevance in the league that might be better this year, and I'm still iffy on if Wisconsin is. Illinois I guess could be better too, but their schedule is pretty rough and they've been underwhelming in every game so far. Either way, you see my point. The league is better depthwise because Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa are better, but nobody cares about depth. It matters what the big boys do, and part of the reason the league will be "deep" is the big boys are down. It's like the NFL, almost everybody has a chance because almost nobody is great.

At the same time, the ACC and Big East still blow (both much worse than the Big 10) and the Pac-10 was BRUTAL today too outside of SC being great and Oregon getting some good luck. It seems like the Big 12 and SEC are miles ahead of every other conference in America right now. I would be surprised if the National Championship game isn't between USC and Oklahoma or Missouri. The only game on Mizzou's schedule I could see them losing is at Texas, and if OU survives the red river shootout, they get to play Texas Tech at home (sorry, KU is good, but not in the same class as either Mizzou or OU). Either Mizzou or Oklahoma will run the table (if not both), and I think one will go win the Big 12 Title game too. Then again, with as good as the Big 12 is, maybe neither survive. But after seeing the rest of the Pac-10 today, the only team left that can beat USC before early January is USC.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Texas Tech worked out the offensive kinks against SMU with 695 yards total and 182 rushing yards, finally a balanced attack this year.

That game was rough to watch, Bo Levi Mitchell's brother is one of my best friends and man he played baaaaad

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
OSU just completely melting down right now. USC is just a much better team and even if OSU had Wells USC wins this game easily IMO. By the way Todd Boeckman just absolutely sucks. I know the O-Line hasn't performed well today, but that guy has no pocket presence, takes forever to get rid of the ball and once he gets hit he goes into a shell.

He's awful.

And its time to close the book on this overachieving group of players. Many of them were unheradled coming out of high school, and they surprised us by playing well enough to win the big ten. Unfortunately only a small number of them are really top talents, and they never really could step up to the next level. I am for one am looking forward to this next big group of better talent to see if they can get it done.

After taking a day to reflect on Michigan's giveaway against Notre Dame, I am actually encouraged by a lot of things I saw. Don't get me wrong, the turnovers, penalties and other mistakes were of the "throw the remote" variety", there were a lot of improvements, mainly in the offense. Some randome observations, both good and bad.

1. The turnovers were pathetic. There is no way any team can expect to win coughing up the ball in an unforced manner as Michigan did Sat. The good thing is that is correctable.

2. Two turnovers led to a quick 14 ND points. Two turnovers later inside the ND 10 yard line killed scoring opportunities. As bad as Michgan looked, they were inside the 5-yard line knocking on the door to make it 28-24 when Kevin Grady coughed up the ball fighting for extra yardage.

3. Turnovers aside, the offense outplayed Notre Dame. They outgained ND 388 yards to 260.

4. Steve Threet finally looked like a QB that could win games. Still a lot of work to do, but he made better decisions and hit receivers he had been previously missing due to inaccuracy.

5. Sam McGuffie seems to be pulling a Mike Hart in terms of taking over the main RB spot as a true freshman. It seemed every time he touched the ball Sat he was a threat to break one long. The other backs, with nagging injuries and fumble-itis are giving him that opening and he seems to be willing to take it.

He's no Mike Hart in terms of pass blocking, however.

6. The defense was better in the 2nd half, but that may have been because the offenses weren't as dangerous in the bad weather. The defense has been better in the 2nd half of each game however.

7. The defense has potential to be dominating, but they still miss too many open-field tackles (see Stevie Brown on Golden Tate's 60 yard reception). The safeties are good in run support, but seemed to get burned in pass coverage at least a few times a game and have problems tackling on short passes.

8. If the improvement continues, and the turnover bug goes away, then Michigan will not be a door mat in conference play. Then again, the level of play in the conference is so low right now, I'm not sure that is such a big statement.

Watching yesterday's game would lead one to think Michigan is a terrible team. After watching them three times now, I see improvements and am hoping they continue. They will never be a great team this year, but I think they could be dangerous as the year progresses.

My thoughts exactly, Rex. Even though they were down 21-0, I felt they still should have, maybe could have won the game.

I've been following how Shavodrick Beaver, the QB Rodriguez recruited for next year. 4 star out of Texas. Looks made for this offense.

I wish Threet was a tad quicker, but he seems to be coming along.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
My thoughts exactly, Rex. Even though they were down 21-0, I felt they still should have, maybe could have won the game.

I've been following how Shavodrick Beaver, the QB Rodriguez recruited for next year. 4 star out of Texas. Looks made for this offense.

I wish Threet was a tad quicker, but he seems to be coming along.

I think Tate Forcier, another QB recruit from CA will be even better. The future looks good, just can't get here quickly enough.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
I think Tate Forcier, another QB recruit from CA will be even better. The future looks good, just can't get here quickly enough.

Yup. We'll take our lumps. I'm prepared for it.

Isn't Forcier more of a pocket type guy? Or does he play in the spread in HS?

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
Yup. We'll take our lumps. I'm prepared for it.

Isn't Forcier more of a pocket type guy? Or does he play in the spread in HS?

Forcier is definitely more of a passer, but he is a legit dual-threat QB. He is the brother of Jason Forcier who transferred from Michigan to Stanford before last year.