Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Yeah, but both teams were arguably two of the best in the past 25 years. USC IMHO would have beaten any other team this decade. Texas as well except for maybe the 2000 Miami team. We were all spoiled that year because there were so many great football teams like USC, Texas, and OSU(in my opinion, the only OSU team that was actually good).

I dont think either of those teams could have beaten the 2001 Miami team. That defense was loaded with NFL players and so was the offense.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Give me 1995 Nebraska, and you can take whoever you want.

They are definitely the most dominant, but I think 2001 Miami would have gave them problems. Regardless, those are are the two best teams in recent memory IMO. I don't think any of the USC teams recently could have stayed with either of those squads. I'd love to have seen 1995 Nebraska play 2001 Miami, it's a shame stuff like that isn't possible.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
The problem with that concept is their previous recruiting classes were all very good too, with plenty of highly rated players who don't seem to be cutting it now. Who's to say these new "phenoms" (as a group) will fare any better??

Actually, the classes that are most of the upperclassmen now werent even top 10 classes. Two #12's and a #15 were what are playing now. Boone and Beanie were highly rated, the rest were not. Little Animal was a 2 star LB. The classes now are pushing for a #1 ranking with top talent from all over the country.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I think college football has been down since the USC/Texas title game. I think both those teams would have beaten the past two national champions.

Actually OSU gave Texas more trouble than USC did that year. OSU would have won the game if it wasnt for a dropped TD by Hamby.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
Actually OSU gave Texas more trouble than USC did that year. OSU would have won the game if it wasnt for a dropped TD by Hamby.

Texas took the lead with 8 seconds left on a 4th down conversion so no, you're wrong.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
Texas took the lead with 8 seconds left on a 4th down conversion so no, you're wrong.

I still think they gave them more trouble or at least equal. VY didnt have to pull out that crazy TD run, but had to convert to keep OSU's defense on the field, which wouldnt have been neccesary if Hamby would have caught the damn TD. They kept them to their lowest point total all season and they only won by 3. Both games were very good. Frankly keeping Troy Smith out of the game was really a deciding factor.

Edited by RockRaines

So its a pretty big debate on the Bucknuts forums right now and I figured I'd bring it over here to gauge the opinions on Soxtalk.

Basically alot of posters are making a big deal out of some fans booing Todd Boekman when he went in for a few plays for Pryor against Troy. They are talking about how no teams boo players and how classless it is to boo such a hard working player. Outlawing booing? Seems kinda weird to me. Booing is a huge part of sports and is actually a very toned down response to bad play from years ago where things were a bit more extreme. Your guys thoughts on booing players in college football?

I am not a fan of booing college kids unless there is a clear lack of effort involved. Pro players make millions and booing is part of the game, but I just am not a fan of booing 18 to 22 year olds in college because they aren't playing well. The fans have the right to boo, they buy the tickets, but I just don't agree with booing kids on your own college team at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I wasnt a fan of booing college kids but the Kyle Wright era at Miami changed my views. He was a lazy, bad teammate and deserved it. Our other QB Freeman sucked even more but you could tell he always gave it all and tried his best but he just sucked. So I didnt think he deserved it.

So I think if a player is lazy, no trying, etc then yes, boo the kid. But if he is doing everything the right way but just isnt good enough then you shouldnt boo him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
So its a pretty big debate on the Bucknuts forums right now and I figured I'd bring it over here to gauge the opinions on Soxtalk.

Basically alot of posters are making a big deal out of some fans booing Todd Boekman when he went in for a few plays for Pryor against Troy. They are talking about how no teams boo players and how classless it is to boo such a hard working player. Outlawing booing? Seems kinda weird to me. Booing is a huge part of sports and is actually a very toned down response to bad play from years ago where things were a bit more extreme. Your guys thoughts on booing players in college football?

You can't outlaw booing but booing college athletes who are playing hard is pathetic. Especially is you single out a player. The fact that a player isn't "good enough" at the college level is never an excuse to a boo a player IMO. These guys aren't getting paid and I think fans come off horribly when they boo an athlete who is clearly giving his all.

I'm all about yelling at the TV and cussing bad plays, etc. but I have never been a fan of booing and you will never see me do so at a game. I may show disappointment, but I think booing is simply classless at any level. I know many here won't agree with me, but I can live with that.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Can't be worse than Dave Clawson at Tennessee... This guy is a f***ing joke. 2 pass plays back-to-back on 3rd and 4th down from the 1 yard line???? Seriously!? Just QB sneak it and you've got 7 points. Instead, they tried to get cute and f***ing pass the ball. That's not Tennessee football, and Fulmer and Clawson need to get fired ASAP. The Tennessee defense is very good however. Only gave up 122 total yards of offense to Tim Tebow, which has to be his lowest output since he became the starter. It's just so frustrating seeing the defense play so well, but the offense is completely inept and worthless. So are the Special Teams units for that matter.

I want Will Muschamp as the new Head Coach at Tennessee. Unfortunately, they're all about keeping it in house and bringing in "good 'ol boys" so we'll probably hire some undeserving former assistant like Kippy Brown or some bulls***...

i know man it is the same bs that is getting us beat again and again,and enough is a damn 'nuff. :angry: