Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
Can't be worse than Dave Clawson at Tennessee... This guy is a f***ing joke. 2 pass plays back-to-back on 3rd and 4th down from the 1 yard line???? Seriously!? Just QB sneak it and you've got 7 points. Instead, they tried to get cute and f***ing pass the ball. That's not Tennessee football, and Fulmer and Clawson need to get fired ASAP. The Tennessee defense is very good however. Only gave up 122 total yards of offense to Tim Tebow, which has to be his lowest output since he became the starter. It's just so frustrating seeing the defense play so well, but the offense is completely inept and worthless. So are the Special Teams units for that matter.

I want Will Muschamp as the new Head Coach at Tennessee. Unfortunately, they're all about keeping it in house and bringing in "good 'ol boys" so we'll probably hire some undeserving former assistant like Kippy Brown or some bulls***...

I somehow missed your post until now. I'll give you some of the John Shoop play selection.

He puts Greg Little as the only player in the backfield and puts TJ Yates with his Dan Marino speed outside. You put a RB in the backfield that can't throw, and a QB that's not a threat as a receiver? What happened? Tackled in the backfield. Did he learn his lesson? Nope, tried the same stupid play again later in the game with the same result. Defense just abandoned the WR's each time and put 10 in the box, suprise suprise.

Then, it's his Chicago Bears special. 1st and 10? HB Draw. 2nd and 9? HB Draw. 3rd and 8? Pass. Rinse and repeat.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm all about yelling at the TV and cussing bad plays, etc. but I have never been a fan of booing and you will never see me do so at a game. I may show disappointment, but I think booing is simply classless at any level. I know many here won't agree with me, but I can live with that.

I just dont think booing is that big of a deal at all. Shoot, people boo the idiots who do the dugout dance thing at the Cell in between innings, halftime shooters at blackhawks games, and I've even heard the kid hitting the tee-ball booed at Sox games. I just dont think booing is that harmful or big of deal at all.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
I somehow missed your post until now. I'll give you some of the John Shoop play selection.

He puts Greg Little as the only player in the backfield and puts TJ Yates with his Dan Marino speed outside. You put a RB in the backfield that can't throw, and a QB that's not a threat as a receiver? What happened? Tackled in the backfield. Did he learn his lesson? Nope, tried the same stupid play again later in the game with the same result. Defense just abandoned the WR's each time and put 10 in the box, suprise suprise.

Then, it's his Chicago Bears special. 1st and 10? HB Draw. 2nd and 9? HB Draw. 3rd and 8? Pass. Rinse and repeat.

Those were some of the worst years of being a Bears fan. Sometimes I forget how bad his play calling was... Either way, both coordinators are terrible. Oh, and your "Dan Marino speed" comment made me laugh. Good stuff

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm all about yelling at the TV and cussing bad plays, etc. but I have never been a fan of booing and you will never see me do so at a game. I may show disappointment, but I think booing is simply classless at any level. I know many here won't agree with me, but I can live with that.
I totally agree and I think it is weak and makes the fans look way worse them whoever they are booing. A cheap shot or a straight out lazy effort is the only exceptions I can see.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)

It worked pretty well for the Dolphins against the Pats this weekend though. I'm no fan of Shoop, but a lot of teams are going to some form of the "wild hog" to get better numbers in the "box" for the running game, with some nice results.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
It worked pretty well for the Dolphins against the Pats this weekend though. I'm no fan of Shoop, but a lot of teams are going to some form of the "wild hog" to get better numbers in the "box" for the running game, with some nice results.

Well, Ronnie Brown and Darren McFadden actually threw the ball out of the set, which is the point. Shoop just keeps using run plays out of the set.

We get to see Paulus and Sexton splitting reps against Miami this week, that should be "fun".

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Well, Ronnie Brown and Darren McFadden actually threw the ball out of the set, which is the point. Shoop just keeps using run plays out of the set.

Exactly. That's what Clawson does at UT too. We line up Gerald Jones (WR) as the QB, but we've never thrown a pass out of the formation, so teams just bring everyone up and stuff it. Even when we were losing to Florida and it seemed like the perfect time to finally pass it out of that formation, we just kept running and getting no gain.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Question, is this anywhere close to Manhattan which would have a College Football game (and a decent one at that)?

I am thinking of going out to Philly and possibly seeing Penn State in November though.

Unfortunately the NY area teams like Rutgers and Syracuse really blow this year. But you might be able to see a game like UConn at Rutgers etc which is on 10/18.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
Oregon State is getting 26 tomorrow. I'll still take USC...

Be careful. USC was beaten their last trip to Corvallis in 2006 33-31, and the trip before that in 2004 saw USC need to rally for two touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win 28-20. I understand history is not the be all, end all, but I would avoid a 26 point favorite on the road at a place where they've had some trouble recently.

As for DBAHO, yeah go check out a UConn home game. They are a solid, rising program and have a 4-0 record so far this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

bwha ha ha ha ha ha ha

"USC is by far the greatest team in college football" - every college football analyst.

OOPS!

Still a half to go, but does any serious national title contender have such a terrible half against a not so good team (a team that was losing 28-0 after one half to Penn St?)

And when do the talks of Pete Carroll = overrated start? With 25 future nfl players on his roster year after year, yet he loses to Oregon St two years ago, Stanford last year, Oregon St again this year??

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Be careful. USC was beaten their last trip to Corvallis in 2006 33-31, and the trip before that in 2004 saw USC need to rally for two touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win 28-20. I understand history is not the be all, end all, but I would avoid a 26 point favorite on the road at a place where they've had some trouble recently.

Indeed, even a dummie like me knew that was a bad bet. Now, the question is whether Oregon State can hang on for the win.