Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
I'll give you Beanie, Pryor, AND Eddie George if you want, and USC will still man-handle OSU, whether it's in LA, Columbus, or Cuba.

You might want to worry about your own conference at this point.

And maybe we wouldnt win, but we would still like another shot with our best two players starting.

Edited by RockRaines

Great article on the ridiculousness of the hype surrounding USC. I ask again, when does Carroll get questioned for losing so many bad games with all that talent?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=2433

I equate USC to Kansas in basketball - tons of talent year after year, tons of historically good but not great teams, and lots and lots of hype because of the fan base.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
And maybe we wouldnt win, but we would still like another shot with our best two players starting.

Pryor is the second best player on that team? Really? I think once he has to pass against decent teams, his numbers will be pedestrian. I'm not saying he can't be great, but he isn't yet. If he's the 2nd best player that team has, then that's why Ohio State isn't that good this year.

Also, for the USC/Kansas basketball comparison...USC has been a top 5 postseason team almost every year lately and they are either in the title game or winning their New Year's bowl game. Kansas has a national title and a runner-up finish in recent years, but they haven't been anywhere near as consistent as USC football.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Pryor is the second best player on that team? Really? I think once he has to pass against decent teams, his numbers will be pedestrian. I'm not saying he can't be great, but he isn't yet. If he's the 2nd best player that team has, then that's why Ohio State isn't that good this year.

Also, for the USC/Kansas basketball comparison...USC has been a top 5 postseason team almost every year lately and they are either in the title game or winning their New Year's bowl game. Kansas has a national title and a runner-up finish in recent years, but they haven't been anywhere near as consistent as USC football.

They're top 5 postseason because they play in one of the worst major conferences and are essentially assured a BCS title bid every year (which is a home game no less).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)

Yes. He is the second most talented player on the OSU team. And I dont know why that makes them bad, he was head and shoulders the most talented high school team in the nation last year. And both Beanie and Pryor were AA game mvp's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Yes. He is the second most talented player on the OSU team. And I dont know why that makes them bad, he was head and shoulders the most talented high school team in the nation last year. And both Beanie and Pryor were AA game mvp's.

There is a massive difference between talent and current ability. I'm not denying he has talent.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)

Agreed. A better comparison would be USC to the UNC bball program.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
There is a massive difference between talent and current ability. I'm not denying he has talent.

Yeah, if Pryor is the 2nd best player on OSU, OSU isn't a very good football team.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Yeah, if Pryor is the 2nd best player on OSU, OSU isn't a very good football team.

Better than when Boekman was behind center. And if you have watched any OSU games including USC, you will have noticed that when Beanie isnt on the field, the next most impressive Buckeye has been Pryor.

Edited by RockRaines

So I was having a discussion with a Cubs fan last night (during their beat down) about OSU v Michigan. I know some of this wont resonate with people who hate OSU like Shadows or even some UM fans on this board, so I understand you guys may not agree.

Heres what our conversation was based on: OSU v Michigan is a very heated, old, and really socioeconomic rivalry. OSU fans historically were the poor Ohio farmers while the UM fans were the wealthy Michigan folks whose economic status and quality of education really benefitted greatly from the automobile industry. This stigma has carried over for many years into what the rivalry is now. And Ill lay it out a bit and you can see where we got some of our conversation points.

UM stereotypes etc:

-Upper class-well off

-Quiter crowd, not quite nuts into games

-Doesnt care as much about OSU as OSu fans care about what Michigan does

-better educated, better background-they look down on OSU fans

-more reserved, classier at games

-more popular, older richer history

OSU

-Crazy hillbillies

-Care most about beating UM than about winning other games

-Cheer more for UM losses than anything

-Lower class, poor, worse education

-annoying fans and players

-Not as rich of a history

So our conversation turned to really White Sox vs Cubs. There are alot of similarities between the Sox and OSU in the rivalry vs UM and the Cubs. And my friend being a Cubs/UM fan agreed with me that alot of the attitudes are the same between the two fanbases. I agree in that I have dealt with both Cubs fans assuming im a poor ghetto hillbilly, to UM fans assuming im a hillbilly farmer idiot. I also agreed that in both cases I assume that UM fans and Cubs fans arent really as into their teams nor the actual sport than I am. It came down to OSU playing the White Sox role, while UM really has been playing the Cubs role. It was really an interesting conversation and showed how socioeconomic stereotypes and geographics really bleed their way into sports and rivalries. I thought I would share that conversation with folks on this board as Im sure there are other rivalries in college football that fall into the same type of slots just like Cubs v White Sox.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
I really hope the whitesox arent related to Ohio State at all, if so Im rooting for the wrong team :lolhitting

Unfortunately we are. Both the White Sox and Buckeye players make good money doing what they are doing.

Well first off, one stereotype that is true is the noise level in Ann Arbor. With as quiet as Michigan Stadium is, it should be called "The Big Mouse" in my opinion (no idea why I find that nickname funny, but oh well).

Also, the Wisconsin marching band is in trouble yet again. I think Wisconsin is the only school in America whose band has more off the field troubles than it's players. The band was suspended for tonight's big home game vs. Ohio State.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/04/...d-Suspended.php

MADISON, Wisconsin: The University of Wisconsin marching band has been suspended indefinitely while allegations of alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct are investigated.

The band was not allowed to play Saturday during a U.S. college football game between the No. 18 Badgers and No. 14 Ohio State at Camp Randall Stadium.

The university made the announcement at a news conference Friday, saying the behavior is consistent with conduct that put the band on probation in 2006.

Mike Leckrone, band director since 1969, said he made the decision and it was the first time in his tenure the entire band has ever been suspended and prevented from playing at a game.

It's the latest in a series of high profile problems for the band.

In 2000 the university established a written code of conduct for the band.

In February 2007 the marching band's assistant director Michael Lorenz resigned after an internal report criticized his treatment of a female colleague during a rowdy band trip to Michigan in 2006.

Reports of band members' hazing, alcohol use and inappropriate sexual behavior prompted the university to put the band on probation after the trip.

Then-Chancellor John Wiley threatened band members with losing performance and travel privileges.

Wiley, in an October 2006 letter to Leckrone, called band members' behavior "boorish to patently dangerous and unlawful."

At that time, seminude band members were alleged to have danced suggestively and there were reports of women being forced to kiss other women to be allowed to enter bathrooms on a bus.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Well first off, one stereotype that is true is the noise level in Ann Arbor. With as quiet as Michigan Stadium is, it should be called "The Big Mouse" in my opinion (no idea why I find that nickname funny, but oh well).

Also, the Wisconsin marching band is in trouble yet again. I think Wisconsin is the only school in America whose band has more off the field troubles than it's players. The band was suspended for tonight's big home game vs. Ohio State.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/04/...d-Suspended.php

Talk about trying to perpetuate the label of band geek. Let the geeks drink and screw, I say!!