Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIU loses 13-9 at Tennessee. This team is very frusterating, it could easily be argued they outplayed all 5 of their opponents so far, and they are 2-3 with 2 blowout wins and 3 close losses. The Huskies were once again without their starting QB tonight and the backup was injured in the 2nd quarter to never return, but the Huskies still could have certainly won this game had they taken advantage of their opportunites. If Harnish (our starter) had played, we probably win anyways, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves because we could have won anyways had we done what we should have. Coach Kill has us heading in the right direction and we'll be a very good program in the near future, but it sucks right now.

I am surprised/impressed that the Buckeyes won at Camp Randall. I still think they are out of the national championship hunt (although whether or not that is fair could certainly be debated), but they are clearly in the thick of the BCS hunt along with Penn State right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Iowa State is so close to 5-0 its not even funny. 3 losses by 17 points combined. We had the fat man on the ropes today.

If nothing else, we're getting there.

Feel your pain man, our 3 losses are by 11 points combined and we're close to being 5-0 with 4 of the 5 games having been on the road. We're getting close here at NIU too though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
NIU loses 13-9 at Tennessee. This team is very frusterating, it could easily be argued they outplayed all 5 of their opponents so far, and they are 2-3 with 2 blowout wins and 3 close losses. The Huskies were once again without their starting QB tonight and the backup was injured in the 2nd quarter to never return, but the Huskies still could have certainly won this game had they taken advantage of their opportunites. If Harnish (our starter) had played, we probably win anyways, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves because we could have won anyways had we done what we should have. Coach Kill has us heading in the right direction and we'll be a very good program in the near future, but it sucks right now.

You honestly need to relax. Despite Tennessee being awful this year, NIU (a medicore team) went there, an SEC school at night, and almost pulled one out. If I were you, I'd be proud as hell of the Huskies.

Since you're a big fan, how's Larry English doing this year? With the Bears lack of pass rush from their DEs this year, I'd love to have him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Side note: My friend played for NIU and he was the captain of the defense (I believe 2005 or 2006 was his last year)- his name was Ray Smith and he was a safety.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
You honestly need to relax. Despite Tennessee being awful this year, NIU (a medicore team) went there, an SEC school at night, and almost pulled one out. If I were you, I'd be proud as hell of the Huskies.

Since you're a big fan, how's Larry English doing this year? With the Bears lack of pass rush from their DEs this year, I'd love to have him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Side note: My friend played for NIU and he was the captain of the defense (I believe 2005 or 2006 was his last year)- his name was Ray Smith and he was a safety.

Ha I am perfectly relaxed, trust me my posts ALWAYS make me look more angry than I am. I am proud of the, they gave Tennessee a great game on the road with a half game of 2nd string quarterback and a half game of 3rd string quarterback. They play hard, it's just frusterating to see your team lose a lot of close games.

As for English, he had 2 and a half sacks and a forced fumble tonight. He's right on pace for a typical Larry English season, although I have NO IDEA where he'll be drafted to be honest with you.

And yes, I remember Ray Smith. He was a very solid safety who hit hard. Wore #48 I believe, and he is from NW Indiana right? We had quite a few good players from NW Indiana in those days and he was one of them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Ha I am perfectly relaxed, trust me my posts ALWAYS make me look more angry than I am. I am proud of the, they gave Tennessee a great game on the road with a half game of 2nd string quarterback and a half game of 3rd string quarterback. They play hard, it's just frusterating to see your team lose a lot of close games.

As for English, he had 2 and a half sacks and a forced fumble tonight. He's right on pace for a typical Larry English season, although I have NO IDEA where he'll be drafted to be honest with you.

And yes, I remember Ray Smith. He was a very solid safety who hit hard. Wore #48 I believe, and he is from NW Indiana right? We had quite a few good players from NW Indiana in those days and he was one of them.

True.

Kiper says middle-3rd to early-4th.

Yes, he was from St. John/Schererville/Dyer. Yes, 48. Awesome kid. Went with his parents to Central Florida where he picked one off for a TD. Went to Bowling Green when they were ranked 11th or something, and they lost, which was tough. Also went to the Toledo game in DeKalb his senior year which decided either the Motor City Bowl or some other crappy one and they lost, so that was bad, too.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
True.

Kiper says middle-3rd to early-4th.

Yes, he was from St. John/Schererville/Dyer. Yes, 48. Awesome kid. Went with his parents to Central Florida where he picked one off for a TD. Went to Bowling Green when they were ranked 11th or something, and they lost, which was tough. Also went to the Toledo game in DeKalb his senior year which decided either the Motor City Bowl or some other crappy one and they lost, so that was bad, too.

Yeah Kiper's English guess sounds about right. As for Ray, yeah his junior year was 2003, the magical 10-2 season where NIU beat Maryland, Iowa State, and won at Alabama, but were somehow effed out of a bowl and it sounds like his senior year was 2004. I wasn't at NIU yet (high school days) but I followed the team even then, so I remember it. The 2003 teams only 2 losses were at Bowling Green and Toledo, and I believe BG and the Rockets were ranked at the time of the games (the MAC West was just unreal that year).

As for 2004, I was at the Toledo game. Had NIU won, they would have made the MAC Title game and they built I believe a 17-3 lead before losing 31-17. That game is infamous because Garrett Wolfe missed it to to an altercation at a bar, and the offense just couldn't move without him around. The UCF game was the game where NIU needed a field goal as time ran out to win, remember that too. NIU went on and won the now defunct Silicon Valley Bowl that year over DeMarcus Ware and the Troy Trojans. Can't remember NIU's record that season, but I do remember basically every home game that year sold out.

Yeah, I remember the Wolfe incident. Was so pumped for the game until I got there and heard about it. Ray was good friends with him but that really pissed him off. Ray was also good friends with Turner the Burner and still talks to him to this day. Great guy, too.

BTW- college gameday was in BG that game, too.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
That Illini offense is so much fun to watch,I dont know what defense in the Big Ten that is going to be able to stop it this year.What team is considered to have the best D in the Big Ten right now?Ohio State?

Probably the Buckeyes. Our biggest weakness is in the interior of the D-line which Juice exploited the s*** out of last season. We will most likely lock Jenkins on Benn and take our chances stopping the running game. Of course our offense is a bit better than Michigans though.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 02:09 AM)
Kerry Maier and Reesing really good together.

Chase Daniel and Maclin, sick sick sick together.

Why did we just totally dominate Kansas in the first half yesterday? They looked like s***.