Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
I really hope Penn State loses sometime. I don't want to see another big ten team in the championship game.

Well, if PSU loses to MSU, then sparty gets a BCS birth. PSU isnt all that good, OSU isnt great and they should have beaten PSU. I think the BCS title game HAS to include a Big 12 team, and then either the Pac-10 or SEC champ.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
It should be an SEC and a Big 12 team. I wouldn't even have a problem with two Big 12 teams. The Pac 10 freaking blows.

USC when they play well is probably one of the top teams in the country, problem is, they dont always play that way. I would say Oklahoma, Texas, and TT are all top 5 teams and wouldnt be upset with any one of them in the BCS title game.

Fulmer leaving is weird for Tennessee fans. On one hand, I firmly believe a change needed to be made and I think it's a great opportunity for us to snag a great coach that is a little more up-to-date with the times. On the other hand, it was sad watching his press conference and re-living all the great things he did for the program. UT was 45-5 in a 4 year stretch in the '90s. Doesn't get much better than that. I can't imagine going from your freshman year of college to your senior year, and only seeing your team lose 5 times. I've seen us lose 5 times this year, lol...

I want Will Muschamp of the realistic choices. My dream choice would be Pete Carroll, but that's not gonna happen. Not sure why he would ever leave Southern Cal where USC football is the top dog in a city with no pro team. Though, UT is said to be planning on making him an offer that would make him the highest paid coach in college football - over $6M/yr. After that, they'll go after head coaches at smaller schools (Brian Kelly/Mike Leach) or coordinators like Muschamp.

Edited by dasox24

I just want to know why Tennessee football thought back to back 10 win seasons in 06 and 07 put him on the hot seat in the first place. It's Tennessee and they play in the SEC. They were in the SEC title game last year. The thing I keep hearing is that they are only 14-12 in his last 26 SEC games. Why is that firable? It's usually (though, not this year) the deepest conference in the country. I can see some logic to it, but I think it's rather absurd for Tennessee to think they are better than this guy.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
I just want to know why Tennessee football thought back to back 10 win seasons in 06 and 07 put him on the hot seat in the first place. It's Tennessee and they play in the SEC. They were in the SEC title game last year. The thing I keep hearing is that they are only 14-12 in his last 26 SEC games. Why is that firable? It's usually (though, not this year) the deepest conference in the country. I can see some logic to it, but I think it's rather absurd for Tennessee to think they are better than this guy.

Yeah, it's the problem with being so spoiled with wins for so long. Going 5-6 three years ago and then this season means we're probably going to end up with 2 losing seasons out of the last 4. It has been a downhill fall since about 2001. The main problem isn't the overall record, but the record against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama the last few seasons. We've beaten Georgia 2 out of the last 3 years, but other than that, Bama and especially Florida have dominated us. And when you're competing for an SEC championship every year, losing to Florida really hurts those chances unless Florida gets upset, which is what happened last year.

Not sure if this will be a good thing or not, but I can only hope it is. We have a top 10 recruiting class, and I hope we can keep some of that, but there will definitely be attrition, which will hurt in a couple years. UT needs a great hire or else we'll go through a period like Alabama did from about 2000 to 2007...

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:12 AM)
A lot of talk in Tampa is that Tennessee wants to go after Gruden. Are you hearing any of that?

I dont think the Bucs would really stop Gruden if he wanted to bolt.

Oh absolutely. There's ton of talk around here that we'll go after Gruden. His wife went to UT and all her family is in the area, and he was a grad assistant here. Not sure he would leave the pro game since that is really all he knows, but if there was a school he would go to, I think UT would be the one.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Two head coaches stepped down today, Phil Fullmer at Tennessee and Tom Amstutz at Toledo. I think Fullmer needed to go, but Amstutz suprises me. The Rockets have been one of the top MAC programs the last few years.

Toledo has been terrible the last few seasons, thats why he had to go.

Ball State just put an absolute beating on Northern. Wow, that was something. I was pumped to watch my guy Larry English, too, but it got so bad I was forced to watch the freaking Bulls...

Anyone smell an upset from the Hawkeyes in Iowa City on Saturday vs Penn State? Snowy and windy means Clark won't be able to work his magic for Penn State, and all Iowa wants to do is run the ball anyways...

That was just inexcuseable and pathetic. Ball State is a superior team to NIU, but we just didn't show up and let ourselves get pantsed on national television. We have to win out now to have a chance at a bowl after that performance, even if we go 2-1 the last 3 and get to 7-5, I doubt a bowl would take us after seeing that. They should be ashamed of themselves, it's one thing to lose, it's another to not try.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Rumor has it that several Michigan players walked out on practice and on the team yesterday following RR's meeting.

Rumors are funny that way. That's not even close to true.

That would likely be an embellishment based on this...... Rodriguez had a meeting with the team on either Sunday night or Monday. He told them despite not being bowl eligible their season was not over. he told the seniors it was not time to coast and that underclassmen would be evaluated every day, every practice and what they do now will have an effect on their status for next year (basically everyone is being evaluated now just like they would be in bowl practices). He told the players if they weren't up for this and weren't ready to put forth the same kind of effort every day, then to just not show up on Tuesday. Basically it was a you're either with us or you're not speech.

Crazy thing......... There has not been one report of anyone not showing up Tuesday. Aside from some injuries, reports from practice have been very positive.

Got anymore good ones????

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 06:10 AM)
Rumors are funny that way. That's not even close to true.

That would likely be an embellishment based on this...... Rodriguez had a meeting with the team on either Sunday night or Monday. He told them despite not being bowl eligible their season was not over. he told the seniors it was not time to coast and that underclassmen would be evaluated every day, every practice and what they do now will have an effect on their status for next year (basically everyone is being evaluated now just like they would be in bowl practices). He told the players if they weren't up for this and weren't ready to put forth the same kind of effort every day, then to just not show up on Tuesday. Basically it was a you're either with us or you're not speech.

Crazy thing......... There has not been one report of anyone not showing up Tuesday. Aside from some injuries, reports from practice have been very positive.

Got anymore good ones????

You should submit a complaint to the Wolverine boards about their rumors and how you think they are stupid.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
Anyone smell an upset from the Hawkeyes in Iowa City on Saturday vs Penn State? Snowy and windy means Clark won't be able to work his magic for Penn State, and all Iowa wants to do is run the ball anyways...

Penn St. averages more rushing YDS/G and defensively is slightly stronger than Iowa against the run.

So 2 potential coaching candidates in Knoxville today/this weekend... Lane Kiffin and Jon Gruden.

The Gruden visit has been planned awhile, though, so I wouldn't read too much into it. His wife is a former cheerleader and there's a big cheerleader reunion for Homecoming this weekend. However, doesn't hurt to have him up here.

Kiffin supposedly playing golf with some big time alumni today... though you know how those rumors go. Who knows if it's true...