Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
First off, their QB and top 2 RBs were out. Second, look at their schedule, they haven't done a lot to brag about and aren't a top 25 team. It's why I bet my entire centsports bankroll on Ohio State lol. It says enough about you to be talking s*** on Northwestern as an Ohio State fan though.

First off, only Sutton wasnt available, both QB's were ready.

And secondly, what does it say about me exactly? I said pretty much the same thing you said in shorter more direct terms. They havent played anyone, they arent the same team as OSU even though they have identical records and they are welcome for that reality check. You'll know when im actually "talking s***" and it wont be to Northwestern.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
They'll put up 7 and 8 win seasons like this year is going to be at current pace, but they'll never get back to where they were earlier in the decade without having uninhibited trips to the Illinois talent bank like they did in those days.

When they were winning big, their recruiting classes were always ranked in the bottom half of the Big Ten. When they did get a stud recruiting class including a ton of supposed 4 and 5 star players from Illinois, most of those guys turned out to be busts. From their most heralded class since Ferentz took over, I believe less than half of them are actually still Hawkeyes, and an even smaller percentage are contributing. I know one thing, if I was an OL and wanted to play in the NFL, Ferentz would be the guy I want to play for.

They have had a nice pipeline in FL. When Hayden Fry was there, NJ and Texas. Chuck Long who was the closest runner up in Heisman history when he lost to Bo Jackson was from Wheaton. But the only other school that offered him a scholarship was NIU.

They have 4 losses this year. And the biggest drubbing they took was by 5 points. That's with a first year starter at QB. I think their success next season depends on Greene sticking around.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
When they were winning big, their recruiting classes were always ranked in the bottom half of the Big Ten. When they did get a stud recruiting class including a ton of supposed 4 and 5 star players from Illinois, most of those guys turned out to be busts. From their most heralded class since Ferentz took over, I believe less than half of them are actually still Hawkeyes, and an even smaller percentage are contributing. I know one thing, if I was an OL and wanted to play in the NFL, Ferentz would be the guy I want to play for.

I guess I never noticed this, but I went back and checked the recruiting classes. He seems to be one of those guys who gets the buy in from players that arent as heralded or talented. In the Big Ten there are basically a small portion of top recruiters and the rest of the teams have to be well coached and very organized, and thats were Ferentz seems to flourish.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
was that your first college football game?

No I saw Yale play Columbia the week before, but that wasn't a very good standard nor a big crowd.

So I guess Rutgers was my first "real" college football experience.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
No I saw Yale play Columbia the week before, but that wasn't a very good standard nor a big crowd.

So I guess Rutgers was my first "real" college football experience.

AH ok. Soeme day you will have to make it to one of the really big football tailgates like LSU, Ol Miss, Georgia, OSU, Texas, PSU, Wisco etc, they are truly out of control if you havent been to one before. Rutgers is good and all but its situated in probably one of the top 5 crappiest cities in America and isnt really what you'd call a football crazy university.

I remember my first real big school tailgate experience and wondering how that many fans were able to purchase and customize large school buses. And im talking in the 100's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
AH ok. Soeme day you will have to make it to one of the really big football tailgates like LSU, Ol Miss, Georgia, OSU, Texas, PSU, Wisco etc, they are truly out of control if you havent been to one before. Rutgers is good and all but its situated in probably one of the top 5 crappiest cities in America and isnt really what you'd call a football crazy university.

I remember my first real big school tailgate experience and wondering how that many fans were able to purchase and customize large school buses. And im talking in the 100's.

I am going to Philadelphia this weekend to see the Kings of Leon, and was kind of hoping to see a Penn State game, until I looked at where the campus actually was.

So I am going to see Penn vs. Harvard instead.

I am planning on trying to get back for the last Rutgers game of the season though (although you're right about the city).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
First off, only Sutton wasnt available, both QB's were ready.

And secondly, what does it say about me exactly? I said pretty much the same thing you said in shorter more direct terms. They havent played anyone, they arent the same team as OSU even though they have identical records and they are welcome for that reality check. You'll know when im actually "talking s***" and it wont be to Northwestern.

Bacher was 'available' but didn't play. Conteh, the 2nd RB, missed the game as well. Conteh is a solid back and has made starts throughout his career. The starting RB for the game was a guy with 4 career carries. It's just convenient for Ohio State to complain about not having Beanie against USC, but Northwestern can't be missing their starting QB, starting RB and the RB's capable replacement. Ohio State isn't 35 points better than Northwestern.

And DBAH0 stop wasting your time at Ivy League games. What the heck?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Bacher was 'available' but didn't play. Conteh, the 2nd RB, missed the game as well. Conteh is a solid back and has made starts throughout his career. The starting RB for the game was a guy with 4 career carries. It's just convenient for Ohio State to complain about not having Beanie against USC, but Northwestern can't be missing their starting QB, starting RB and the RB's capable replacement. Ohio State isn't 35 points better than Northwestern.

And DBAH0 stop wasting your time at Ivy League games. What the heck?

Ohio state isnt 35 points better than Northwestern, you are right, they should have beaten them by much more. In fact this was one of the more respectable losses of the last 28 of 29 OSU has beaten NW. Take off your hater glasses.

Not sure what USC vs OSU has to do with it at all, the buckeyes could have had Archie Griffin behind the QB and still get whomped.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Ohio state isnt 35 points better than Northwestern, you are right, they should have beaten them by much more. In fact this was one of the more respectable losses of the last 28 of 29 OSU has beaten NW. Take off your hater glasses.

Not sure what USC vs OSU has to do with it at all, the buckeyes could have had Archie Griffin behind the QB and still get whomped.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. Ill try not to disagree with you ever again, let alone actualy say some negative about my own team. Fantastic admin behavior BTW.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)

Tailgating and drinking is half the experience - i.e. the one thing Iowa State apparently doesn't suck at.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. Ill try not to disagree with you ever again, let alone actualy say some negative about my own team. Fantastic admin behavior BTW.

I didn't disagree with you. I just said Northwestern wasn't healthy and you went on to brag about how Ohio State has won just about every meeting between the two.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

I may be drunk as hell right now, This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Well I'm officially a Rutgers Scarlett Knights fan now.

Went on Saturday, and had a great tine, the atmosphere at the college games was just incredible.

Can't beat the atmosphere of college football. Need to make sure you get to a game at one of the grand stadiums of the land someday (Penn State, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, etc). If you were blown away at Rutgers, you'll be, well more than blown away at those places.

I don't know how much longer you are in the northeast, but you should try and check out a UConn home basketball game too or something.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Ball State continues it's run at perfection tonight on the deuce. Not a bad football season to this point for me my Tarheels are playing well, and my alma mater is #14 with a bullet. Who would have guessed it at the start of the year. FEAR THE CARDINAL!!!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

I hate WRs and Phi Beta Sigma. Both are complete idiots. Taiwan Easterling gets sucker punched because one of the gang, I mean, frat member's girl was flirting with him. Some of his teammates defend him, and the rest of the Sigmas get involved. I'm disgusted by both parties, and I have friends that are on both sides. The 5 WRs are all suspended for the BC game even though no arrests have been made. There was rumor that Surrency threw a chair, but it was one of the Sigmas.

Oh well, at least Greg Carr and Preston Parker weren't involved. I hate losing Easterling for a game, but Bert Reed and Corey Surrency should be kicked off this team. Surrency said he was dedicating this season to his deceased mother. Well, I guess he is really trying because he's already been suspended twice.

Bah, such a good season for us and I'm just embarrassed. At least it's only one position, and 2 of them will likely be off the team by next year.

Too bad they can't just be normal students because this never would have even been more than a blurb in the local paper.

/rant

Stupid.

At least for once Bobby did the right thing though and suspended guys before anything official came out.

Oh, and good job Miami. Hopefully UNC loses for you.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
I hate WRs and Phi Beta Sigma. Both are complete idiots. Taiwan Easterling gets sucker punched because one of the gang, I mean, frat member's girl was flirting with him. Some of his teammates defend him, and the rest of the Sigmas get involved. I'm disgusted by both parties, and I have friends that are on both sides. The 5 WRs are all suspended for the BC game even though no arrests have been made. There was rumor that Surrency threw a chair, but it was one of the Sigmas.

Oh well, at least Greg Carr and Preston Parker weren't involved. I hate losing Easterling for a game, but Bert Reed and Corey Surrency should be kicked off this team. Surrency said he was dedicating this season to his deceased mother. Well, I guess he is really trying because he's already been suspended twice.

Bah, such a good season for us and I'm just embarrassed. At least it's only one position, and 2 of them will likely be off the team by next year.

Too bad they can't just be normal students because this never would have even been more than a blurb in the local paper.

/rant

Stupid.

At least for once Bobby did the right thing though and suspended guys before anything official came out.

Oh, and good job Miami. Hopefully UNC loses for you.

They shouldn't have been wasting their time at a frat party in the first place

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
They shouldn't have been wasting their time at a frat party in the first place

I'm sure Chimpy knows better than I do but I heard that the fight took place at a campus hang out type area. Not at a party or frat house.