Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
Two things...from a couple of pages back...Rock, the Illini have played other Illinois schools, they played EIU last year and SIU the year before, I believe. I think part of the problem is, besides NW and NIU, all of the other Illinois schools are I-AA and lower (scuse me, Football Championship Subdivision). And I believe that Ron Guenther likes to schedule more FBS schools. Also, the fact that NIU was good and UI was, well, not, it scared the crap outta them.

Two, McCoy should've won. He is underrated, has some ok, but not great, WRs in Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley...lost his running back...and they still go 11-1.

Bradford had lots of weapons.

Tebow had Harvin.

Even Harrell, who should have been there and I think that's the biggest snub ever in Heisman history, had Crabtree.

I would have voted: McCoy, Bradford, Harrell, Tebow.

Look at the records Bradford set at Ok and in the NCAA. McCoy has plenty of weapons, Texas pulls in a top talent recruiting class every year.

As for the Ill schools. I dont think that the 1-AA (or whatver) should stop them from playing one of them a year. It lets the other schools in the state earn some money and help their athletic and educational programs. NIU should def be one they schedule every year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Look at the records Bradford set at Ok and in the NCAA. McCoy has plenty of weapons, Texas pulls in a top talent recruiting class every year.

As for the Ill schools. I dont think that the 1-AA (or whatver) should stop them from playing one of them a year. It lets the other schools in the state earn some money and help their athletic and educational programs. NIU should def be one they schedule every year.

Illinois has been lately, but I think before that, they were trying to get more low level FBS schools, like Syracuse.

McCoy lost most of his weapons. He is the spoon that stirs the pot. Here's the thing, the Heisman vote is flawed. Sometimes it's straight numbers...sometimes it's "leadership."

JMHO but I think Oklahoma could've been 11-1 with another QB. I don't think Texas would without McCoy. But, as someone said earlier...the Heisman is more like an MOP than an MVP. Which is sad, because I think they need to figure that out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
But at some point it has to be about numbers. All three candidates for the most part passed that first test of being on another level than other players, and leading their team to success. After that point, it should be about the numbers mostly. Especially when a player like Bradford leads to nation in so many categories.

And if you think this was a year without the hype, thats probably because you ARE a Tebow supporter who is a beneficiary of most of the hype.

That's not Heisman hype for Tebow. Tebow already won the award, immediately earning hype from the media (and well deserved). I'm talking about schools hyping their player, as in advertising, sending out letters and stuff to remind voters of their guy, etc. There was no Heisman campaign for Tebow. As far as a Tebow supporter, that is hardly true. I do respect SEC football because I live in it, but I am still a Big Ten guy. I respect Tebow because I think he is an amazing college player. In reality, he is what college athletics SHOULD be about. But if you recall, I said I would have voted for McCoy first.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
Some insider info says that after ISU contacted TCU head coach Gary Patterson, he showed legitimate interest. Hard to believe, but that'd be just about the coup of the century.

I don't buy that for a second (although I've been wrong before), however I do believe you guys have a shot at Turner Gill, and that would be a great get.

Maybe Patterson is looking to move on. It has been widely reported here that he wanted the Auburn job and even thought he was going to get it. The worst nightmare for Auburn fans right now is that Iowa State gets Turner Gill and he vastly improves Iowa State, while Auburn struggles under Chizik. Chizik is not a popular choicie at all here right now.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
Maybe Patterson is looking to move on. It has been widely reported here that he wanted the Auburn job and even thought he was going to get it. The worst nightmare for Auburn fans right now is that Iowa State gets Turner Gill and he vastly improves Iowa State, while Auburn struggles under Chizik. Chizik is not a popular choicie at all here right now.

I know what you are saying, but moving from Buffalo to Iowa State is a HUGE upgrade (as everybody knows obviously), so it makes a lot of sense for Gill, and it certainly makes a lot of sense for Iowa State as he's a fantastic coach. On the other hand, in terms of football programs, TCU to Iowa State is a lateral move right now, if not an outright downgrade. The only reason I would even consider it perhaps a lateral move is conference affilation. Patterson has TCU in place as a longstanding non-BCS powerhouse, and has turned down big jobs before. Perhaps he wants to move on, but he can afford to be patient and pick his spot if that is the case.

As for the "worst nightmare" senario, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that happens. Gill turned Buffalo into a MAC Champion, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he had success in the Big 12 North, even if Iowa State is a so called albatross job. Ater all, they said the same thing about Buffalo for years and look what he has done there and in a hurry. The Chizik hire is just puzzling, but then again, so was firing Tuberville. Even if Auburn didn't want to hire Gill and it was for honest, football related reasons, I would think they could have done much better than Chizik. It's a blessing for Iowa State that he was taken away, especially if they end up with somebody the quality of Gill.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I understand Gil wanting to move to a BCS conference and he deserves to do so. But I wouldnt go to Iowa State if I was him. He may win there but chances are he wont just because of no one has won there in a long time. Nebraska is coming back, Kansas and Missouri are solid programs now, K-State should get better and we all know about the schools in Texas and Oklahoma. Plus Iowa State is second fiddle to Iowa. He should stay at Buffalo for another season or two and wait and keeping winning so better options open up for him.

The Humanitarian Bowl must not be a popular destination for the holidays. Maryland has sold 16 tickets and Nevada has sold just 8 from their allotments.

tickets

BOISE - The match up is different every year but to Humanitarian Bowl organizers one thing remains the same: making money.

So what can Boise expect with this year's H-bowl game?

This year the Boise State Broncos are headed to sunny San Diego, leaving the Humanitarian Bowl orange-less again. But BSU ticket agents say don't let the lack of lines fool you. They say their phones have been ringing off the hook, not only for Poinsettia Bowl seats, but also for the H-Bowl match up.

"Now that we know its Nevada and Maryland people are excited about that match up," said Anita Guerricabeitia, assistant director for ticket sales.

Humanitarian Bowl officials admit they wanted BSU to stay and play on the blue turf.

"Of course it's a big boost to us on the revenue side when we have Boise State because we basically sell every seat in the stadium," said Kevin McDonald, Executive Director for the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl.

Last year 26,000 people braved the December cold to watch the game. While some fans made the trek to Boise McDonald says they rely on locals to help fill the seats.

"The success of this bowl is really based on travel not coming from the ACC, we like the fact we get a marque name coming from the ACC."

"It has a real positive impact whether it's locals or whether it's out of town folks," said Bobbie Patterson, Executive Director for the Boise Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Patterson says on average a visitor spends about $240 a day when they come to the city. With the H-Bowl a week after the Poinsettia Bowl this year the hope is those BSU fans who made the trip to California will be back to help out come December 30th.

"It generates enthusiastic spending," said Patterson.

As of Monday afternoon the University of Maryland says it's sold about 16 tickets to the game. The University of Nevada says it's sold 8 so far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
There are plenty of good coaches who come from 1-AA schools. Also there are several coordinators that are looking to move up the ranks as well.

For sure. Brian Kelly is a former 1-AA and Central Michigan coach. Our coach here at NIU was a 1-AA coach and I have full faith he will do a great job here, he sure as hell did a good one this year. In fact, I worry that in the future when Bill Synder retires again, Coach Kill might get the chance to go back to his home state and take it. There are other examples I'm sure but I'm too lazy to look them up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
For sure. Brian Kelly is a former 1-AA and Central Michigan coach. Our coach here at NIU was a 1-AA coach and I have full faith he will do a great job here, he sure as hell did a good one this year. In fact, I worry that in the future when Bill Synder retires again, Coach Kill might get the chance to go back to his home state and take it. There are other examples I'm sure but I'm too lazy to look them up.

SWEATER VEST

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
Not sure how I forgot about him. :lolhitting

Trust me, when he was hired it was just as much as a surprise as when UM hired Bo. OSU brought in this local guy from YST to replace a coach who we all hated, but was decently successful with his teams and brought in a high level of talent. Tress proved that winning at another level is still winning and it can be carried over as you move up.