AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

Heads22

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
So I missed the whole game because of work again, but nice to see Junior contributes right off the bat.

What i don't know is how did he perform out there in CF? Than again, Javy (by his line) locked the Royals so I bet Junior didn't have a chance to show off?

Can anyone spare some info on how he looked out there?

He didn't move much in center. He didn't really have any chances either.

I didn't think I'd feel this way, but it was exciting to have Griffey playing for the Sox tonight. And it was even sweeter to see him deliver us some 2-out RBI singles. No need to swing for the fences if runners are in scoring position. Just get 'em in!

Also, the only grape drink I care to consume has a cork.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
I was just about to say the same thing! Seeing my favorite player playing on my favorite team is AWESOME!!!! I have always wanted and wished he was on the Sox, but I really never thought that would happen. I am glad it did!!! :gosox3:

Absolutely my feelings too. I felt like a kid again watching Frank Thomas in his prime. It was AWESOME!

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:50 AM)
What did Hawk have to say about the Griffey pick up?

He was relatively reserved, saying once or twice that at one point, Griffey was the best he'd ever seen. He said he could make a great impact for the team on the field and in the clubhouse and also that it gives Ozzie a lot of options and some more versatility.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
He also said that Griffey was the most glamorous player he'd ever seen, and that everything he did was aesthetically pleasing and graceful.

"Everything he did was just...pretty." I tend to agree with that btw, the most beautiful swing in MLB history.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:30 AM)
"Everything he did was just...pretty." I tend to agree with that btw, the most beautiful swing in MLB history.

even though his stint with this team will likely be very short, its nice to know that one of the greatest baseball players of all time spent at least a little time as a member of the chicago white sox

I agree - it is great to see him on our team. I hope his stay is more that mere trivia fodder, though (like the great Steve Carlton playing for the Sox in 1986 and me totally unable to even remember). Griff won't be his old superhuman self, but I hope he contributes and makes a real difference in this team's fortunes. Most important to me now is that, if nothing else, I expect he won't fall prey to the Minnesota shrinking sack syndrome that the rest of our guys have. Even if his skills are diminished, the man is a gamer - the exact opposite of what we see from our guys whenever we visit the baggiedome. I can just imagine when Hawk is with the team and mentions how difficult the Twins will be in the stretch. Griff will lay back with a confident smile and simply say "f--- that!" and let his bat say the same thing on the field. I can't wait.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

All I gotta say about last night's game was Juan Uribe stood on his head (hockey quote for you southern folk) at third base. There is a part of me that is really liking what I see in him as a defensive utility guy same as Anderson/Wise.

My apologies to Javier for calling him a wilting flower. Pulling from another thread he gets killed when teams go the other way that was how he gave up the two runs.

Carrasco made it scary and the offense was pretty sad.

Dotel and Jenks looked fine.

Griffey in an interview on CSN sounded like he was getting worked over (in a fun way) when he joined the team.

Dye may end the career of Orlando Cabrerra one of these days with his bulls*** antics. I for one would have no problem with it.

I believe Scott Linebrink is the key to the rest of the White Sox season. Although Carrasco has performed well for the most part, its just a matter of time for him. Linebrink getting back and regaining his earlier form could project the bullpen back to its shutdown level they had earlier. They all had their roles and performed them superbly. Missing a piece whether it was Jenks or then Linebrink, I think has affected the bullpen greatly and taken them all out of their roles just enough to throw them off a bit. If they could at least get close to the level they were at a couple months ago, it would leave Minnesota in their dust IMO. If someone told me in spring training that both Mark Buerhle and Javy Vazquez would be below .500 on August 2nd, 4th or 5th place would have been where I would have expected this team to be. Obviously Danks and Floyd have pitched beyond expectations, but the bullpen is what made this team a contender.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (MEANS @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
maybe Griff can teach our home run swinging guys a thing or two, with his approach last night? nice job JR.!!! welcome to the sox.

and grape A-Treat is the BOMB!!!!!

I think you saw the most important thing Griff could teach our team, and that is being cool in the clutch. He has no fear of two outs or two strikes. If he could pass some of that around, look out baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I think you saw the most important thing Griff could teach our team, and that is being cool in the clutch. He has no fear of two outs or two strikes. If he could pass some of that around, look out baseball.

He should take young Brian under his wing.

Also, I won't be around for the game today, so someone please take care of Chops.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I believe Scott Linebrink is the key to the rest of the White Sox season. Although Carrasco has performed well for the most part, its just a matter of time for him. Linebrink getting back and regaining his earlier form could project the bullpen back to its shutdown level they had earlier. They all had their roles and performed them superbly. Missing a piece whether it was Jenks or then Linebrink, I think has affected the bullpen greatly and taken them all out of their roles just enough to throw them off a bit. If they could at least get close to the level they were at a couple months ago, it would leave Minnesota in their dust IMO. If someone told me in spring training that both Mark Buerhle and Javy Vazquez would be below .500 on August 2nd, 4th or 5th place would have been where I would have expected this team to be. Obviously Danks and Floyd have pitched beyond expectations, but the bullpen is what made this team a contender.

Agreed, the bullpen has to rebound or we're dead. We don't need it to be quite as good as it was early on though IMO, we just need Dotel and Jenks to be good (not unrealistic), Linebrink to get back healthy, and then one of the lefties (either one) to start pitching well again. The Linebrink thing could be a blessing if we survive it and he comes back feeling good, because he's worn down in the stretch run in his career (his post all star game ERA is almost a run higher than his pre all star game ERA in the majors).