1. 1. What do you do?

• Buyout Griffey's contract and let him walk
    • Buyout Griffey's contract and sign him to a new deal
    • Trade Konerko
    • Trade Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, trade one of Konerko or Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, Konerko, and Swisher
    • Griffey should just retire after this season

Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that Ken Griffey Jr. is just phenomenal for the rest of this season. What do you do with Konerko? What do you do with Swisher? What about Griffey? Who do you trade? Do you let Griffey walk? I know Griffey has only played one game, but if he can keep it up we can have a ton to deal with in the off season. I was just thinking about this earlier and I'm curious about what you would do if you were in this situation.

Edited by jenks45monster

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 11:46 PM)
I am as excited as the next guy about Griff, but let's be realistic. Griff with be 39 going into next season. You will see soon enough his range in CF is extremely limited,and thats being kind. Realistically, he is a DH, and the 2nd best one currently on the roster. With the Thome option looking like it will kick in, there probably isn't a spot for JR. next season, even with Konerko possibly gone.

Realistically, I can see him as being what Edmonds has been for the Cubs. I think getting a fresh start for Griffey will work wonders. If he stays motivated to win a Title next year (if we don't win this year :D), I can see him putting up a up a .260-.270, 25-30 HR, 75-80 RBI season in playing 4 out of every 5 games. Obviously we won't be seeing the Griffey many of us grew up idolizing, but I think he can be pretty solid.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Konerko's here to stay, so you cut ties with Griffey and use your saved money (from OC, Crede) to get a younger impact guy that can grow alongside CQ et al for years to come.

I wouldn't mind getting Orlando Hudson this off season. Though he would most likely require a 10M per year price tag and isn't exactly young (he's 31), he's a Gold Glove 2nd baseman with a .282 career batting average.

Here's what I ultimately see happening...

2B Hudson

SS Ramirez

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

C Pierzynski

1B Konerko

CF Swisher

3B Fields

If they could somehow negotiate a new deal for Griffey, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around, but I'd only like to see him in RF or at 1B, meaning Swish would be in CF and Konerko dealt. I'd still love to get one of, if not both, of Furcal or Hudson. I have a feeling Hudson would be more likely, so I could see something like this involving Griffey...

2B Hudson

C Pierzynski

LF Quentin

1B Dye

DH Thome

SS Ramirez

RF Griffey

CF Swisher

3B Fields

Also, I would TOTALLY take a shot, if cheap, on Rocco Baldelli. If he ever comes back to where he was, he gives you speed, defense, and a legit 1/2 batter.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 12:17 AM)
How bout a tell kenny jr to hang em up option

Lol, it's there now. Sorry about the options guys. I threw it up there pretty quickly without mulling everything through.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:21 AM)
Crede at 5.1, Cabrera at 9, and Uribe at 4.5, there is going to be money to play with, and those are only the "locks" to be off the books.

Jenks enters arb next yr, no?

But yea - who else could be off books? Thome likely to stay, but Hall maybe gone?

I'd be a crappy GM but i want to get one outstanding guy with most of that money and then somehow hope we have a 2b and leadoff hitter finally.

Edited by Princess Dye

I think I saw something today from Konerko that I didn't like. After Griffey came in to score that run and was getting high-fives all around in the dugout, I didn't see Kong give him any love. Jealously of playing time maybe? Or maybe the cameras just never shower it...

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
I think I saw something today from Konerko that I didn't like. After Griffey came in to score that run and was getting high-fives all around in the dugout, I didn't see Kong give him any love. Jealously of playing time maybe? Or maybe the cameras just never shower it...

Maybe if Konerko would ever get a 2 out RBI hit, none of this would be an issue. Hell, even just a 2 out hit. Or an RBI. Or just a hit at all.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
There are more than a few guys with bump ups.

Dotel goes from 5 to 6

Linebrink goes from 4 to 4.5

MacDougal actually gets around a 600K bump

Thornton gets about a 500K bump

Hall has a 2.25M TO

AJ gets about a 600K bump

Dye gets a 2 million dollar bump

Swisher gets an almost 2 million dollar bump

Jenks does infact go to ARB.

god looking at the available shortstops and second basemen, you almost just want to keep OC and have the D and semi-leadoff hitter in place one way or the other.

it just doesnt look like there's a CF spot open to give someone, and i dont know who i'd want to give it to anyway. Swisher likely is the CF next yr unless other moves happen.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
There are more than a few guys with bump ups.

Dotel goes from 5 to 6

Linebrink goes from 4 to 4.5

MacDougal actually gets around a 600K bump

Thornton gets about a 500K bump

Hall has a 2.25M TO

AJ gets about a 600K bump

Dye gets a 2 million dollar bump

Swisher gets an almost 2 million dollar bump

Jenks does infact go to ARB.

Thats 7.2 mil in added salary from those guys, 9.95 if they pick up Toby's option. Thats not including what Bobby will get through arbitration.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
god looking at the available shortstops and second basemen, you almost just want to keep OC and have the D and semi-leadoff hitter in place one way or the other.

Furcal is a great option at SS for us if he can stay healthy. Or you pick up Hudson and move Alexei to SS. Or you sign both, and throw Alexei in CF.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
Maybe if Konerko would ever get a 2 out RBI hit, none of this would be an issue. Hell, even just a 2 out hit. Or an RBI. Or just a hit at all.

Not saying that I support Konerko at all. But just to ignore a great player like Griffey that is actually contributing to help the team out is just plain wrong.

Impossible question to answer right now, because of all the variables:

1. Will we make the playoffs? And if we do, how does Griffey perform/affect us in the playoffs.

2. How does Griffey perform the rest of the regular season.

3. Does Griffey enjoy Chicago and want to stay here.

4. What are the financial consequences of keeping Griffey around.

5. Would Paul Konerko perhaps be willing to waive his 10/5 due to not being happy with the situation he's been put in.

6. Other free agent acquisitions potentially this offseason, as well as salary bump ups and arbitration possibilities.

If it's me, I for sure don't pick up the option. However, if Griffey is willing to listen, and he performs well, I'd be willing to at least talk to him after the season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I don't mind the idea of Alexei in CF, but with OC likely leaving and no real replacement for him in our system, combined with the Richar trade, Alexei at SS and Getz at 2B looks like a very real possibility next season. Unless of course, we get busy in the free agent market, and guys like Furcal (and especially Hudson IMO) are possibilities. I think a lot of it depends on what they think of Getz, and we don't know that obviously.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
Is there a way for me to patten this idea?? hahahah. I really, really want that to happen.

Just put it in your sig, thats good enough for a patent and the forum will sooner or later tie in Tony with the idea.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
Is there a way for me to patten this idea?? hahahah. I really, really want that to happen.

If that were to happen, our team would be sick nasty offensively and defensively...

If Griffey turns out to be incapable of playing a prolonged (2+ month) CF, you could see his playing time cut into Thome's in the DH spot, this could possibly limit Thome's PA's enough to block his option

If that happens, I want Griffster as our DH next year :wub:

And I know I'm totally basing this off my manlove for Griffey and not on any stats or anything, it's good to be a fan ;)

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:14 AM)
If that were to happen, our team would be sick nasty offensively and defensively...

I think Ramirez is much more valuable in the middle infield than he would be in CF, especially due to his range and arm strength.

What is the likelihood of being able to deal Konerko in the off-season, and at his lowest possible value? Aren't the odds at least 50/50 that Konerko has a more significant injury (the oft-rumored congenital hip problem/s)...and that there's at least a "pretty good" chance he could return to .280, 30, 100 RBI form with the Sox next year, pushing Swisher back to CF again? Everyone wonders where the power has gone and WHY his drives that used to go out routinely are now dying on the warning track, and KW concurred with that concern by dealing for Griffey when he had the opportunity.

Even with Ramirez's OBPS hovering around .800 for much of his hot streak, I think he maxes out around 22-26 homers per year...those are All-Star numbers in the middle infield, only so-so for an OF. Perhaps he will also learn the craft/art of basestealing, although projecting him as a Soriano-esque 30-30 type of player at this point is really pushing it.

Unfortunately, the idea of a Getz and Ramirez pairing seems to be getting more and more traction as an internal option...and I just hope that Getz is more like Aaron Miles and less like Willie Harris or Richar.

Going with Juan Uribe out of desperation again at 2B doesn't seem too great of an option either.

I hope A. Russell can "man up" this offseason and polish his game enough to become a more reliable version of Masset/MacDougal.

Edited by caulfield12