1. 1. What do you do?

• Buyout Griffey's contract and let him walk
    • Buyout Griffey's contract and sign him to a new deal
    • Trade Konerko
    • Trade Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, trade one of Konerko or Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, Konerko, and Swisher
    • Griffey should just retire after this season

Adding a guy like Orlando Hudson at 2b, who can then hit leadoff, would be job #1.

Konerko might be traded-if the angels can't re-sign Texiera; the Giants may be a possibility. If PK gets traded, I'd expect a move for a CF via trade, with Swisher at 1b. Taveras from Col. would be a decent fit hitting #9 to inject speed and defense.

Or if PK stays, I could see a trade for 3b with less power. I don't think Fields is helping himself with his recent play.

I don't know where Griffey fits though.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
although interestingly, you may figure that to win next yr, you need to cobble together a DH out of two injury prone guys in Grif/Thome

Kind of like Everett/Thomas ended up working out

Having 2 guys who don't play the field cripples the roster.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
Having 2 guys who don't play the field cripples the roster.

Having Griffey paired with Konerko or Thome paired with Konerko...it just doesn't make much sense to have 2 aging LH hitters.

I know Everett sort of worked out in 2005 as a replacement for Thomas, but not by much! I mean, if Griffey really plays well and fits in AND wants to stay, he might be a much less expensive option that Thome, and we no longer will be receiving an offset for Thome's contract from the Phillies either.

Edited by caulfield12

As cold as it might seem , Griffey is a guy to help push the Sox into the playoffs this year only. He can't play centerfield every day. Not even close. He's a huge injury risk . He was booed in Cincy for his play in right field. Can't keep both Griffey and Thome next year. Nor both Konerko and Swisher if neither one is going to hit. Alexei at any position has to be considered even centerfield. In a full season he'll possibly hit anywhere from .275-.350 . He's a natural athlete. The Sox have always been more likely to pursue what they need in trades not free agency so 1 free agent signing is possible , 2 unlikely. Thome, Griffey , Konerko, Swisher they could all be gone next year. The only thing that will make this easier is either PK or Swish shows vast improvement from this point forward. Good luck figuring it all out Kenny . That's why you get the big bucks.

Wow...it's buy Griffey out and let him walk by a mile to me. I just don't see the arguments for signing a 39 year old Ken Griffey where his best positions are LF, RF and DH and he's inferior to the players you have there now (Quentin, Dye, and Thome).

Much rather have Quentin ($500k), Dye ($9M), and Thome ($8M, considering payment by Philly) than Quentin/Dye/Griffey ($10-12 million).

Thome is a year younger and his old player skills are better.

Swisher vs. Griffey is kind of a no brainer as well. Swisher is better defensively (although it's not that Swisher is plus defender) and signed long term fairly cheaply.

Swisher vs. Konerko is not close as well. Trading Konerko for room for Griffey pushes Griffey to CF in his age 39/40 seasons...I just don't see that. I guess he could try 1st base, but a late career transition like that is not something I would be anxious to see. But I'd take age 33/34 seasons for Konerko - who has bounced back from poor seasons before - over Griffey 39/40 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Trade PK for Figgins (Hopefully Texiera signs elswhere while im assuming Crede leaves via free agency)

Give Thome that option to let him finish his career a White Sox as our DH. (wow how my mind has changed about him)

Buyout Griffeys option and sign him to a 3 year deal. He can play CF one more year and he can replace Thome after the 2009 season as our DH.

Bring up Fields finally!

Figgins 2b

Pierzynski C

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Ramirez SS

Griffey CF

Swisher 1b

Fields 3b

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
In a full season he'll possibly hit anywhere from .275-.350.

Just like the Sox will win anywhere from 60 wins to 110 wins, right?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
Wow...it's buy Griffey out and let him walk by a mile to me. I just don't see the arguments for signing a 39 year old Ken Griffey where his best positions are LF, RF and DH and he's inferior to the players you have there now (Quentin, Dye, and Thome).

Fully agree. I'm surprised it's even being talked about. There's no way you can rely on Griffey in CF for a full season, and he's not going to replace Thome, Quentin, or Dye as he's not nearly as good as any of them.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Buyout Griffeys option and sign him to a 3 year deal.

Why would anyone sign an injury prone 39-year old to a 3 year deal?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Trade PK for Figgins (Hopefully Texiera signs elswhere while im assuming Crede leaves via free agency)

Give Thome that option to let him finish his career a White Sox as our DH. (wow how my mind has changed about him)

Buyout Griffeys option and sign him to a 3 year deal. He can play CF one more year and he can replace Thome after the 2009 season as our DH.

Bring up Fields finally!

There is something wrong with virtually everything in this.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

+1,000,000. Griffey is a two-month hired gun. If Konerko and Swish weren't slumping, Kenny probably wouldn't have bothered.

Unfortunately, it looks like Thome will likely pick up enough ABs to guarantee his contract for next season. At this point, I think that you use the money left over from the Crede/Cabrera/Uribe attrition to solidify 2B and 3B (Alexei moves to SS) and stand pat afterwards. If the Sox are playing mediocre ball in July, you shop Thome and Paulie.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
What's your point ? You can give me more exact figures on what his batting average next year will be ?

No, but saying he'll hit anywhere from .275 to .350 isn't really saying anything. If you're going to try and make a prediction, at least be a bit more specific. It's like saying someone is going to hit anywhere from 20 to 50 home runs next year, does that tell you anything?

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
No, but saying he'll hit anywhere from .275 to .350 isn't really saying anything. If you're going to try and make a prediction, at least be a bit more specific. It's like saying someone is going to hit anywhere from 20 to 50 home runs next year, does that tell you anything?

My point was at worst he's a solid player at best he's a superstar. I think that is saying something. We just don't know yet with less then a season under his belt do we ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
My question is, how can anyone justify not re-signing Thome?

Unless he goes on the DL this year, he'll garner enough at-bats to automatically guarantee his contract option for next year. Beyond that, extending an injury-prone 38-year-old so fragile that Ozzie's afraid to stick him at 1B during interleague play would be a retarded move.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Unless he goes on the DL this year, he'll garner enough at-bats to automatically guarantee his contract option for next year. Beyond that, extending an injury-prone 38-year-old so fragile that Ozzie's afraid to stick him at 1B during interleague play would be a retarded move.

"Injury-prone" - Has played in less than 130 games once (59 in 2005) since 1994. Yep. "Injury-prone".

Also there's the fact that he's posted OPS+ of 155, 150, and 132 with us. And that he was our best offensive player last year, and second-best in 2006.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Who do you suggest we DH next year?

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Anyone know the numbers currently for Thome's option to vest? I.E. his plate appearances thus far, what he needs, and projection on games to be played.

1100 PA in 2007+2008 according to this.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Yeah, but I meant how many he's accumulated thus far, and roughly how many games left to play would clinch it (if he hasn't already, I don't know).

Well, you could look it up, you have internet access don't you? ;)