• Buyout Griffey's contract and let him walk
    • Buyout Griffey's contract and sign him to a new deal
    • Trade Konerko
    • Trade Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, trade one of Konerko or Swisher
    • Keep Griffey, Konerko, and Swisher
    • Griffey should just retire after this season

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Yeah, basically you can find a player out there in FA such as a Dye who didn't put up great numbers in Oakland for health and ballpark reasons, who when they come to the Sox will have an increase in their offensive numbers.

One of the best signings KW's ever made really.

Over the course of his contract, I think that signing will prove better than Paul Konerko's extension.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Over the course of his contract, I think that signing will prove better than Paul Konerko's extension.

Absolutely.

It's just sad how Paulie's bat speed has slowed down that he can't hit fastballs anymore.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Jermaine Dye for Maggs.

And Scotty Pods for LF. You don't have to replace the power numbers HR for HR. A more balanced and consistant line up pays its own type of dues. Look at 05 when we had the lead in something like the first 50 games of the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)

Yep. Dye's arguably been the best hitter on this team over the past 2 1/2 years. And he still has at least a couple more productive years left.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Swisher is "CLEARLY" a better defensive option in CF? This is news to me. How many gold gloves does Griffey have? 10? What about Swisher? None. No, Griffey is not the Seattle Griffey we all know and remember, but he is still better than Swish. Swisher has better range at this point in Griffey's career but Griffey can still be a far superior in CF. Do you think Swisher's puss arm even compares to Griffey's? Did you see the catch Griff made in CF the other day (Saturday, I think)? I really don't see why you'd want to move Dye to DH or Thome to 1B either. Dye is 34 compared to Thome who is 37( Thome turns 38 on August 27th). You obviously wouldn't want a guy as old as Thome out there trying to put up solid D. He can't move like he used to. Dye on the hand, has a great arm in RF, and has shown us that he can play Gold Glove caliber defense( He actually has 1 Gold Glove). Please explain your reasoning.

Is this a serious post?

You're using Griffey's 10 Gold Gloves that he's gotten at various points a while back over a 20-year MLB career to talk about the caliber fielder he is right now, today? Really?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Swisher is not a good CF either. I trust the opinions of those who've watched Griffey and say he's terrible out there. There are no good defensive options in cf right now.

Swisher's been better than advertised though. There were serious doubts before the season started on whether or not he could handle CF and if Owens was going to have to play there, and for the most part, he's answered those questions.

I'm not sure what his RZR is however.

Next season, I think getting an upgrade at CF, and moving Swisher to 1B is an option, if you can trade Konerko. Otherwise, keep Swish at CF, and upgrade at either 2B/SS, 3B and the back of the rotation and bullpen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
You stated that we have no good defensive options in CF. I think BA and Wise are pretty solid defenders.

I just noticed your reply after I typed mine. Yeah. We have 2 good defensive options in CF, one is really good.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
Swisher's been better than advertised though. There were serious doubts before the season started on whether or not he could handle CF and if Owens was going to have to play there, and for the most part, he's answered those questions.

I'm not sure what his RZR is however.

Next season, I think getting an upgrade at CF, and moving Swisher to 1B is an option, if you can trade Konerko. Otherwise, keep Swish at CF, and upgrade at either 2B/SS, 3B and the back of the rotation and bullpen.

Swisher is about a league average CF though, IMO. If you were to use the posts on this board as a guide though you'd think he was Barry Bonds out there. He is not a plus defender, but none of our starting OFs are really (Quentin has a cannon arm but he's pretty meh out there at times).

They are options for CF??? No way in hell are they going to start.

What don't you understand? Wise and BA are not going to start or do anything except play once a week or come in the late innings. We have no good defensive everyday options in cf right now. You think they are going to play over Swish or Griffey??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
What don't you understand? Wise and BA are not going to start or do anything except play once a week or come in the late innings. We have no good defensive everyday options in cf right now. You think they are going to play over Swish or Griffey??

That may be what you meant, but that's certainly not what you said.

Edited by lostfan

I thought the topic was CFs who Oz actually would consider letting play more than once a week. BA and Wise are scrubs in his mind. Anderson and Fields appear to be total scrubs in Oz's mind. Hell, Uribe has beaten out Fields and BA does not play. They are not options in cf except for the eighth inning or play once in a blue moon.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Wise and BA are not going to start or do anything except play once a week or come in the late innings. We have no good defensive everyday options in cf right now.

That's not what you originally stated. You said we had no good defensive options in CF which is a false statement.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
You think they are going to play over Swish or Griffey??

No. Why would I think that?

You tell me then why Anderson and Wise are options in cf? They are never going to play; Oz will never consider playing them except in the eighth or in a spot start so why would you call them OPTIONS?? They are not options in centerfield.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
You tell me then why Anderson and Wise are options in cf? They are never going to play; Oz will never consider playing them except in the eighth or in a spot start so why would you call them OPTIONS?? They are not options in centerfield.

For about the 4th time in the last 30 minutes from the chorus of 3 posters who have said this, this doesn't match with what you originally said. You didn't specify CFs who would be considered everyday starters. That is totally different from not having anybody who can play CF at all. Anything else that is said beyond that is gibberish as it would only be in response to something that was never said.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
For about the 4th time in the last 30 minutes from the chorus of 3 posters who have said this, this doesn't match with what you originally said. You didn't specify CFs who would be considered everyday starters. That is totally different from not having anybody who can play CF at all. Anything else that is said beyond that is gibberish as it would only be in response to something that was never said.

No "REALISTIC" options...sure, Owens and Anderson and Wise all MIGHT be better than Swisher or Griffey (you can argue their relative merits, with Anderson being overrated by some still), but none of them are going to play 4-6 times per week in CF in August and September for a contending White Sox team, barring a major injury.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
No "REALISTIC" options...sure, Owens and Anderson and Wise all MIGHT be better than Swisher or Griffey (you can argue their relative merits, with Anderson being overrated by some still), but none of them are going to play 4-6 times per week in CF in August and September for a contending White Sox team, barring a major injury.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Anything else that is said beyond that is gibberish as it would only be in response to something that was never said.

It probably gives some merit to Dayn Perry's piece, that the Sox were losers for trading for Griffey because they'll use him a lot in CF, and that's really going to hurt their overall defense for a marginal upgrade on offense depending on how he hits.

Out of Griffey/Konerko/Thome, Thome is the only one worth keeping...but Konerko will be very hard to move. I think 90% chance they let Griffey walk, Thome's option vest and we Konerko gets quietly shopped with no trade happening.