What player would you most like to have seen play for Sox?

caulfield12

I was thinking about this over the last couple of days....since the Griffey, Jr., deal.

In my lifetime (and I'm 38), we've had Fisk, Baines, Sosa, Frank Thomas, Seaver, Steve Carlton (at the VERY end), Ventura, Michael Jordan (sort of), Bo Jackson, Jim Thome and now Griffey...

Which player OVER the last 25 years would most liked to have seen in a White Sox line-up?

Barry Bonds? don't think so

Cal Ripken, Jr.? Well, that would just seem weird I guess!

Kirby Puckett? the hometown angle would have been a nice story...much better than the reality behind the scenes apparently

Ozzie Smith?

Nolan Ryan?

George Brett?

Mike Schmidt?

Reggie Jackson?

Rod Carew?

Pete Rose?

Randy Johnson?

Greg Maddux?

Tom Glavine?

Tony Gwynn?

Johan Santana/Joe Nathan/Joe Mauer/Justin Morneau/Torii Hunter?

Chris B. Young?

I listed mostly HOF times to get the "ball rolling," but I am sure there are many good ones that I left off the list.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
Carlos Gomez

Vince Coleman and Willie McGee were two of my favorite NL players in the 80's and early 90's...when you mentioned Gomez, I thought back to Lance Johnson (who couldn't find any playing time in that Cards' outfield) and "rabbit ball" on that searing hot artificial surface.

Felipe Lopez is an interesting name....only 28, just waived by the Nationals, has the versatility to play 2B and SS (although not a good defender, only 3 years removed from the Silver Slugger Award)...I wonder if he would be a better option than Uribe?

Well, he's at least a player to keep an eye on for 2009.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Tony Gwynn, Johan Santana, A-Rod, Soriano

Have any of those players won a World Series?

I guess Soriano did with the Yankees, and it's hard to criticize Johan Santana...whose Twins' teams never had the depth to get past the first round.

But it is very curious how Soriano has moved around so much (for a player with his offensive skills) and hasn't won much of anything but big contracts since leaving the Big Apple.

A-Rod? Well, I guess at SS, but I don't think we could have won in 2005 because so much of our payroll would have been sunk into his contract, and we wouldn't have been able to add on Hermanson, El Duque, Vizcaino, AJ, Iguchi, Pods, etc.

However, it would have been nice to see, and he would have been closer to the Iowa hometown of his best friend from Scores, lol. Maybe too far from Madonna, though.

Randy Johnson

Greg Maddux

Nolan Ryan

Tom Glavine

John Smoltz

George Brett

Pete Rose

Rod Carew

I would like to have seen these guys on the Sox. All at the same time, all in their prime.

We totally would have been good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Have any of those players won a World Series?

I guess Soriano did with the Yankees, and it's hard to criticize Johan Santana...whose Twins' teams never had the depth to get past the first round.

But it is very curious how Soriano has moved around so much (for a player with his offensive skills) and hasn't won much of anything but big contracts since leaving the Big Apple.

A-Rod? Well, I guess at SS, but I don't think we could have won in 2005 because so much of our payroll would have been sunk into his contract, and we wouldn't have been able to add on Hermanson, El Duque, Vizcaino, AJ, Iguchi, Pods, etc.

However, it would have been nice to see, and he would have been closer to the Iowa hometown of his best friend from Scores, lol. Maybe too far from Madonna, though.

I don't think this is an excercise in what pieces would have helped the team win anything. Thomas was awesome to watch, and I'm glad I was able to be there for many homeruns. I guess you could say he won a ring. The Southside Hitmeb ERA was exciting. For Cubs having watched Maddux or Sandberg was probably a treat, they never won a ring.

This list seems to be more, which players were just cool to watch. I'd love to have cheered for Clemente even more. Nolan Ryan would have been exciiting as well. I was a Johnny Bench fan growing up, so maybe I would add him as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
If $ wasn't a factor, ARod who when its all said and done, will go down as the greatest ever.

Probably not. He isn't near the slugger Ruth was in terms of OPS or OPS+. You'd have to give him an incredible defensive credit to consider him an overall better player than Ruth, as Ruth played good rightfield defense and was one of the very best pitchers in his league when he was a kid.

Considering Rodriguez anywhere near Ruth's level is like considering Aaron as highly as Ruth. Aaron's single-season highest slugging mark isn't even as high as Ruth's career mark, to make the point more vivid. And, of course, that takes away numerous ballplayers who might well be greater than Rodriguez by a significant amount.