White Sox Loser

whitesoxfan101

It's a recipe we've followed to a t very often the last month. Offense does it's job, pitching (both starting and relief) is awful, a key defense gaffe (the should have been error by Cabrera on Butler in the 2nd) gives the opponent two free runs that ended up being very important. I am starting to wonder if the pitching and defense are irrevocably broken. I have some faith in the starters (although that faith diminishes by the day), but our bullpen is doomed until Linebrink comes back and this defense is just horrible. Yikes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
PK looked fantastic today, and Thome has been very consistent lately (in that he's been great).

And with the way we're pitching and defending, we need EVERYBODY in this lineup to be fantastic if we want to stay afloat. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's true. Our ERA as a team in July has to be up in the high 5's, and today is getting August right back where July left off after one good outing on the 1st. And of course the defense has just sucked. It's difficult to watch, we'd be 4 or 5 games out without the offense in July and now early August.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
And with the way we're pitching and defending, we need EVERYBODY in this lineup to be fantastic if we want to stay afloat. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's true. Our ERA as a team in July has to be up around 6, and today is getting August right back where July left off after one good outing on the 1st and the defense has just sucked. It's difficult to watch, we'd be 4 or 5 games out without the offense in July and now early August.

Simply put, the Twins are better than the Sox right now. Hopefully things change over the last 50 games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Simply put, the Twins are better than the Sox right now. Hopefully things change over the last 50 games.

The Sox have turned into the Tigers the last 4 weeks when you think about it, and I can see why they are a .500 team that can't put together that run they need to in order to win the divison. Hard to win 8-6 everyday.

As for the Twins, I can't even worry that much about them right now, because if we don't play better it doesn't matter what they do. The way we're playing is just not good enough to make the playoffs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

i'm not ready to throw in the white flag yet, or proclaim the twins better than the sox, but these next 19 games will be important and will probably decide our fate, it's easy to be pessimistic after a loss like today but you have to remember our team is not playing at 100% right now, with our starting rotation running 4/5 of what we had when the season started, Crede and Linebrink are also both on the disabled list and Konerko is playing like a Rookie A-ball player, probably due to lingering injury(injuries?)

we play a lot of home games coming up, with a few road games in between. i'd like to see us go 13-6 over that span or 12-7 (or hell, 14-5 would be amazing). we've played awesome at home this year, one of the top 5 teams at home in all of baseball, and the twins are terrible on the road just like pretty much every other team

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
i'm not ready to throw in the white flag yet, or proclaim the twins better than the sox, but these next 19 games will be important and will probably decide our fate, it's easy to be pessimistic after a loss like today but you have to remember our team is not playing at 100% right now, with our starting rotation running 4/5 of what we had when the season started, Crede and Linebrink are also both on the disabled list and Konerko is playing like a Rookie A-ball player, probably due to lingering injury(injuries?)

we play a lot of home games coming up, with a few road games in between. i'd like to see us go 13-6 over that span or 12-7 (or hell, 14-5 would be amazing). we've played awesome at home this year, one of the top 5 teams at home in all of baseball, and the twins are terrible on the road just like pretty much every other team

I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet either, but we haven't been hit by injuries any worse than the Tigers or Twins have at times this year, and at the same time, our pitching is bad enough on the road, you can only expect it to reasonably get worse playing at our home park, which is so great for hitters. We have been great at home, but most of our home games were played back when our pitching was in the top 2 or 3 in the AL, and right now we are pitching as bad as anybody in the American League. Combine that with the defense, and there is reason for major concern right now. Hopefully the offense can continue to perform, we need them.

I think the ship has sailed as far as beating out the Twins. Not getting any sort of pitching help at the deadline was the end of this team's division title hopes. I'm not even getting worked up about the games anymore since my expectations for the season have been very much lowered. I'll obviously watch every game and so on but I'm not going to treat every loss like a kick in the balls.

On the other hand, I still think there's a chance at a wild card. Boston, New York, and Tampa all have difficult schedules, including a number of games against each other. Plus we've still got a number of games against those teams (which is both good and bad, depending on your perspective).

If you want to point your finger at something as the reason why we are in the situation we are in. Its not our record post ASB, its not the pitching tiring, hell its not even the injuries. It was when our pitching staff put up top shelf numbers at the beginning of the season and we were bouncing around as a 500 team because our offense decided to take a few months off. The stress and the wear and tear of our pitchers having to pitch perfect, because god forbid if the offense could scratch a few runs across the board. Its when we have 8 shutouts on our offense by early June. Pitchers have a few dead arms periods over the season. But we should have 5 or more wins than we have now. If we had a mediocre offense early in the season we wouldnt be in this situation. Now we are trying to survive injuries, and some tired arms at this point. We should of never have been in this situation.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
do the twins? tigers?

Tigers for sure don't but if Twins loose the luck is obviously on our side.

I missed the game today due to work, but I hear Mark was simply bad tonight.

Let's win one tomorrow and take care of business at home.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Sox dodged a bullet there....thanks Indians

It's nice to stay in first place, but a day out of first place in not the end of our season, contrary to the feeling of some posters on this board. As a matter of fact, the harsh reality of second place could be a nice motivator to get our game in gear.