8/3 Wsox vs Royals: Richard vs Grienke 1:10

GoodAsGould

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
"The market was ridiculous and out of control".

"You can't trade away a dollar if you only get back 50 cents".

"We currently don't have the resources to make trades due to Duane Schaefer's tenure, and the lies of David Wilder".

etc etc.

Chad Gaudin would sure look nice as our 5th starter.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
Acquire another starter by trading Floyd/Danks or Buehrle and Fields?

That really wouldn't make much of any sense from a long-term payroll flexibility standpoint, and we'd still have a huge hole in our rotation, bullpen, speed and defense. And I think Josh Fields is quickly losing some of the glow....I wish we could have traded Thornton a month or so ago and Josh Fields in the off-season for more pitching depth, even though we won't keep Crede IMO.

I'm trying to figure out why Fields is riding pine and Uribe is at 3rd, when Fields was "untouchable, and would compromise our future" on July 31st

hilarious

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
If Contreras isn't ready, then maybe we'll see Poreda?

Poreda has a chance to be a serviceable MLB pitcher at least, but he's nowhere near ready. We might see him though, you are right, but he'd have problems too and we could mess him up mentally if we bring him up this quick and let him get lit up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Baker's ERA is 4.14 on the road and Perkins is 4.17 on the road....that's way above average on the road.

I'd say that is average on the road.

Slowey has a 4.70 ERA on the road and Blackburn has a 4.50.

Below average was a little off for me to say but they are average and far from above average.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Acquire another starter by trading Floyd/Danks or Buehrle and Fields?

That really wouldn't make much of any sense from a long-term payroll flexibility standpoint, and we'd still have a huge hole in our rotation, bullpen, speed and defense. And I think Josh Fields is quickly losing some of the glow....I wish we could have traded Thornton a month or so ago and Josh Fields in the off-season for more pitching depth, even though we won't keep Crede IMO.

Well, the Cubs got Harden for nothing so maybe we could have inquired about that.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
This is such an old team that's pretty stupid if you're not going for it. It's only going to get worse.

We have a pretty good core with Beckham, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Swisher, Buehrle, Konerko (if healthy), Jenks (who we might have to think about maximizing his value by a trade...as our most tradeable piece). I guess we should have tried to get the maximum value out of Dye...but there's simply no way that KW could have done it this year, which is looking like a repeat of 2003 and 2006 down the stretch.

It's not looking quite as hopeless as it did coming into this season, actually. Assuming that Ramirez, Quentin, Danks and Floyd are for real and not one year wonders.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
I'd say that is average on the road.

Slowey has a 4.70 ERA on the road and Blackburn has a 4.50.

Below average was a little off for me to say but they are average and far from above average.

With the terrible road records in baseball this season, I would assume that the average ERAs for starters on the road is quite poor.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Well, the Cubs got Harden for nothing so maybe we could have inquired about that.

Even though they arent top level prospects, 3 of the 4 players had time in the majors with varying degrees of success

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)

Beane knows our system better than everyone else, he has, what, about 5-6 of our "top" prospects over the last 2-3 seasons?

Obviously, KW wasn't willing to give up Fields and Floyd/Danks to get Harden, who promptly would have gone down with season-ending surgery and everyone would have slit KW's throat as Danks/Floyd went out to create a 3 "aces" rotation in Oakland with Duscherer, etc.

I don't think we could have acquired Harden for Poreda and Fields, and, I can't imagine the reaction being positive if we made that move a month ago.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Chad Gaudin? What about Harden?

Our luck, we get Harden and his first start with us hes out for the rest of the season