Josh Fields

Frankensteiner

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 05:30 AM)
You would sign Blake and start him at 3B? That seems like a recipe for disaster...if we're really trying to improve our infield defense or sustain it at the same level it has been the last 3-4 years.

His FP lifetime is better then Brooks Crede's.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
His FP lifetime is better then Brooks Crede's.

Well, by that measure alone, Royce Clayton is a much better SS than Jose Valentin.

This debate happened over and over again about five years ago...with many asserting that Valentin's range factor and arm made up for many of the mistakes he made...as Clayton's lack of range and so-so arm resulted in fewer errors, but many batters reaching base that ordinarily wouldn't have. For instance, there's no way in h-ll that Cabrera is the second best AL SS this year...or that Alexei Ramirez is one of the worst, based on errors/FP alone, it just doesn't tell more than one tiny part of the story.

Same thing with Crede's first-step quickness...he gets to a lot of balls that other 3B wouldn't touch...and saves doubles and occasional triples as well by knocking down balls before they get down the line or into the outfield. These are the kind of stats that aren't easily measurable...like how many foul-outs and pop flies Ray Durham or Ramirez prevented from becoming singles or made into outs with their closing speed/range.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
As far as I can tell, right now, we're in the middle of a rebuilding year. We've got 2 2nd year pitchers in our rotation, a 1st year 2nd baseman, a quasi-rookie 3rd baseman up even though he's splitting time with people, a LF in his first full season, and a "CF/1b" who's signed for several more years that we gave up a handful of prospects for.

Couple of disappointments tossed in there, but after winning 72 last season, we rebuild enough on the fly to be in the pennant chase again this year.

i'd agree with that. i'd refer more to the mythical "rebuilding process" that some want to see.

if there is a tear it all down, build it up decision made that will span a few seasons, it will happen under another gm.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Giants...they're in a rebuilding phase, and signing one player like Konerko at his salary for two seasons won't put them over the top. In fact, one of the main reasons they're in the mess they are in is/was keeping so many veterans/aging players on their roster one or two years too long (players like Dave Roberts, Randy Winn, Durham, Aurilia, Zito), many with longer-term deals.

I'm not so sure about that.

Remember the Giants need to keep getting 3M in attendance every year to help pay off that ballpark. And while they do have some very good prospects, a lot of them are very young, so they won't be ready for a while.

And you know that Brian Sabean loves his veterans. If they can't sign a major FA, then they may have to trade for a player like Konerko and hope that he rebounds.

Or at least that's what I'm hoping for at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Well, by that measure alone, Royce Clayton is a much better SS than Jose Valentin.

This debate happened over and over again about five years ago...with many asserting that Valentin's range factor and arm made up for many of the mistakes he made...as Clayton's lack of range and so-so arm resulted in fewer errors, but many batters reaching base that ordinarily wouldn't have. For instance, there's no way in h-ll that Cabrera is the second best AL SS this year...or that Alexei Ramirez is one of the worst, based on errors/FP alone, it just doesn't tell more than one tiny part of the story.

Same thing with Crede's first-step quickness...he gets to a lot of balls that other 3B wouldn't touch...and saves doubles and occasional triples as well by knocking down balls before they get down the line or into the outfield. These are the kind of stats that aren't easily measurable...like how many foul-outs and pop flies Ray Durham or Ramirez prevented from becoming singles or made into outs with their closing speed/range.

Then how do you measure it? Sure, many more line drivers and sharp grounders down the line would probably fall and roll, but Blake makes less errors. I'm sure if you use that range factor stat that Crede is better in the field, though.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
Then how do you measure it? Sure, many more line drivers and sharp grounders down the line would probably fall and roll, but Blake makes less errors. I'm sure if you use that range factor stat that Crede is better in the field, though.

You use your eyes, man. Stats only tell part of the story.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
The more I see Fields play this season and see his AAA numbers, the more I feel like last year was a fluke. Watching last year, it was amazing to see Fields put up the numbers he did with what seemed to be an inability to hit a decent fastball.

Last year Fields was in shape.Maybe it's the injuries but,this year, to me, he looks to a bit heavier. I think he need to drop about 10-15 to get some quickness back.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)

By itself, FPCT is close to worthless as a stat.