Clayton Richard

Rooftop Shots

How much longer will we have this guy?

A "Tapper" hit back to the mound for an easy throw-out to homw plate. Just saw Clayton Richard toss it "WAY---AWAY" past Pierzinski. All this came after he walked 2 guys and they came around and scored scored on a double by Miguel Olivo. As I type this, a homerun was hit by KC. Now it's 5 to 0 KC. When will we learn? The name Clayton does not work for the Sox. Royce Clayton was a rag when we had him, and now another Clayton is raggin' it bigtime. Who's next for a try?? The Lone Ranger.......... "Clayton Moore??" After that, we're all out of Claytons.

This is merely his 3rd start. You cannot put a guy down like that. He's 24 years old and in his last 9 minor league starts he went 9-0 with a 1.-something ERA. The talent in obviously there. His stuff is pretty solid, just needs to work on location, location, location. Doesn't really worry me at all to be perfectly honest. Probably just nerves. I'd like to give him another chance after working with Buehrle, Danks, and Cooper in spring training of next year. He just needs to get over that big inning that he's had in each start and he could be a pretty solid option for us, IMO.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
This is merely his 3rd start. You cannot put a guy down like that. He's 24 years old and in his last 9 minor league starts he went 9-0 with a 1.-something ERA. The talent in obviously there. His stuff is pretty solid, just needs to work on location, location, location. Doesn't really worry me at all to be perfectly honest. Probably just nerves. I'd like to give him another chance after working with Buehrle, Danks, and Cooper in spring training of next year. He just needs to get over that big inning that he's had in each start and he could be a pretty solid option for us, IMO.

That's obviously not the case seeing as how he has a 2.37 ERA in Charlotte in 6 starts.

It's also quite a bit easier to pitch in the minor leagues than in the majors.

He deserves another chance at some other point, but he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation this season. He can go pitch for team USA in the Olympics.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
That's obviously not the case seeing as how he has a 2.37 ERA in Charlotte in 6 starts.

It's also quite a bit easier to pitch in the minor leagues than in the majors.

He deserves another chance at some other point, but he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation this season. He can go pitch for team USA in the Olympics.

It wasn't a stat that I looked up, Hawk mentioned it. He said the stats were between AA/AAA. Clearly is it easier to pitch in the minors, but that wasn't my point. My point is that he is obviously talented. I also think I heard that the team USA roster was announced and since Richard was in the Majors when they announced it, they replaced him. Unsure about that though.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
it's too soon to write off Richard.

He's an ex football player who's only been full-time baseball for three or four years.

But he needs work in the minor leagues. He needs good coaching. And he doesn't need his confidence totally shredded.

Send him back to Charlotte to regroup.

I agree its too soon to completely write him off, but he should not appear for sox anymore this year. Hes got promise and needs to spend more time in AAA and then perhaps get another shot at a later date, but as for right now he needs to go bye bye.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
But he has shown absolutely nothing in his 3 starts

Not exactly. He showed nothing today, but he looked good for several innings in his previous two starts (big innings in each of those hurt him).

Richard isn't ready yet, but he's pretty talented and may work out over the long-term. I wouldn't mind seeing him back up here next September.

I think Clayton Richard will be with the big club eating innings successfully before long. He absolutely can do it, but just like Buehrle and everyone else, he can't throw pitches right over the middle of the plate. As mentioned in the broadcast, he definitely wasn't throwing so many fat pitches in the minors or his fate would have been similar.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
I wouldn't expect much, but maybe he could be something decent someday. They need to put him on a plane to Charlotte with Logan and Wassermann.

Wasserman has been good since he returned

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
I think Clayton Richard will be with the big club eating innings successfully before long. He absolutely can do it, but just like Buehrle and everyone else, he can't throw pitches right over the middle of the plate. As mentioned in the broadcast, he definitely wasn't throwing so many fat pitches in the minors or his fate would have been similar.

/

The hitting in AAA is just terrible, why don't people realize this? Jo-Jo Reyes was amazing in the same league this year, and had an ERA over 5 with the Braves before getting sent down.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
it's too soon to write off Richard.

He's an ex football player who's only been full-time baseball for three or four years.

But he needs work in the minor leagues. He needs good coaching. And he doesn't need his confidence totally shredded.

Send him back to Charlotte to regroup.

I agree. He wouldn't even had been here these three starts, if Loaiza was still worth the effort and had anything left in the tank

Edited by elrockinMT

I have read everyones postings, and my main reason why I wrote what I did is that with the central race being as tight as it is, THIS IS NO TIME to go experimenting and waiting for a kid to grow. If you're 10 down or 10 up.....well, then go ahead. But we can't afford to lose games and get knocked around when we're in a title race this close.

We need professionals that will give us our best chances. This is no time to go playing around with someone that is wet behind the ears.

As far as his record in the minors goes..................well we went through this before with Felix Diaz 10-1 1:85 ERA, bring him up, gets shelled for 10 runs. Never to be seen again. Minors is just that.................... minors. THIS IS NO TIME FOR EXPERIMENTATION.

I do believe in giving kids a chance,,,,,,,,,,,but as I already stated. NOT WHEN your in a division race this close and it already cost us 3 games.

Checked on Jose Contreras rehab start in Charlotte. 5 innings giving up 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 walks and a homerun. Charlotte down to Durham 4-0 in the 5th.

Joe Crede was scratched again from todays lineup. 2nd day in a row

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
I have read everyones postings, and my main reason why I wrote what I did is that with the central race being as tight as it is, THIS IS NO TIME to go experimenting and waiting for a kid to grow. If you're 10 down or 10 up.....well, then go ahead. But we can't afford to lose games and get knocked around when we're in a title race this close.

We need professionals that will give us our best chances. This is no time to go playing around with someone that is wet behind the ears.

As far as his record in the minors goes..................well we went through this before with Felix Diaz 10-1 1:85 ERA, bring him up, gets shelled for 10 runs. Never to be seen again. Minors is just that.................... minors. THIS IS NO TIME FOR EXPERIMENTATION.

I do believe in giving kids a chance,,,,,,,,,,,but as I already stated. NOT WHEN your in a division race this close and it already cost us 3 games.

The Sox had to throw someone into the rotation with Count on the DL, it's not as if they just suddenly said "hey let's throw Richard into the rotation and see if we can find someone who will dominate the league and take a chance". Richard was the best option for the 6th man in the rotation, and he failed miserably...that's why I feel 100% that this team needs a 6th starter down the stretch, be it Paul Byrd or Miguel Batista with the Mariners eating a ton of the contract or whomever, because while this may be the Count's last DL stint, I doubt the Sox really want to stretch Danks' and Floyd's arms as much as they are on pace to do and so they could ultimately end up on the DL with a case of fatigue.

I almost feel sorry for Richard. My god have they teed off on him. There is no reason for him to throw another pitch for the big league team again this season. Next candidate, step up, son. Is it gonna be Haeger? I mean is it unanimous here that Richard cannot throw a pitch for the Sox again this season? He is brutal.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:03 AM)
I almost feel sorry for Richard. My god have they teed off on him. There is no reason for him to throw another pitch for the big league team again this season. Next candidate, step up, son. Is it gonna be Haeger? I mean is it unanimous here that Richard cannot throw a pitch for the Sox again this season? He is brutal.

Might as well be Poreda

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
I too would not like to chance seeing him pitch for our sox this year but he did look good striking Hamilton and others in the Texas line up. I don't believe he has enough poise to handle it right now.. however i wouldn't give up on him just yet.. He was thrown into the fire unmercifully I wouldn't be surpried to see him at spring training.. he does need some seasoning.. He's not ready for the fork he's not done yet... Buehrle didn't pitch much better yesterday...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)

I actually agree with you. After watching Richard since his first start I'll have to appoint him the title of scrub until proven otherwise. It's just another sad state of affairs for our minor league system, which really isn't a surprise.

I'd rather give Contreras another rehab start, promote Poreda (he pitched today so he'd fit right into Ricards spot) and do whatever afterwards. I don't care about service time at this point. We're competing for a division and can worry about Contreras later in the event Poreda does well. Even if Guillen plays the "Contreras is a veteran with past success....and he told me he feels good!" card, Poreda would only be down in the minors until September.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Charlotte has an open roster spot. Crede and Contreras don't count against the active roster limit. Contreras finishes up his rehab and gets activated, Richard gets optioned back to Charlotte and takes that open roster spot. Crede on the other hand...scratched two days in a row, might be a longer wait on him.