Clayton Richard

Rooftop Shots

I do not think Richard is a lost cause at all, and even though developmentally it would be best for him to go work on what hurt him up here down in AAA, he can absolutely get out Major League hitters. As a matter of fact, I think some coaching could potentially fix his problems. Today he couldn't locate, leaving lots of pitches over the plate. For some reason, many young pitchers start throwing only fastballs when they start to get hit. I have experienced this personally, there is no sound thought process to this happening but you could see it he becomes a one pitch pitcher, sometimes even when he is doing well. An emphasis on locating and changing up pitch sequences could go a long way for Clayton, no need to give up on him in the long term.

As far as Poreda, it would be very interesting to see him get a start with the big league club while the Count tries to solve AAA hitters. He certainly has the fastball and I'm curious to see how his other offerings have progressed. If he succeeds, he could become an asset in the pen as the long man and perhaps a fill-in if Jose completely implodes or another starter goes down for some reason. However, I would not let him take multiple shellackings like we have with Richard, because sending him to the big club could very well cripple his development if not handled delicately.

You could be right Jake but the Sox can't afford to trot him out there again. Unless the coaches are convinced start No. 4 will be the charm. He hasn't had a quality start yet has he? If they give him start no. 4 I'll assume Oz, KW and Coop see something. But after today I don't know how you could start him again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
You could be right Jake but the Sox can't afford to trot him out there again. Unless the coaches are convinced start No. 4 will be the charm. He hasn't had a quality start yet has he? If they give him start no. 4 I'll assume Oz, KW and Coop see something. But after today I don't know how you could start him again.

Yes this will probably be the end of Clayton's big league season, and you can't really argue against it with his lack of production. I was simply stating that he is capable of doing what was asked of him and that the many people wishing never to see him in our uni again would potentially regret that wish when he shows up in someone else's.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
I do not think Richard is a lost cause at all, and even though developmentally it would be best for him to go work on what hurt him up here down in AAA, he can absolutely get out Major League hitters. As a matter of fact, I think some coaching could potentially fix his problems. Today he couldn't locate, leaving lots of pitches over the plate. For some reason, many young pitchers start throwing only fastballs when they start to get hit. I have experienced this personally, there is no sound thought process to this happening but you could see it he becomes a one pitch pitcher, sometimes even when he is doing well. An emphasis on locating and changing up pitch sequences could go a long way for Clayton, no need to give up on him in the long term.

As far as Poreda, it would be very interesting to see him get a start with the big league club while the Count tries to solve AAA hitters. He certainly has the fastball and I'm curious to see how his other offerings have progressed. If he succeeds, he could become an asset in the pen as the long man and perhaps a fill-in if Jose completely implodes or another starter goes down for some reason. However, I would not let him take multiple shellackings like we have with Richard, because sending him to the big club could very well cripple his development if not handled delicately.

I agree that Richard is not a lost cause. But if he became a one-pitch pitcher, then that's on AJ and Ozzie. A rookie pitcher should never be able to shake off a veteran Major League catcher. Never.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I agree that Richard is not a lost cause. But if he became a one-pitch pitcher, then that's on AJ and Ozzie. A rookie pitcher should never be able to shake off a veteran Major League catcher. Never.

I believe Hall caught at least one of those games-and gave up on pitching inside-which was successful for him

If you had to be your life savings on an opposing batter smashing a hit against one of these Sox pitchers who would you pick to give up the immediate meatball? This is assuming the lefty pitcher faces a righty and the righty pitcher faces a lefty.

a.) Boone Logan.

b.) Wasserman.

c.) Clayton.

d.) Jose.

I think it's a tough choice, but I'd go with Boone giving up the immediate hit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
If you had to be your life savings on an opposing batter smashing a hit against one of these Sox pitchers who would you pick to give up the immediate meatball? This is assuming the lefty pitcher faces a righty and the righty pitcher faces a lefty.

a.) Boone Logan.

b.) Wasserman.

c.) Clayton.

d.) Jose.

I think it's a tough choice, but I'd go with Boone giving up the immediate hit.

Right now, Boone, assuming he throws a strike.