Your second place Chicago White Sox

fathom

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
It was also a team coming off of a horrid second half.

I believe it's been stated on here a few times, but the second half of 2005 wasn't as "horrid" as one would think. It was worse than the 1st half, but it had more to do with Cleveland's incredible play down the stretch. I want to say we were even pretty well above .500 for the second half.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
I believe it's been stated on here a few times, but the second half of 2005 wasn't as "horrid" as one would think. It was worse than the 1st half, but it had more to do with Cleveland's incredible play down the stretch. I want to say we were even pretty well above .500 for the second half.

Late August and early September were dreadful... I remember everyone here jumping out of the figurative window...

Comparing this team to the 05 team just isn't fair. That 05 team was one of the best teams EVER, some people still don't understand that apparently.

This team is definitely struggling right now but I still believe that we're the best team in this division. If(huge freaking if) Vaz can some how get back to pitching like he did in April and May then I think we'd have at least a shot to make some noise in the playoffs. If he doesn't then I think we're one and done, but lets get there and hope some things fall in place.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Negative doesnt start to describe you. It almost feels like you want the sox to lose so you can b**** at something

I want the Sox to lose? I complain about people complaining about Konerko, Thome, Contreras, Uribe..... and I'm Mr. Negative? If anything my post was a sarcastic post towards all the people concerned with White Sox draft picks.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)

Similar to Minnesotas incredible play at the moment

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
That's a myth. We're 14-14 since July 1st and they have gained 3 games, going 17-11. That's pretty good play, but nowhere near incredible.

Is 17-11 their record since we swept them at the Cell?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Is 17-11 their record since we swept them at the Cell?

No they are 32-16 since then if I recall, and that's awfully good. But my point is that our stretch of bad play really started on either July 1st (we're 14-14 since then) or the off day July 7th (10-12 since then), and Minnesota has only gained 3 and 2 games since those days. So it's not like they caught us because they played incredible, it's more that we are playing bad.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
No they are 32-16 since then if I recall, and that's awfully good. But my point is that our stretch of bad play really started on either July 1st (we're 14-14 since then) or the off day July 7th (10-12 since then), and Minnesota has only gained 3 and 2 games since those days. So it's not like they caught us because they played incredible, it's more that we are playing bad.

See, thats where Im looking at. We handed them their butts and sat back and they jumped right back into the race. 32-16 is pretty incredible IMO, especially coming off a sweep at the hands of your main rival

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
I'm tired of hearing about Liriano-he dont play every day-and if just one of their other starters gets lit up a week-it cancels him out

Seriously. He threw 6 innings of shut-out ball in that horrid stadium against probably the worst team in the AL. He gave up 3 hits and 3 walks with 5 strikeouts. Good, but not great, numbers, especially the 3 walks. Guaranteed if Gavin went out there with the same line against the Indians in the Cell, people would be talking about how he's due to fall apart and the numbers are a fluke, blah blah blah.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm tired of hearing about Liriano-he dont play every day-and if just one of their other starters gets lit up a week-it cancels him out

I have a feeling you wouldn't be so dismissive if the Sox picked him up at the deadline.

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
Seriously. He threw 6 innings of shut-out ball in that horrid stadium against probably the worst team in the AL. He gave up 3 hits and 3 walks with 5 strikeouts. Good, but not great, numbers, especially the 3 walks. Guaranteed if Gavin went out there with the same line against the Indians in the Cell, people would be talking about how he's due to fall apart and the numbers are a fluke, blah blah blah.

I think it has more to do with the massive, massive upgrade they made from Livan to Liriano, and how that is probably a 3-4 game swing in terms of wins for them the rest of the way. In all honesty, I don't think the Twins will play great baseball the rest of the way, especially with their schedule. However, the Sox are going to have to play above .500 baseball though, and won't be able to crawl their way across the finish line.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
I think it has more to do with the massive, massive upgrade they made from Livan to Liriano, and how that is probably a 3-4 game swing in terms of wins for them the rest of the way. In all honesty, I don't think the Twins will play great baseball the rest of the way, especially with their schedule. However, the Sox are going to have to play above .500 baseball though, and won't be able to crawl their way across the finish line.

I'm with you, if the Sox play like we've seen them play in the past, we can easily win this division.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
See, thats where Im looking at. We handed them their butts and sat back and they jumped right back into the race. 32-16 is pretty incredible IMO, especially coming off a sweep at the hands of your main rival

Well it is very good, but most of that was done the month after that series (rest of June and early July). We actually held off that run to remain in first place, and since that time the Twins have really cooled off. The problem is, we've pretty much fallen off the map to a .500 team in that same timespan and now have been passed.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)

The key question is...how long can the Twinkies keep up playing .667 ball? In 05, the only real reason Cleveland got back in to the race was that they spent about 2 months playing .750 ball. Both the Sox and Twins are right around .560 for the season right now. If they can keep playing .667 ball the rest of the season, you almost just have to tip your hat to them because you have to be one Hell of a team to keep up that level of performance over 4 straight months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
The key question is...how long can the Twinkies keep up playing .667 ball? In 05, the only real reason Cleveland got back in to the race was that they spent about 2 months playing .750 ball. Both the Sox and Twins are right around .560 for the season right now. If they can keep playing .667 ball the rest of the season, you almost just have to tip your hat to them because you have to be one Hell of a team to keep up that level of performance over 4 straight months.

The Twins won't play that well the rest of the way with all the road games they have left, they are just not the same away from the dome. The big question is if we are good enough to get our pitching back on track and start winning some series, because this division is there for the taking if we can.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
Folks mark my words ... We will win this thing or lose trying... B)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
What kind of prediction is that? :lolhitting

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
a noncommittal prediction

I'm taking a firm stance in my position: The Sox will or will not win the AL Central.

Edited by StrangeSox