Apology

WSoxMatt

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Appaently the White Sox received an apology from the umpires today...After reviewing the tape of the game, they decided that Carassco was not throwing at Olivo afterall...FWIW, its not often any employee of MLB admits they were wrong :lolhitting

i wonder if any sox players or ozzie will be getting any fines/suspensions then? and only Olivo+Greinke will be receiving them?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
Between the awful called 3rd on Thome, the way the HBP were handled today, and the blown call at 2nd base that cost us two runs yesterday....I wouldn't mind not seeing this crew again.

Umpiring has been brutal all over Major League Baseball. Not just against us as Hawk may think.

How the f*** can anyone believe Carrasco wasn't attempting to throw at Olivo? Why, because the bases were loaded and that would defy logic? That's EXACTLY why he would do it. If it weren't intentional wouldnt you think, after the second ball inside, maybe Pierzynski would move the mit a bit off the plate? It's like when someone is plunked on an 0-2 count and DJ (usually him) suggests, "that's not what he wanted to do on 0-2." Why not? It's actually the perfect time as you can have an excuse later; the "why would I do that in a (insert game situation)" excuse.

I know if I were Carrasco that's the time I would plunk someone. At the time of the incident we were behind 6-0 with Greinke dealing and the bases loaded. Ha, I can't believe people are falling for it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I think Carrasco was simply missing high and in. No one in their right mind would throw three pitches so near a guy's face on purpose. If he really wanted to hit him, he would have done more than smack the top of his head during the brawl.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Because bad calls are the ones magnified, simple as that.

Umpiring's a job where you're expected to be perfect on the first day, and then get better after that.

I feel that too many umpires are hyper-sensitive control freaks who are itching to throw anyone who dares argue a call, no matter how bad that call may be. You see these guys who tear their mask off and/or glare at dugouts immediately when players complain about bad calls - all they're doing is drawing more attention to the call when they over-react to the players like that.

I don't hold the players blameless in this at all, as there's also more histrionics and "showing up" from players than I've ever seen before, but too many umpires seem to have this idea that they are immune to scrutiny. If it were reasonably possible, I'd like for umps to have "umping averages" so people could see which ones call better games and who could use more schooling and/or minor league seasoning. That would never happen (even if there was a way to accurately grade them), but everyone else on the field can be scrutinized by trackable, performance-based numbers, so in a perfect world I'd like for the umps to be as well.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:37 AM)
I feel that too many umpires are hyper-sensitive control freaks who are itching to throw anyone who dares argue a call, no matter how bad that call may be. You see these guys who tear their mask off and/or glare at dugouts immediately when players complain about bad calls - all they're doing is drawing more attention to the call when they over-react to the players like that.

I don't hold the players blameless in this at all, as there's also more histrionics and "showing up" from players than I've ever seen before, but too many umpires seem to have this idea that they are immune to scrutiny. If it were reasonably possible, I'd like for umps to have "umping averages" so people could see which ones call better games and who could use more schooling and/or minor league seasoning. That would never happen (even if there was a way to accurately grade them), but everyone else on the field can be scrutinized by trackable, performance-based numbers, so in a perfect world I'd like for the umps to be as well.

It would also bring up an (excuse/reason) for teams to blame games on umpires...they'd just say "Hey look, he sucks at umping and it gets worse against so-and-so team."

That said, there are umpire stats kept somewhere and if baseball teams don't scout the umps as well as players coming up, then they should.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:49 AM)
It would also bring up an (excuse/reason) for teams to blame games on umpires...they'd just say "Hey look, he sucks at umping and it gets worse against so-and-so team."

That said, there are umpire stats kept somewhere and if baseball teams don't scout the umps as well as players coming up, then they should.

Yeah, it would, but teams (and announcers - I'm looking at YOU, Hawkeroo) do that anyway - it would be nice to see if a complaint had merit, if a particular ump did make bad calls more often "against" certain teams.

It just seems to me that the umpires' performance reviews are much more clandestine than they should be, and a little more accountability and transparency would be a good thing in my opinion. Weed out the under-performers and "call up" minor-league guys who show consistency and progress.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
I wonder what Olivo's career stats are against the Sox. It seems to me like so many former Sox, he's pretty much killed us at times. I could be mistaken, but Olivo seems like he feasts on us.

Career batting average of .222, .639 OPS... not really, although he has a decent OPS (.800) against us this year. I guess it's just one of those things that seems worse than it is.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
How the f*** can anyone believe Carrasco wasn't attempting to throw at Olivo? Why, because the bases were loaded and that would defy logic? That's EXACTLY why he would do it. If it weren't intentional wouldnt you think, after the second ball inside, maybe Pierzynski would move the mit a bit off the plate? It's like when someone is plunked on an 0-2 count and DJ (usually him) suggests, "that's not what he wanted to do on 0-2." Why not? It's actually the perfect time as you can have an excuse later; the "why would I do that in a (insert game situation)" excuse.

I know if I were Carrasco that's the time I would plunk someone. At the time of the incident we were behind 6-0 with Greinke dealing and the bases loaded. Ha, I can't believe people are falling for it.

Thank you.

Is it true that Olivo has been plunked a few times by the Sox since leaving? Wasn't he shipped off in the deal that got us Freddie G? IIRC, we were all surprised that he was dealt, it seemed to come out of left field. Later, we found out that the Sox were unhappy with his play, specifically his game calling, etc. I wonder if Ozzie has a little bit of a grudge against him?

Am I reaching?

It's fitting that the umpires would even get their apology wrong. They can say what they want, but I'm not sure what tapes they were watching because Carrasco was CLEARLY throwing at Olivo. I think based on Ozzie's reactions to everything that Carrasco was doing it on his own, and not told to do it by anybody, but he was throwing at him. The umpires should be apologizing for their work in this series, not so much for a beanball war. The good news at least is that Carrasco may dodge a suspension now, which is good because he's pitching relatively well for us.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
I wonder what Olivo's career stats are against the Sox. It seems to me like so many former Sox, he's pretty much killed us at times. I could be mistaken, but Olivo seems like he feasts on us.

.232/.271/.411/.682 in 56 at bats in his career against the Sox. He has come up with some important hits against us, so I can see why you think he's hurt us because in that sense he has, but those numbers aren't very good to say the least.

Edited by whitesoxfan101