Nick Masset's Reds career...

Steve9347

I'm only posting this because I have nothing against the guy. He would not have been a good starter in the AL, in my opinion, and this thread is not a "we shouldn't have traded him" thread.

However, I saw this interesting tidbit today...

The Reds are contemplating moving Nick Masset into the rotation after he threw three innings in relief of Homer Bailey on Friday.

"We were trying to stretch him out," manager Dusty Baker said. "He threw the ball very well. He gave us three quality innings." The Reds will get Aaron Harang back in a week or two, but they might prefer to drop Bailey from the rotation before then. If Masset does well, the team could always keep him in the rotation over Josh Fogg after Harang returns.

Why not move the kid into the rotation? He's pitched in Texas and the Cell over his first few seasons, and though Cincy's no picnic, the lineups in the NL are far more forgiving than the AL.

I hope Masset goes on to have a fine career in the NL, I do think he will be quite good. So, this thread is for following his exploits as he tries to become a key member of the Reds' starting rotation this year.

Is Arroyo a free agent at the end of this season?

At least if I'm the Reds GM, I'm hoping, if Arroyo doesn't leave, that I can develop a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey. Masset would be a "eh" option, because the other 3 young guys I have clearly have better stuff. If Harang or Arroyo are walking this offseason then that would make sense.

I don't know what they can count on with Homer Bailey. He's a guy that should have an ERA of 5 in the NL just on stuff alone.

He's 0-5, with a 7.55 ERA and 51 hits given up in 31 IP with only 14 K's to 14 BB's. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Is Arroyo a free agent at the end of this season?

At least if I'm the Reds GM, I'm hoping, if Arroyo doesn't leave, that I can develop a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey. Masset would be a "eh" option, because the other 3 young guys I have clearly have better stuff. If Harang or Arroyo are walking this offseason then that would make sense.

Arroyo still has 2 years and $22.5M left on his deal after this season. Harang has 2 years, $25.5M remaining. Both have team options for 2011 as well.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
I don't know what they can count on with Homer Bailey. He's a guy that should have an ERA of 5 in the NL just on stuff alone.

He's 0-5, with a 7.55 ERA and 51 hits given up in 31 IP with only 14 K's to 14 BB's. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Amazing how much his stock has fallen over the past season and a half.

I wouldn't mind having a look at him if he was available though.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)

Mr. Floyd, here's this new pitcher we acquired, Mr. Bailey. Why don't you 2 go to dinner or something, and then we've got an appointment with Mr. Cooper a little later in the night.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)

My brother (who is a huge Reds fan) has told me that Bailey has suffered from the fatal combination of too many walks and not enough strikeouts since he was called up to Louisville early in 2007, and looking at his baseball cube page, that appears accurate (especially looking at his hits/9 numbers). I know for a fact that Bailey has lost velocity, as his fastball has only been in the 90 to 93 MPH range this season. I am not sure if he has been pitching injured or what, but his stuff has really fallen off for some reason.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)

Absolutely. If he were available and the asking price was decent, he'd be a guy you'd have to look at considering Coop's track record. If he doesn't pan out, fine. We don't lose much. But if he does, then we've got another potential ace on our staff.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
Absolutely. If he were available and the asking price was decent, he'd be a guy you'd have to look at considering Coop's track record. If he doesn't pan out, fine. We don't lose much. But if he does, then we've got another potential ace on our staff.

I'd imagine it'll take one more year of this kind of struggling before the Reds seriously start thinking about moving him. He has to still have an option left next year right?