Richard optioned to Charlotte

Wassermann since his callup: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 4 BB (2 IBB though), 0 K, 2.84 ERA. He's starting to look like he might be back to 2007 form. I'd keep him around for now.

Also, I suggested this in the minor league thread... I have a feeling they are protecting Poreda, so if they send down Logan (which I think may happen), I think they'll call up Whisler. Not because Whisler is more talented (he's not), but because Poreda already has a ton of value. Whisler is a big question mark - no one can see a reason why he's doing so well in Charlotte. I think they may want to look at him for a week or two out of the pen, then bring Logan back for the stretch run.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Wassermann since his callup: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 4 BB (2 IBB though), 0 K, 2.84 ERA. He's starting to look like he might be back to 2007 form. I'd keep him around for now.

Also, I suggested this in the minor league thread... I have a feeling they are protecting Poreda, so if they send down Logan (which I think may happen), I think they'll call up Whisler. Not because Whisler is more talented (he's not), but because Poreda already has a ton of value. Whisler is a big question mark - no one can see a reason why he's doing so well in Charlotte. I think they may want to look at him for a week or two out of the pen, then bring Logan back for the stretch run.

There is zero doubt in my mind Whistler would have a hard time keeping his ERA under 8.00

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
There is zero doubt in my mind Whistler would have a hard time keeping his ERA under 8.00

Probably. Again, don't misconstrue here, I'm not saying that's what I would do. Just that I have a feeling its what the club would do. I think that when KW has marginal talent, ones that aren't top guys but might have a little value to him, he likes to throw in there to see what they can do. Both for the informational value, and for showing other teams.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)

I would agree. Whisler just doesn't have major league stuff (look at K numbers, he just doesn't miss bats) and that is a recipe for disaster. Poreda is the best bet for Sox minor leaguer performing well in the majors and that is a long shot right now too because he is still young and raw and never pitched above AA as well his lack of secondary pitches.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
Didn't see his last start, but Richard showed more promise than I thought he had. Hopefully, he just tweaks some stuff and comes out better.

I must be in the vast minority here, because I didn't see a whole lot in Richard that made me think much about his future with the White Sox. His stuff is average/below average, his motion isn't smooth, his location wasn't great, and his presence on the mound was shaky at best(getting rattled/giving up the big inning). I don't think we'll see him consistently in the White Sox starting five in the future. I'm chalking him up(probably too early) to being another in the sad recent history of failed number five starters.

For once, I'd like to see the White Sox bring up a pitcher who has a high ceiling. I've had enough of the Broadway's, Diaz', Danny Wright's, Haeger's, and Richard's. If I'm going to see a guy go through some type of rookie pains, at least let it be a guy like Poreda. At least he would be a guy that I could say, wow, we may have something here! I know, I know, Pereda isn't ready right now, but neither is a guy like Richard. The difference is, a guy like Poreda can make some mistakes down the middle of the plate and get away with it because he has plus stuff. So his struggles/mistakes may not be as noticable as a guy like Richard, who's just that, he's just another guy.

Edited by hawksox13

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)

That's a 1.58 WHIP w/ a 0 K/9 and he's stranded only half of the 4 runners he's inherited. Aside from the 2 ER in 6.1 IP the rest of his numbers are just bad.

His last outing against KC wasn't really fair considering he had prolly thrown well over his season high in pitches the night before, I'm sure it affected him, not to mention the fact that he's been the victim of a few bleeders and bloops.

Edit: Referencing Ehren.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
His last outing against KC wasn't really fair considering he had prolly thrown well over his season high in pitches the night before, I'm sure it affected him, not to mention the fact that he's been the victim of a few bleeders and bloops.

Edit: Referencing Ehren.

That, and that bases-clearing "triple" it took Griffey like 10 years to get to seriously affected his inherited runners scored stat.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
I would agree. Whisler just doesn't have major league stuff (look at K numbers, he just doesn't miss bats) and that is a recipe for disaster. Poreda is the best bet for Sox minor leaguer performing well in the majors and that is a long shot right now too because he is still young and raw and never pitched above AA as well his lack of secondary pitches.

neither had Samardja for the cubs, had he?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)

There is zero reason the Sox would bring up Whisler just to see for a week or two if he has what it takes (I've seen him pitch on a few ocassions and I can flat out tell you that he doesn't). Maybe I'll be wrong and when used as a reliever he'll turn into one of those guys that ends up being very effective because pitching out of the pen lets him pitch with an increased velocity.

However, if the Sox want a lefty in the pen, they aught to move Richard there. I know he struggled with some big innings but I'd feel quite confident in him as the guy in the back of the pen (plus he showed a pretty good knack at getting ground balls so he could develop into a good guy to bring in when you are looking for that key DP out of the pen).

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
I must be in the vast minority here, because I didn't see a whole lot in Richard that made me think much about his future with the White Sox. His stuff is average/below average, his motion isn't smooth, his location wasn't great, and his presence on the mound was shaky at best(getting rattled/giving up the big inning). I don't think we'll see him consistently in the White Sox starting five in the future. I'm chalking him up(probably too early) to being another in the sad recent history of failed number five starters.

For once, I'd like to see the White Sox bring up a pitcher who has a high ceiling. I've had enough of the Broadway's, Diaz', Danny Wright's, Haeger's, and Richard's. If I'm going to see a guy go through some type of rookie pains, at least let it be a guy like Poreda. At least he would be a guy that I could say, wow, we may have something here! I know, I know, Pereda isn't ready right now, but neither is a guy like Richard. The difference is, a guy like Poreda can make some mistakes down the middle of the plate and get away with it because he has plus stuff. So his struggles/mistakes may not be as noticable as a guy like Richard, who's just that, he's just another guy.

Technically speaking Felix Diaz was hyped as having a high ceiling. It didn't turn out to be the case because his stuff wasn't near as good as advertised.

I don't recall the Sox really using Haeger much, but if your going to put Danny Wright in the same group of those guys your nuts. Wright had as good of an arm and build as pretty much anyone in the current Sox rotation. Good velocity on the fastball, a very nice knuckle-curve. He had issues with his command and whenever it appeared he was going to figure things out he'd get hampered with an injury.

Hell, I'd take a 22 year old version of Wright over every guy in the Sox minor leagues (hate to say it, because it wasn't like he was an uber top prospect or anything but he was definitely above average) with the possible exception of Poreda (Poreda throws from the left side and has a little better velocity, albeit a less proven arsenal).

Richard didnt seem like a future major league starter to me either. Quite frankly, his secondary stuff is not good. His fastball is ok, doesnt sink as much as advertised and he has a difficult to repeat delivery. He may be a situational pen guy in the future, but nothing more IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
Only 37.1 innings in AAA.

a broadcaster on.... one of the channels, i don't remember which, said they had recalled him from single-A

im guessing that was misinformation

Edited by joesaiditstrue