You know you are from Chicago when...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
hmm my cousin goes to mizzou .. .hes lives in st. louis, big cubs fan

But he gets made fun of all the time for that. I have a friend who is from SE Missouri, big Cardinals country, and he was a die-hard Cubs fan and heard it all the time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
Ok, someone remind me ... it's been a few years. Who's number was Hudson3-2700?

I believe that was Magikist Carpets. . . "Call Buchelle at: [insert Deep Voice here] Hudson3-2700"

Why the hell is that still stuck in my head after all these years?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
I believe that was Magikist Carpets. . . "Call Buchelle at: [insert Deep Voice here] Hudson3-2700"

Why the hell is that still stuck in my head after all these years?

It's been stuck in my head for years as well. And yes, the very deep voice also.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Pop vs. Soda map

http://popvssoda.com:2998/

smalldrawn.gif

That map doesn't have pop stretching down to my part of Illinois, and I don't know any locals that call it soda.

Edit: Now that I visit the webpage, it just shows both soda and pop overlapping my area, which is still inaccurate but not as bad.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
That map doesn't have pop stretching down to my part of Illinois, and I don't know any locals that call it soda.

Edit: Now that I visit the webpage, it just shows both soda and pop overlapping my area, which is still inaccurate but not as bad.

Here is one done a few years ago, much larger sample, by county and percentage.

total-county.gif

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Yeah the loop is actually a very small area, very specifically defined by the area the L trains go around. If you're outside that, you're not in the loop... not even the area east of Wabash to the lakefront which is still in the heart of downtown.

Not true at all. The "West Loop" stretches all the way to Ashland. The "South Loop" stretches deep almost to the Stevenson. The El trains only go to Wells on the west side which means the Sears tower wouldnt be in the Loop according to your calculations.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
Not true at all. The "West Loop" stretches all the way to Ashland. The "South Loop" stretches deep almost to the Stevenson. The El trains only go to Wells on the west side which means the Sears tower wouldnt be in the Loop according to your calculations.

The West Loop and South Loop are the West Loop and the South Loop, those are different areas. The most specific, literal definition is the area the L tracks go around.

And no, the Sears Tower is technically not in the Loop either. If you define the "loop" as the general downtown area, then yeah, that's a much wider area.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
The pop one is good. Everybody that goes to Mizzou (not from Chicago) always says soda and I am just like: what?

I refer to it as soda.

And from Chicago area.

Just for the record. ;)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
The West Loop and South Loop are the West Loop and the South Loop, those are different areas. The most specific, literal definition is the area the L tracks go around.

And no, the Sears Tower is technically not in the Loop either. If you define the "loop" as the general downtown area, then yeah, that's a much wider area.

That's exactly right. All of those other areas have piggy-backed themselves onto the "loop" name so that they could raise the rents.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)

The "Loop" has been defined as the central business district since 1920, which is everything inside of the river boundries, so yes, it is in the loop. Pre-1920 it would have not been.

The "West Loop" is the business district just past the river to the highway, and beyond that to Ashland, which is a residential area, is called the west loop gate.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
The "Loop" has been defined as the central business district since 1920, which is everything inside of the river boundries, so yes, it is in the loop. Pre-1920 it would have not been.

The "West Loop" is the business district just past the river to the highway, and beyond that to Ashland, which is a residential area, is called the west loop gate.

http://www.chicagohome.com/NHDetails.cfm?NH_ID=27

This lists the boundaries as 45E (Wabash), 300S (Jackson I think, without looking at a map), 200 W (Wells) and 200N (Lake). (I didn't notice until after I typed this that the site has the street names right next to it, lol). Technically the Sears Tower, Michigan Avenue, and Grant Park are not a part of the Loop proper.

It's all semantics really and it depends on who you ask and how they define it. If you define it as the literal area where it got its name from, then it's the definition I gave which is a tiny area. If you define it colloquially as the heart of downtown, to include Grant Park, then it's everything inside the river and the lake which would be more or less the whole skyline.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
http://www.chicagohome.com/NHDetails.cfm?NH_ID=27

This lists the boundaries as 45E (Wabash), 300S (Jackson I think, without looking at a map), 200 W (Wells) and 200N (Lake). (I didn't notice until after I typed this that the site has the street names right next to it, lol). Technically the Sears Tower, Michigan Avenue, and Grant Park are not a part of the Loop proper.

It's all semantics really and it depends on who you ask and how they define it. If you define it as the literal area where it got its name from, then it's the definition I gave which is a tiny area. If you define it colloquially as the heart of downtown, to include Grant Park, then it's everything inside the river and the lake which would be more or less the whole skyline.

The University of Chicago made the definition of the loop to be the boundaries of the chicago river to the north and west in 1920.

In official city parlance, delineated by the University of Chicago in the 1920s, the Loop is community area of Chicago number 32, bounded by the Chicago River to the north and west, Roosevelt Road to the south, and Lake Michigan to the east

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
The University of Chicago made the definition of the loop to be the boundaries of the chicago river to the north and west in 1920.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
It's all semantics really and it depends on who you ask and how they define it.